• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to get an idea of what my xj is worth. Possible feeler.

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I might consider selling my jeep due to buying a house and If I go this route I would like to price it fairly and if I don't then at least I have an idea of what it's true value is. I have been working on this jeep for 3 years and have basically replaced everything and the new parts have 0 miles on them.

Here's the details.

89 renix 4.0 automatic with 231

-Rebuilt motor stock .030 over on cylinders entire engine was gone through intake and t body was cleaned and all sensors replaced. New ford 19 lb injectors. New water pump and stat. All vacuum harnesses brand new. New radiator, hoses, power wires new from 5-90 kellyswips. Basically everything under the hood has been replaced or upgraded.
-Rebuilt aw4 with earls fittings and b&m cooler installed check grimjeepers thread. I did mine the exact same way expect for cooler location.
-Rebuilt 231 with AA sye installed
-Rough country 4.5 inch lift new
-HP 30 with brand new 4.10 gears and cro shafts from rawk Haus. Brand new unit bearings, brakes, calipers.
-8.8 4.10 gears limited slip and all new brakes and calipers ruff stuff kit
- has a power master cylinder and booster swap from a newer 99 to 03 grand Cherokee
- new cat and thrush muffler and 02 sensor
- front xj driveshafts front and rear all new u joints and center pivots completely replaced.
- zj v8 steering with tie rod flip kit
- iron rock double shear heavy-duty tracbar and mount
- interior is very clean for it's age.
- lebaron hood vents
-The window motors need to be cleaned or replaced as they stick but work. I haven't gotten into that yet.
- needs a paint job if you want. Other than that there's nothing that need to be fixed.
- I haven't done any build stuff yet I was working on mechanical things first before I upgraded. This jeep is damn near brand new again. It's white but I has some sanded paint from previous owner and some overspray on it from when I painted the bottom with undercoat and paint. I was going to put a paint job when I was done with it.

That pretty much sums it up as far as the xj goes. I have dumped a bunch of money into it and I know I won't get back what I put in it but a fair asking price is what I'm curious about. I don't want to sell it but I've lost time and the wife wants a house so I'll sacrifice. I'll look for another one later on when the time is right. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Last edited:
I think you should keep it. The $3k? you'll get for it isn't gonna help that much towards a down payment and then you'll be jeepless and stuck in your house.

lame.....it is only 3K. Not worth selling

i wouldn't sell it....
as everyone else has said, you're not likely to get more than about 3 for it, and that really won't make that much of a dent toward a house.
plus, you wouldn't be able to build another one for that money.
just keep it. :)

I think I'm gonna hang on to it. I've dumped almost 8000 into it plus time blood and sweat. We just got a yj for my wife so I don't mind stomping on that with the xj.

So let me get this right....you're trying to save money for a house, so you bought another jeep? :huh:

Well long story short the car we bought her 2 years ago is a lemon and it's unreliable. I can't mess with my credit right now to get her out of that loan and trade it in because of the approval for the home loan. So I had to get her something cash money that won't mess with any of the housing numbers. Sucks but it is what it is.

Yeah, have fun. With perfect credit and a healthy down it took me almost two years from the time I started looking to the time I closed.

Yeah, have fun. With perfect credit and a healthy down it took me almost two years from the time I started looking to the time I closed.

I think it took us about a 8 or 9 months. Was very pro-active and didn't take any BS from anyone. And trust me, in the housing business, the BS is stacked thick and juicy. It made me :gonnablow

I've heard some horror stories. At this point the wife and I are just glad that we we able to get the approval for the loan. Were still young and we have both made bad finance decisions. Weve been working on credit and saving in the bank for some time now. We dont have anyone that taught us about these things so we have had to go through. " learning experiences"

DO NOT get a ARM loan(adjustable rate mortgage ). Get a fixed loan (LOCKED) at todays rate(or the rate at time of loan).

Good luck, i hated the BS of trying to find a good house to buy when we was looking.

thanks for the heads up. were looking at fixed 4%. houses are nice where i live but im being picky. im not pulling the trigger until i find what i want. im in no hurry. rent is cheap. i just want something to call our own.

There's nothing wrong with an ARM as long as you keep your credit up to snuff and just refi every couple of years..

ARMs can be a good deal. The worst deal, in my opinion is anything with balloon payments, or ARMS with huge potential increases.

Back a thousand years ago, when we bought our house (1986), the fixed rate was 12 1/2% I selected an ARM at 8 3/8%, with a cap of 13 3/8%. Over the last 28 years, the highest my rate went was 10 3/4%. It has been at 2 7/8% for the last several years, which is the lowest it can go. So, for us, the ARM has worked out quite well. Every time I looked at refinancing, it would have cost us more than just staying as is.

Things are a bit different today, since the interest rates are o much lower, and the ARMs usually have a minimum percentage over the index (mine is 2 3/4%). If I could get a fixed with a percentage of the ARM, I'd go with fixed, since it's hard for interest rates to drop much lower than they are today.

David Bricker / SYR - ECP

My wife and I bought our current house a couple years ago. During that time any house that came on the market was getting 15-20 offers. We looked for maybe a week and got smart.

I typed up a letter that said (totally paraphrased) Hi we are a family looking for a house, we are approved for our loan and have our down payment money ready to go, we just need a house to buy. Interested in selling yours?

I had a title company print me out the names and addresses everyone in the area I wanted to live who owned a house that met my needs. From the time I sent my first letter to the time I opened escrow to buy our house was less than two weeks.

Everyone is brain washed into thinking the only way to buy a house is to have an agent drive you around and write offers. That generally ends you up in a property that would be a second or third tier choice out of pressure. Trust me, anyone can buy a house if you are willing to get off your ass and be creative. I have another friend who literally knocked on the doors of houses on a street he liked and bought his house.

That's pretty much where I am at. I'm driving to all the available houses I find and look them up myself. The way I see it is if I find the house I cut out the agent, if the agent finds the lead then I will give her the commission. I'm all about fair but I'm learning that I'm the only one that knows what I want and it's going to be up to me to pick the right house.

Back