• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My CB Install Thread

terryd said:
I'd like to come down and ride Lignite with you guys the next time you go. We'll have to see how the $$ situation goes though. I hate I had to leave the SWVa ride.

I understand why you left early Terry, I've got kids too, they don't always wanna do what we do!

I'm looking forward to wheelin' with you and your family again, unfortunately I will be tied up for the next 7 Saturdays coaching my football team, after that though I'm freed up.

Mudderoy said:
Sounds like a 2 meter antenna or a scanner antenna. You should be able to find a plastic plug made to cover that hole. Check with an electronics store that carries ham and scanner antennas.

Man this antenna doesn't pick up crap. I was literally driving beside the interstate and couldn't pick up any conversation at all:dunno:

I tried a bunch of different antenna mounts and could not get crap. Finally I listened to everyone who told me to go with a magnetic mount on the roof (gives a nice large ground plane) and went with the tri-magnet mount. This thing is great and I got my SWR numbers down nice and LOW (don't recall the exact number but it was about perfect). I just have to add a spring now since the antenna took a beating last time off-road.

Here is a link to the one I purchased http://www.cbradiosplus.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=852&idcategory=0

BTW I also use the same basic aluminum CB mount that was shown in the beginning of this thread with a ground wire connected back to the visor mounting screw. This setup is awesome and works great. Mine is installed on an 01 XJ.

did you have your antenna mounted to plastic before. that was your standing wave problem. 2, the radio is grounded through the - lead on the power wire, though more ground is always better. and 3, why have i never seen a setup like mine?

Ok, so my previous mount broke. 1/8" aluminum is not strong enough for an antenna mount.
DSCN2546.jpg

So, to counter this, I went over to Matt's shop and we bent/welded up a 3/16" steel mount and I built a brace to go on the inside of the gate and keep the sheetmetal from flexing as much.

DSCN2549.jpg

DSCN2547.jpg

DSCN2550.jpg

I also added an extra ground strap from one of the mounting screws to the wipermotor mounting screw. I checked everything with an ohm meter and it all has good connections.

My $35 Wilson antenna's radiator/conductor came un-soldered from the base and caused a little problem, but I removed the sheething from it and re-soldered it and put some industrial heat shrink with adhesive over it. Right now, I have a 102" whip installed, and with the new mount and brace, there is no movement in the bracket this time. I've got the whip on for now because it has almost perfect SWR and amazing radiation. I'll try to get some pictures of it all installed this evening.

terryd said:
Well, after two days of trying to get the SWR down, I'm still not getting better than 3.3:1 with a 3' fiberglass whip turned all the way down and a spring. I'm considering a taller, top loaded Firestick, something like a 5', with a heavier spring to try to get it down. Any other suggestions from you guys? I talked to a guy at a local CB shop and he was just pissed about where I mounted my antenna and basically refused to do anything but tell me to move my antenna. :helpme:

The other members have made quite a few recommendations, but....the first problem is obvious... while you did a nice installation.... you should consider moving the antenna to the center of the roof. This is the best location for transmitted and received signals.....
With your antenna in the location it is...; received and transmitted signals WILL be directional... This means you will hear transmitted signals from behind the vehicle very well, but ones from the sides and front will be dramatically decreased.... and your transmitted signals will also be heard mostly from behind the vehicle...
With high SWRs readings like that.... I would remove the 90* connection from antenna and then read the continuity with a multimeter to ensure there are not shorts to ground or between the center core lead and the ground shielding. IF infinity is read; as it should be... then check the SWRs at the coax connector that attaches to the radio. IF SWRs are still high... then you need to run a braded grounding strap from the uni frame (ensure good clean connection) to the antenna mount. This will provide a larger ground plane and give your antenna some load using the vehicle body....
Wilson makes a antenna that is used by truckers with an extension shaft that will move the base of the antenna to above the roof line..., but this will stress your existing mount....

The setup I have run for 11 years on my '98 is a Wilson 1000 magnet mount located on the center of the roof. The radio I use varies from either a ICOM IC 706MK2G, Cobra 148 GTL SSB (old style) or Uniden Grant LT SSB along with a Yaesu FT 2200 2 meter...
I can talk as far as I want and when I am in mountains I can talk as far as conditions allow....
Remember... the ANTENNA makes the system... A good quality antenna will make a cheap radio perform well, but a cheap antenna will make a quality radio perform poorly....
All depends upon what you are trying to accomplish and what your needs are; as to how much you spend and where you locate your antenna.

Last edited:
My $35 Wilson antenna's radiator/conductor came un-soldered from the base and caused a little problem, but I removed the sheething from it and re-soldered it and put some industrial heat shrink with adhesive over it. Right now, I have a 102" whip installed, and with the new mount and brace, there is no movement in the bracket this time. I've got the whip on for now because it has almost perfect SWR and amazing radiation. I'll try to get some pictures of it all installed this evening.

This new installation sounds like a much better one.... 102" whip with good grounding is certainly the way to go.... SWRs will almost always be 1:1 with that antenna.
Be carefull when offroading....; some offroad events will limit the length of the antenna...
Any thoughts about upgrading your radio ???

1st off, did you read the entire thread? I've had my SWR's in the 1:1-1.5:1 for a while now.

CharlesS said:
and your transmitted signals will also be heard mostly from behind the vehicle...

2nd: This contradicts everything I've read and heard. CB's transmit twards the largest mass of metal in the ground plane, so assuming I had my Jeep parked directly north, I'd be transmitting in a north/northeast direction. I've got a friend in HAM radio, an Uncle in HAM radio, and a book written by a master of radio communication that all say this is the case.

