• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My CB Install Thread

Also, don't coil up excess coax into a nice, neat coil. Coils introduce inductance into your antenna system and can make a good match almost impossible to achieve. Just bundle it up randomly and stuff it somewhere out of harms way. Proper grounding is a MUST. At the antenna (and whatever its mounted to) and at the radio. Antennas on a hatch, trunk lid or hood generally have poor grounding due to the hinges. A flexible ground strap from hatch to body is cheap insurance (I saw one in the pics). Base loaded antennas mounted below the rooftop can be shielded by the body. Bumper mounts can be rugged but are a poor choice for a wagon type body. But, compromises must be made in mobile installations. Reality sucks. Not many could live with a 9' whip in the middle of the roof.

Short antennas usually are "narrow banded". Meaning they often don't provide a good match over the entire 40 channels. If you use a short antenna, be sure to check the SWR at 1 and 40. If you must use a short, narrow banded antenna on the trail, simply adjust the antenna for a good match at the channels you plan to be operating on. Off the trail, you can screw on a better, longer antenna for general use.

Please avoid CB amps. They are crap. No matter what the sellers tell you. Splatter, harmonics, fuzzy audio...they're just not very good. A properly designed and built amp is a spendy affair. Besides being illegal, they just....well....suck, for lack of a better term.

Sideband radios can be a lot more fun to use but there is a bit of a learning curve due to the fine tunning required. Voices can sound very odd at first. Once you get the hang of it, its great! I won't buy a CB without sideband (not that I buy many CBs these days).

Ham is great fun also. So much to do, so many frequencies to use. But you will also need a CB for your trail rides as most others won't be hams. I run a Yaesu FT-2800 in my '90 Cherokee. Been thinking of going HF also.

BTW, my call sign is N4ZYV.

Well, after a year, it's working ok. The new antenna mount rusted to the point the radio would only work on rainy days. I'm in the process of making a new one from stainless steel at work. I'll try to get pictures of it tonight.

I did make a change to the mic hanger. I had it facing backwards since it was so close to the roof. I had to keep a rubber band on it or it would come flying off and invariably hit Julie in the knuckles every time. I took some aluminum flat from work I found on the back side of the Tinner's large shear and cut it to length, trimmed it and the cb bracket some and here's what I got!

0908091533.jpg

0908091534.jpg

0908091534a.jpg

Sorry about the low quality pictures, my cell phone is all I have with me.

Very nice install! I highly approve. I haven't built my CB antenna bracket yet, figured I'd do that this weekend... bolted the CB to my dash a few weeks ago as I'm installing an OHC soon and have an airhorn pullchain to worry about up there too. I'll definitely be stealing some ideas from you on the antenna mount.

As for antenna theory - everyone's pretty much covered everything that needs to be said. I have my FT2800 2-meter rig mounted in the factory radio's dash position (it was broken anyways) and connected to a crappy magmount right now, but will be hacking up my factory radio antenna bracket and putting a 2-meter antenna there instead soon. I intend to put a 70cm radio somewhere or other eventually too, but I haven't figured out where and don't really want to make my car look like a porcupine with too many antennas, so I might install a duplexer and put a dual band antenna in the factory position instead.

I'm W1KAS btw - did not realize there were so many hams on NAXJA!

I'm going to order the General License study guide next pay day and start studying for my HAM license. Then I've got to find a radio and all that wonderful stuff. Doubt I put a HAM in the Jeep, at least not till I've gotten some other things taken care of around the house.

You would be surprised how many HAMS there are on NAXJA...
Oh wait... you were referring to radio communication....
Yeah theres alot of Ham Radio operators too !!!!

Hope to meet some of you in Moab this October.

Charles
KG6VVM

Holy old thread Batman!

One of the rigs I used to see the most of at Hamfests in the 90's were Jeep Cherokees.
Some of them were essentually antenna farms on wheels.

Most folks around here use CB, FRS, or GMRS to communicate while wheeling. The reason is simple: lcd (Lowest Common Denominator). It's simple, they don't need to take a test, and most folks can find the "talk" button.

