• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there build thread

Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there buil...

u5u5yhag.jpg

ave7ujeh.jpg

Screw you and your two car garage. I could run an ultra 4 team out of a two car garage. Im in the middle of complete build #2 in my phone booth

Stop being an askhole.
a9ube8aj.jpg

I have built Jeeps (lost count now...) in apartment parking lots, sloped gravel driveways, 2, 3, and 4 car garages and shops with lifts and air tools. It's all in how determined you are to get it done.

Right now my wife's van is sitting outside of my 4 car garage because I have 2 XJs and my company car inside. Your wife will have to understand, or you will have to sell your Jeep. I drug home a beater Jeep today and my wife helped me winch it on and off the trailer. 10 years ago she wouldn't have stepped foot in the garage. It's all a big learning curve.

Edit: for those doing the math (not that kind), the 4th slot in the garage is for the mower, tools and whatnot.

There is ALWAYS someone on craigslist selling a decently built xj for about what your budget is. Lifted, 31s or 33s, bumpers, sliders, sometimes lockers too. It will give you a great starting platform, then you can go from there.

Granted, it won't be perfect. But it gets you out wheeling faster than dealing suggestions and opinion threads.

I bought my 93 already lifted...and I'm so glad I went that route.

How about this. 235's or even 30's, sliders, 2"lift, a locker and call it a day. You wheel what twice a year if you're lucky? That's all you'd ever need.

My house has a garage, but my XJ doesn't stay there and it isn't exactly great for working on anything in it now (two cars barely fit in there now), it stays at my in laws and they didn't sound too thrilled I was going to change the oil there (A. can check my front brake pads since I had someone do the back drums in the last few years when I change the oil. B. They had my park it out in the gravel for a few weeks once after I got it muddy at the track). I honestly had forgotten one friend and gotten with him about him helping me put a lift on and he is local and he has put one on before.

Hoping to get with my other friend to get my bumpers painted in the next few weeks (the coating requires some time to cure also) and have them on by the end of next month before I go on vacation.
your making excuses... if you wanted to do it youd clean your garage. try it. just trying it. if you make the space, youll feel obligated to use it. if not... youve got a clean garage and a happy husband.

seriously though... ive had to bum garage space for many years. i never had one until last year. 12x20. ****ing tiny. it was annoying as ****. to pull a passenger side axle shaft, you had to park just right so that you could pull the axle shaft out of the side door. 3 broke college kids made it work though. we had enough rigs in there over the year that our landlord confronted us about flipping cars or running a chop shop (or what ever... he was a ****ing idiot). i just promised him the slab would never rust.

know what the difference is? motivation. we all started with zero knowledge and found each other through the hobby. and there are many like that in the hobby... we know that not everyone is knowledgeable. we sit back, help them when needed, answer their questions, stop them before making big mistakes, and make life long friends. hell, i drank beer while coaching my cousin through a locker install. he had never been into a diff... but he wanted to. and thats the difference between a lot of us and you, motivation. as Kman would say... "you haz none."

Tons of good points in here. I have my 8,000 lb. Truck town apart in my car and a half garage. Putting axles and suspension in it that has only been done by a half dozen people ever!!! I'm no genius when it ces to wrenching. Just ask brennen. But I just dig in. Borrow the tools I don't have and get to it. I am driving my pos trail jeep to work while I'm doing it. I never touched a car with a tool until I was 17. And have done numerous lifts. Hell my first lift took me three 14 hour days to do, it was a basic 3" Rc lift. But I ****ing did it!!!!

How about this. 235's or even 30's, sliders, 2"lift, a locker and call it a day. You wheel what twice a year if you're lucky? That's all you'd ever need.

Once I lift, my itch to wheel will become a monthly wheeling trip even if it is only 3-4 hours at Badlands. Shoot, I got the itch to go right now with my friends JKU (he said I could since I keep it at my place until he comes home from OTR trucking and I need to drive it once a week to keep fluids moving right).