Remember... the ANTENNA makes the system... A good quality antenna will make a cheap radio perform well, but a cheap antenna will make a quality radio perform poorly....

Too true! That's why I have a $35 Wilson 5' fiberglass whip and a 102" SS whip on it now instead of the $12 Radioshack 60" whip. I seem to be getting out better with the fiberglass whip, but I don't have any friends around here with CB's that work that can help me verify this.

IF you want a CB radio that will do SSB and that is durable for the conditions of the trail....
I have run a old style Cobra 148 GTL and Uniden Grant LT and they have worked flawlessly.... Great transmit and receive...

When I get out of school, I'm thinking about getting a Cobra 148GTL for my trucks and a HAM radio (gonna get licensed when I get out of school and have time to study and learn) and probably a Gen AP Hill run through a linear amp both as base units. My buddy Don and my Great Uncle are both pushing for me to leave the CB stuff alone and go HAM, but I still want to talk to some of the locals on CB...

1st off, did you read the entire thread? I've had my SWR's in the 1:1-1.5:1 for a while now.

2nd: This contradicts everything I've read and heard. CB's transmit twards the largest mass of metal in the ground plane, so assuming I had my Jeep parked directly north, I'd be transmitting in a north/northeast direction. I've got a friend in HAM radio, an Uncle in HAM radio, and a book written by a master of radio communication that all say this is the case.

Too true! That's why I have a $35 Wilson 5' fiberglass whip and a 102" SS whip on it now instead of the $12 Radioshack 60" whip. I seem to be getting out better with the fiberglass whip, but I don't have any friends around here with CB's that work that can help me verify this.

The only way you can know for sure is to use a field strength meter. Remember that different antennas have different radiation patterns. For example a top loaded antenna will have the signal pointed towards the ground "ground wave" instead of going up to the sky "sky wave". This type of antenna would "seem" to work better locally because more transmit and receive signal would be directed to local stations. However if you wanted an antenna that allowed you to use the ionosphere "skip" or "DX" you would want an antenna that sent the signal skyward, towards the ionosphere.

CB is supposed to only be used for local "ground wave" stations, but in HAM radio 99.9% of HF is "sky wave". The 102" whip is a good all around antenna, but it may not give the best signal for local or "ground wave" use. :listenmus

When I get out of school, I'm thinking about getting a Cobra 148GTL for my trucks and a HAM radio (gonna get licensed when I get out of school and have time to study and learn) and probably a Gen AP Hill run through a linear amp both as base units. My buddy Don and my Great Uncle are both pushing for me to leave the CB stuff alone and go HAM, but I still want to talk to some of the locals on CB...

Your buddy and uncle are giving you good advise... HAM radio allows you communicate easier and further than the standard CB (chicken band) 11 meter band.
For CB (11 meters) I run the Cobra or the Uniden and a Yaesu FT 2200 for 2meters , but most of the time I run an ICOM 706MK2G; which covers all the bands I need for offroading and talking DX while up in the mountains....
A Technicians License will allow you to talk on a small portion of 10 meter between 28.0-28.3 Mhz) and frequencies and bands above 50 Mhz. The General License will all you to talk almost all of the HF, UHF and VHF bands....

I'm going 2-meter as well Terry, CB is good for rig to rig talking but if there is a real emergency I want something that can get out of the mountains we wheel in. We all know how bad the cell service is around here!

For a CB I'm running a basic Uniden PC68. Its a durable radio but its on a big frame. Although it does fit between the visors just fine.

My goal is to get my Tech license this winter.

Jon, I want to get my tech. license this winter too. I was looking at a Ranger 2950DX this morning after Don reccomended it to me. I can definately see where the HAM stuff would be nice on the trail. There is 0 cell reception in Harlan and Uwharrie and hardly anyone anwsers a cb break that isn't for their own group.

2 meter is really cool. Love that FM and a squelch. Handy talkies are relatively cheap, and cover a good distance. Basically it's like I thought a walkie talkie would work like when I was a kid. They sucked, 2 meter FM doesn't.

2 meter is really cool. Love that FM and a squelch. Handy talkies are relatively cheap, and cover a good distance. Basically it's like I thought a walkie talkie would work like when I was a kid. They sucked, 2 meter FM doesn't.

That sounds cool! Don's looking for a 2meter to stick in his Yota. I don't think I'll go 2meter in the truck, but I may look into one of those hand held units. What brand/model do you like?

That sounds cool! Don's looking for a 2meter to stick in his Yota. I don't think I'll go 2meter in the truck, but I may look into one of those hand held units. What brand/model do you like?

I've only used ICOM. Yaesu is good. Kenwood would be my last choice, but others really like the Kenwood products.

As for which model? Well if you are going to roof mount it a nice cheap one piece unit. If you are going to mount it somewhere else then a model with a detachable face. So little room in a Jeep this makes the mounting of the radio so much easier as you can put the control unit (face) pretty much anywhere you like.

Jon, I want to get my tech. license this winter too. I was looking at a Ranger 2950DX this morning after Don reccomended it to me. I can definately see where the HAM stuff would be nice on the trail. There is 0 cell reception in Harlan and Uwharrie and hardly anyone anwsers a cb break that isn't for their own group.

Ranger Electronics whose factory is in National City (San Diego), California makes a nice product; far superior to Galaxy.....
I previously owned the Ranger 2950 DX.... While they are a nice radio with alot of nice features, the display is prone to damage and the receiver picks up quite abit of surrounding stray RF along with the vehicles operating noises...... It's difficult to hear signals at a distance when there is so much static...
Ranger makes other models which are more durable, have the same features and the receive is quieter....
For about the same price.... I would suggest you look into the RCI 6300F or the 6900F; they last longer and perform better.

Back