Gee, come to think of it, Amateur Radio is getting that way also ;)

Ron
WB9YZU

Here in Southern California while the CB is still used at events...; there are A LOT of members getting their Technicians License so they can talk on 144Mhz.
The 2 meter radios have become quite popular on the trail over the past couple years... between the HTs and the Mobile radios....

Last edited:
Here in Southern California while the CB is still used at events...; there are A LOT of members getting their Technicians License so they can talk on 144Mhz.
The 2 meter radios have become quite popular on the trail over the past couple years... between the HTs and the Mobile radios....

Well, atleast their being legal about it :)

I imagine it's a frequency crowding issue. The same reason why many CA R/C operators are HAMs. Most have never used any radio besides their 6 meter R/C controller.

Ron

2 meters is great. Love the FM quality of the transmitted signals. Now if someone comes up with a portable repeater to take to the event, you'd really have something nice! lol

There's a couple guys around Pulaski that built a repeater with two old radios. Couldn't you conceivably use say two 12V truck batteries, add a solar battery charger from the auto parts store and an antenna. Use seperate boxes for the batteries and radio, with an antenna mounted on a mast similar to an old TV antenna pole, and just strap it to a tree or fence post. Portable enough I'd think.

There's a couple guys around Pulaski that built a repeater with two old radios. Couldn't you conceivably use say two 12V truck batteries, add a solar battery charger from the auto parts store and an antenna. Use seperate boxes for the batteries and radio, with an antenna mounted on a mast similar to an old TV antenna pole, and just strap it to a tree or fence post. Portable enough I'd think.

They make antenna masts that have a plate on the bottom. You drive your vehicle on top of the plate and it hold the mast up! Yep a tow rig would be good for a repeater. The only bad thing would be the cavities you'd need to do the .600 kHz split between the transmitter and receiver. Now if you did a non-standard offset or used 70cm in and 2m out it would get even easier. I had a ICOM IC-2710h that had built in repeat, but it was that 2m/70cm repeat thing. You'd have to have a dual band rig in your Jeep, or dual band handy talky.

Oh and you need someway to send out the call sign of the repeater every 10 minutes.

Did some checking a while ago... and there are two 2 meter repeaters in the Moab area.... IIRC they are 146.760 and 146.900 with a -88.5 PL tone....
Might be able to use them on the trail or just use Simplex of 146.520.

...Some of them were essentually antenna farms on wheels...

Ron
WB9YZU

haha yeah, I HATE that look... you might be amused by www.hamsexy.com based on your comments :) One of my favorite sites. I'm trying to keep my car from having more antennae than an insect orgy, pretty much.

This would be pretty easy - I've been looking at doing an open source design for a universal repeater controller module recently, though I haven't gotten much down on paper yet. Luckily most prebuilt radios these days have CTCSS/DPL tone encode/decode support so it's really just DTMF decode, input/output prioritization, voice+Morse synth, and some timing that needs to be handled. Bandpass/bandstop cavity filters get huge if you're doing anything below 70cm (ever see a set of 6m cans? yikes! could make a good bumper out of them... for a Mack truck) though.

EDIT: I think chitchat/squatting on 146.520 is frowned on, but pick any other unused freq in the 2m simplex range and you'd be fine; could even be decided on the day of the event while organizing via 146.520 (as that frequency is intended for)

I think chitchat/squatting on 146.520 is frowned on, but pick any other unused freq in the 2m simplex range and you'd be fine; could even be decided on the day of the event while organizing via 146.520 (as that frequency is intended for)

Yeah... The members that had 2 meter radios would chat on FM while the others talked on AM....

My Jeep has 2 antennaes on it... 10 meter, 2 meter/70cm....

Really like the set up. I'm running a Galaxy in the same location. The 102" steel whip is the best you can get and you are right about how that antenna will recieve and transmit. When you check the SWR's do it on 1, 20, and 40 and if they are high on 40 you should shorten the coax and if they are high on 1 you should lengthen it. That is the simplest way to get it in the ballpark and once it is in the safe range then you can fine tune it. Great wright up and it looks great, thanks.

Nice looking mount!

I tend to stay away from 102" whips. They are no good when you are moving as they sway back and don't stay vertical. They are also not safe off-road because of their length and tendancy to sway. All of the off-road parks around here have a 48" antenna limit.

Ron

Back