You live 20 minutes from Redbird. Your XJ in its current state would do just fine on Trail 0. It's not much, but it would get you on dirt.

That's BS by the way, that JK could sit for months and be fine. But if it was at my place I would drive it daily...

I find any reason to drive it, but I am not even driving my car to work the rest of the week (I forgot to put the smiley at the later part about the JKU) as it is going to be great weather to ride my bike to work. I have drove it to work a few times. Still need to find a reasonably priced headlight part once I figure out the part number (or new assembly). Dealer wanted $200 for new headlight assembly (my friend will pay me back for parts I get for it or work I get done for stuff I don't do).

omg. this is so much better than i imagined it would be.

dude! the best advice you got on this thread so far is go by a built jeep. cheaper, easier, and i wish i dd it.

if you must build your own, then go to youtube.
i have not done anything to my jeep yet, without searching to see if someone made a detailed vid of it already. watching it being done makes doing it easier.

before lifting my black jeep in rew's garage i never did that much mechanical work to my own rig. i watched this video about 100 times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yksVkcO1Xo

anything new you buy should have instructions anyways. you dont need to know how to do it, they tell you.
with the amount of reading you are claiming to do, you should know exactly what you need.

imo, with the wheeling that you are going to do, i would not be worried about whos name is on the lift kit.
Rustys
rough country
iron rock offroad
Rubicon express
etc.
who the hell cares
for the 3 in lift you need. find the best price and order it. simple.

your post drive people nuts. you blow the mind of most people here.
but if you read carefully in YOUR OWN THREAD, you have already gotten a ton more advice than i thought anyone was going to give you.

read and get to work. the money you pay someone else to do it, you could buy the tools you will have the rest of your life. not to mention the knowledge you need on the trail.

but this has all been said about 14 times in this thread so whatever.

by the way

my garage

currently in my drive way. steering completely torn apart and i have no idea on what i am doing.

Here's the problem.

Adam comes to NAXJA a few years ago and wants to attend Winterfest, but because he doesn't have proper tow points, he decides to not "attend" but rather show up at the Badlands to wheel during Winterfest.

So he continues to hang out as a user, and after many, many attempts from members to help him with tow points, including a member willing to GIVE him a rear hitch in return for becoming a paid member, he declines.

He then shows up to Winterfest with a hitch not installed on his jeep expecting others to help him put it on. While the rest of us come prepared, he finds a member to do the whole job without knowing how to remove his rear bumper.

He used the excuse of not having the money for membership or any modifications, but now he's got thousands to spend. He refused to wheel anywhere that might cause body damage, something all of us except as a part of the hobby.

He becomes a paid member, ask for advice from other members on everything from fixing his moms van to what lift kits to use. He not only doesn't listen then, he's not going to listen now. He continuously finds reasons to not take the advice of guys that have been in the in the sport for over a decade.

Nothing has changed. The members of this club will continue to give their hard earned knowledge to anyone who ask, and Adam will continue to be 'that guy'.

There will be nothing positive come of this thread, or of Adam being a member of this club. He says he wants to learn, but doesn't have the ability to learn. He thinks that if he pays for a couple memberships to others in the club it will resolve the fact that he doesn't bring anything to the table. Clearly, we will welcome anyone to this group of like minded people, but there comes a time that we stop beating a dead horse. Adam will never take the advice he is given, he will never realize that there is no one answer to his questions, and he will never realize he won't ever build a jeep. He can't even paint his own bumpers.

There is no easy button in the real world.

Last edited:
Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there buil...

Adam give me 2k and the jeep for a week it will leave w a three link front relocation brackets in the rear and on new springs and shocks all the way around. Oh yea it will be a 3" kit. Then you can put whatever tires and wheels you want on it.

Btw you can stay and help but cost goes up to 3k and if you think I am joking I am not and even told a good friend of mine on here the same thing about price going up if he helps.

Back