• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My FitchBox (tm)

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I don't know if FitchVa has trademarked any name for his relay box, but after seeing it, I decided to try and make my own. I chose to do a 6 relay box in a 4x6x2" project box. I wanted it to be modular, just like Fitch's, except I wanted to have all of my connections outside of the box, so I wouldn't have to run anything else inside.

Here's how it turned out:
relaybox.jpg

Here's a closer look at the wiring:

relay1.jpg

LESSONS LEARNED:
1. No one knows what a Bosch style relay is anymore, and they are expensive in retail stores. Buy them online for <$2 ea
2. Buy connectors in bulk from somewhere other than Lowes, Advanced Auto, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc...they are expensive there
3. Measure twice, drill once. I would have rather had my input and output terminal wires coming from inside the box on top and the wires going to the battery and devices on the bottom. This would have made it easier to run the cabling and protect them from weather
4. Figure out a better layout for the terminals and Cat5e plug. They work, but the lines are going to be crossed once I hook everything up. I would have preffered to put the Cat5e jack (to switches) and 6 pos barrier (to lights & stuff) on the long side, and the two pos (to + & -) on the short side.

PARTS LIST:
Project Enclosure (4x6x2) 270-1806 (1)
Buss ATC fuse panel is BP/15600-06-20 (1)
Relays (6)
12awg Right angle terminal (12)
12awg ring terminal (9)
12awg female push on terminals (6)
18-20 awg female push on terminals (6)
Cat5e Jack (1)
Cat5e (1ft)
12awg wire black (dunno, didn't bother measuring)
12awg wire red (dunno, didn't bother measuring)
ATC fuses (6)
Single gange, single jack face plate cut down (1)
6 Position barrier strip 274-659 (1)
2 Position barrier strip 274-656 (1)

WRITE UP:
Here is the writeup I used from Fitch: http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=47

I'm still working on adding something to protect the terminals better. I might add something that fits between the lid and the box and covers the terminals...I just haven't figured out what that something is yet.

i have no idea what that is, or what its for, but it sure does look clean and pretty....

Thats pretty nice setup ya got there. I made one like that a while back but it turned out a lil bit larger than yours. I may just end up making another one... You have inspired me!

that is sweet, , i made one like the first one, but looks like i'ma find a way to combine yours and the first one,, but i think yours is a little cleaner and nicer

Jim, time to make me one. :) I really like the Cat5 connector you used instead of hard wiring it in.

Last edited:
:worship: very nice dude! way better than my first setup.

the scary thing is that i've been redoing mine a little at the time and it's scary how close ours are alike!!!

about the only differences are that i have my cat-5 connector on the same side as the power leads and i used a different style fuse holder. looks sweet man!!!

working in that small of a space brings the suck doesn't it? :D i found using some small rope/twine to "prerun" all of my lines really helped out in the planning. i wasted all of those connectors, but it really helped out the planning and overall design.

btw, i've got my writeup done on it i'm just working out some new kinks in my site. they moved my server and now my gallery isn't working.

Last edited:
53guy said:
Jim, time to make me one. :) I really like the Cat5 connector you used instead of hard wiring it in.
:spin1: my old version was like that. after i made my last version of the switch panel, i rewired the cat-5 portion of the relay box to use the cat-5 jack. :spin1:

I just found my next project. I bought all the stuff to do the original FitchBox, but couldn't find a place to mount it (my cubby is already in use). This might make mounting a little easier.

Great work and thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for the kudos everyone. I should have written a little disclamer saying:

If you do this and burn your jeep to the ground..."awwww it ain't my fault"

53guy said:

sure, as soon as you help install my gears and lockers, that sounds like an even trade right ;)

I can't take any credit for this, Fitch came up with using Cat5...hopefully 22awg wire is big enough for the signal amprage!

FitchVA said:
working in that small of a space brings the suck doesn't it? :D i found using some small rope/twine to "prerun" all of my lines really helped out in the planning. i wasted all of those connectors, but it really helped out the planning and overall design.

I think where I went wrong was misjudging the depth of the Cat5 jack. I thought I had some lower profile ones somewhere, but couldn't find them and gave up looking. Large tranded 12awg in 4x6x2 space is a bitch! I guess I could have used your new writeup!!!

Great work :thumbup: Now my question(s)... what is the advantage of doing this 'little' project? What would be the purpose behind it? What all could you wire up to that little box? Explain to me please... :farmer:

Bdiddy11 said:
Great work :thumbup: Now my question(s)... what is the advantage of doing this 'little' project? What would be the purpose behind it? What all could you wire up to that little box? Explain to me please... :farmer:

The idea is to have all your relays in the same spot. Less ghetto wiring in the jeep the better. When you start to add relays most people just put them the easiest place they can and its not always the safest or smartest place to put them.....then they add another set of lights....and then a locker....and then another....you can see where this is going. So you run Cat5 cable that keeps all the switch signal wires in a nice neat fashion then you can centrally locate all your relays to one spot so you only have one power in, one ground, and then your switch signal Cat5. Cleaner and smarter set up than most but it requires a bit of thinking and effort on your part.

FitchVA said:
:spin1: my old version was like that. after i made my last version of the switch panel, i rewired the cat-5 portion of the relay box to use the cat-5 jack. :spin1:

Yeah, I do remember that. Both are great designs and I just gotta figure out who's the lowest bidder of the two of you!

splitz said:
sure, as soon as you help install my gears and lockers, that sounds like an even trade right ;)

Hahaha, I guess so...I'll just add my disclaimer when I finish helping you with your gears.... (awww, not my fault!!) Seriously though, sure thing.

I gotcha. So... if I plan on running say 4-6 aux lights, power seats (hard wired in) stereo, a mini-fride (for longer camping trips etc) would this be something I should look into? I have a power dist. block in my engine bay already for my power seats.

The other question I have... so it only has one 'power' source where you would turn everything on? Or am I wrong? Kinda like turning the switch to 'on' would give power to my lights/fridge/seats etc...Or would the lights have their own switch once the power to the FitchBox is on?

Bdiddy11 said:
I gotcha. So... if I plan on running say 4-6 aux lights, power seats (hard wired in) stereo, a mini-fride (for longer camping trips etc) would this be something I should look into? I have a power dist. block in my engine bay already for my power seats.

The other question I have... so it only has one 'power' source where you would turn everything on? Or am I wrong? Kinda like turning the switch to 'on' would give power to my lights/fridge/seats etc...Or would the lights have their own switch once the power to the FitchBox is on?
i don't mean to answer for him, but the original design objective for my switch box and relay box was modularity and adaptability. you have all of your switches in one place and you have your relays all in one place (but not necessarily in the same place as the switches).

i originally didn't need 7 switches or 8 relays, but having them all "pre run" so to speak allowed for easy future electrical accessory installs. all that would be needed would be to run 1 power wire from the relay box to the part needing juice (as well as grounding it). but no complicated routing throughout and all around.

here's an overall layout of my old old system (a few versions ago :laugh2: )

switchpanel02_wiring.jpg

and the relay box...

relaybox01_wiring.jpg

you can wire it up so 1 switch will cut everything on, or 1 switch per relay. that part is totally up to you.

I gotcha now. So if I were to run lights on the bumper and lights on top, and only wanted to run the roof lights I could have 2 seperate switches so just the roof lights come on and not the bumper lights as well. Or a switch to turn the power on to my power seats?

What's the overall cost give or take on a project like this?

Thanks for the reply Fitch. It helps me understand the 'why' and 'what for' aspect of it. Definately makes sense to do.

Back