• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it Worth it to come down from Buffalo NY

toates89

NAXJA Forum User
So i would love to go to NACfest but i cant so me and the GF are thinking about Driving down to Harlen. It would be a 10 hr drive which i dont mind other than the dumb gas prices but i could use a nice long road trip.

Should i wait to rocktober fest?

what % of the trails will i be able to do with 31's mudders and a 3.5 inch lift? i am not afraid to scratch the paint i just dont want to slow everyone down and get yanked through the entire way

The Crawl is a great time. You would be very welcome here. The trails are great and with 31's and 3.5" you won't be short of places to run. We have a lot of guys that were at that very same configuration last year and ran for 2 or 3 days straight. You can run some of the rock gardens which are pretty fun.

I was at 31/3.5 last year and had a great time. I know UNCC_99XJ was the same. PacificEd is close to that, but has 32s, and I belive Flexd was at that height also.

We call those the "easy runs" but there is plenty of challenges involved. Come on down!

It's worth it! ...this is my one Big vacation each year, and would absolutely hate to miss it!

I've been to Harlan with my XJ at 3" and 30s open/open, and 5" and 35s locked... Had a blast either way! There are a ton of trails, and I have yet to see some of the "big" stuff...

In 2008

l_81fa3e3e04e6cd5ff212e2ab08103a08.jpg

l_7d0d1adff8726c67747a323726dd8031.jpg

Don't have any pics uploaded from 2011 when I ran on 35s...

...gonna run the Willys this year

l_9692aebda6a94a108924ae471af37a77.jpg

l_b1971f547cce478a94899d1544a6e271.jpg

(Crawl 2009 @ Morris Mountain)

Last edited:
Yes it is, Kastein drove longer than that to come to a dirty old quarry in Indiana. Harlan is about 123981094820398% better than the Badlands. Hop in the easy group with PacificEd and I and we'll take you to however hard of an obstacle you want to try. Like dirk said, I am on 32's. Its also my DD and i'm driving 5 hours to wheel! :D

Harlan is a great place to ride. I highly recommend coming if you can. The park has something for everyone and if you can't do the hard stuff, there are places to pull over and watch.

Harlan requires that your vehicle be in good shape. Please be sure your cooling system is working properly as you go uphill for the first 20 minutes getting up to the top where the trails begin. Also make sure you trans and brakes are in good shape to.

My cooling system has entirely been redone in last 3 years and i have a remote fan turn on switch

sounds scary saying it but i would be riding the trails with a ba10 and turdy 5. i dont plan on dumping the clutch on any rocks so hopefully i can pull through i wheeled with my last ba10 then one day i was rolling backwards in the st and i thought it would be funny to do a burnout 2 days later. kapowie . open open

as everything else goes
i need
first aid kit
fire extinguisher
front tow hook(would 1 be alright?)
c

would anybody who has room mind if i tag alone for one of the heavier trails. only trail riding i have done has been on longisland and theres not much there

My cooling system has entirely been redone in last 3 years and i have a remote fan turn on switch

sounds scary saying it but i would be riding the trails with a ba10 and turdy 5. i dont plan on dumping the clutch on any rocks so hopefully i can pull through i wheeled with my last ba10 then one day i was rolling backwards in the st and i thought it would be funny to do a burnout 2 days later. kapowie . open open

as everything else goes
i need
first aid kit
fire extinguisher
front tow hook(would 1 be alright?)
c

You could get by with one tow hook. This is a completely different experience for someone whose never driven up a mountain before! :D Ed and I won't be doing any crazy wheeling but there are a few places that get pretty rough so tow points are important. You could drive all day and not touch a trail there if you didn't want to.

I'm praying it will be dry this year.

You could get by with one tow hook. This is a completely different experience for someone whose never driven up a mountain before! :D Ed and I won't be doing any crazy wheeling but there are a few places that get pretty rough so tow points are important. You could drive all day and not touch a trail there if you didn't want to.

well i have rear hitch, just looking for something up front

Yeah, I meant you could get by with one up front. A hitch is perfect for the rear.

i am not afraid to scratch the paint i just dont want to slow everyone down and get yanked through the entire way

That's the best part about this group...everybody enters the trails, and everybody leaves. Period. No matter how long it takes. And there's no shame in turning back or taking a different route around an obstacle if you don't feel comfortable. Most of us in the easy group drive ours there and have to drive ours back 5+ hours each way, so we all understand not wanting to blow it all to pieces on the trail.

As Dirk mentioned, I was a member of the 31's open/open 3.5" lift crowd last year and had an absolute blast. This year i'll be at 32's, locked/lsd, 4.5"...so i'm very anxious to see how it does :)

269498_927696382217_6920589_n.jpg

The easy run group from last year:

261911_927695269447_7597232_n.jpg

That's the best part about this group...everybody enters the trails, and everybody leaves. Period. No matter how long it takes. And there's no shame in turning back or taking a different route around an obstacle if you don't feel comfortable. Most of us in the easy group drive ours there and have to drive ours back 5+ hours each way, so we all understand not wanting to blow it all to pieces on the trail.

As Dirk mentioned, I was a member of the 31's open/open 3.5" lift crowd last year and had an absolute blast. This year i'll be at 32's, locked/lsd, 4.5"...so i'm very anxious to see how it does :)

269498_927696382217_6920589_n.jpg

The easy run group from last year:

261911_927695269447_7597232_n.jpg

You ready to try Can Opener this year? :D Your Jeep is too pretty!

yes you should come.

I drive 8 hours every year.

this year we will be in an XJ with 1" of lift and 30's.

I will have spare D35 shafts of the c clip variety.

You ready to try Can Opener this year? :D Your Jeep is too pretty!

I'll run it again. My Jeep isn't near as pretty as it was last year. And with a locker and 2 more inches I shouldn't need a tug!

I'll run it again. My Jeep isn't near as pretty as it was last year. And with a locker and 2 more inches I shouldn't need a tug!

No I mean the other part of Can opener! :D

Back