• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terrehautian's where I have been, where I want to go, how do I get there build thread

terrehautian

NAXJA Forum User
Starting out what my XJ looked like when I first got it. I originally got it just so I could haul my kayak and have a back up vehicle. I really never had any intentions of wheeling it.

When I first got it.

The car I had at the time (piece of crap went through three lower intake manifold gaskets in four years) with it.

Wheeled it.

Other then recovery points, the only thing I have really done to it at this point is clear marker lamps.

Going to start working on the Ares rear bumper and Logan's Metal Products front bumper soon (paint, then paint cure, then install).

So this is where I want opinions (with links to specific products that I will consider for the following stuff).

Lift
While I have looked at Iron Rock Off road (both a short arm and a long arm kit), I don't need to go with them. I would prefer to go with a site sponsor also.

Tires
31's or 33's. Someone suggested a Hankook tire the month after winterfest and I did see a Goodyear Duratrac at Tire Barn today. Both are about the same price per tire in 33's (about 220 a tire). Ideally I want something average on mud, snow, trails, etc at the least.

ETC stuff for lift kit that I might not know about or forget
SYE, gearing, new drive shafts, how to mount my spare tire with the ARES bumper since it won't fit inside in the stock area anymore, etc.

This thread will start out slow because I will be taking about four months to save up for everything if I budget about $3500. I was a 1/3 of the way there, but my DD needed tires.

I have very limited knowledge on good/bad stuff in this area (what to avoid). I was only looking at IRO because I knew if the stuff worked for Fore Wheeler, it should be good for my rig (also because they are a site sponsor). I also realize I asked this in the important thread, but wanted a central spot to look through posts when I am ready to start buying.

Down the road (as in a year or so) I plan on skid plates, sliders and lockers.

Last edited:
It really all depends on what you want out of your Jeep in the long run. Be best to do it once and not have to worry about it again.

I would look into a lift around 4" and either run 31's with full fenders or 33's with cut fenders. We are running a 4.5" rough country shirt arm lift with 33's and it does everything we need and is a good starting kit.

Honestly, this XJ is only going to be a once a week driver and anything over 5" of snow driver other then wheeling. I want comfort, but I don't have to settle for mild. Ideally, I would probably go with 33's because that is the biggest I would want to go for a very long time. While I don't want to cut the fenders, I am not against it. Three of my current stock flares are still attached and I can easily reattach the fourth. Someone mentioned that they have ran 31-35's on 4" long arm kit, I don't know if that was with stock fenders and flares or not though.

This was one kit I was eyeing, but I don't need to go with it if something better is out there.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...e=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X5LK&Category_Code=PFX

With SYE and everything else in there, it was at 2k. With tires, I would be close to my budget, but my budget is whatever I save up when I start, so $3500 is a number I want to hit and not go too much over.

At 5.5, you need to start thinking about steering and.drop brackets, also a little tall for 33s

Fwiw, a 33" bfg will fit in the stock location if you pull the little.tire stand. On 96< anyway.

You should go with a 4" long arm set up with shackle relocation brackets on 33's. It will probably be the best setup for what you want to do. The long arms and shackle relocation will give you the ride quality, and the 4"s will give you the room to run the 33's without trimming. 33/10.50/15 on a wheel with the proper backspace will sit inside the fenders when you're flexed out.

4" Backspace.

Well that is a 3 link(correction: radius arm) but yes that would work. its been a while since i have seen anyone suggest rough country. (a couple years ago guys were swinging from their sack like it was handing out free bacon.) but here is their kit http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-perf686.html i have seen that go on a lot of rigs. here is rustys also http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...ts/rustys-xj-cheroke-4-5-long-travel-kit.html

i would suggest the HD offroad 3 link if you were interested in a 3 link but its basically a builder kit (meaning you cant just bolt it in) so it might be out of your ability's.

then again you could be like me and not do it right the first time... i have been on the same cheap 3" AAL rustys kit since 08.

With all that said. you can always upgrade to long arms later...

Lolz at giving th advice (again), like he is going to listen.:rolleyes:

It took me almost two nights to put my logans front bumper on, granted I had to cut off the PO's "custom" angle iron welded on bumper brackets and I built my own gear box spacer.

If you can't install a rear hitch how do you expect to do the bumper, I have a feeling you'll be over your head after the first gear box bolt breaks.

Are you intending on doing the install your self or paying someone to do it?

everything gets expensive after 31's.

You won't like stock gears on 33's, so then you're into it for gears, might as well do lockers while you'r ein there, blah blah blah.

Stick with 31's (or rather the metric equivalent on 16's) and be happy with a jeep that lives with stock parts on the cheap. There's a reason that everyone sold their junk and went smaller.

It took me almost two nights to put my logans front bumper on, granted I had to cut off the PO's "custom" angle iron welded on bumper brackets and I built my own gear box spacer.

If you can't install a rear hitch how do you expect to do the bumper, I have a feeling you'll be over your head after the first gear box bolt breaks.

Are you intending on doing the install your self or paying someone to do it?

Actually the friend that I am helping paint them (he offered free paint without asking, not turning that down) has a metal shop and we will put it on.

everything gets expensive after 31's.

You won't like stock gears on 33's, so then you're into it for gears, might as well do lockers while you'r ein there, blah blah blah.

Stick with 31's (or rather the metric equivalent on 16's) and be happy with a jeep that lives with stock parts on the cheap. There's a reason that everyone sold their junk and went smaller.

I know the 31's hankook tires were 70 cheaper a tire when I checked on them a few months ago.

Snow is the main purpose of my XJ in winter, my car sucks once we get more then 5". of it on the ground. The main roads always get cleared, but if I go to my moms place, it takes them at least five days in a big snow to get it clear (and she doesn't live in the country and has plenty of people living on her street).

I've been nothing but impressed with the hankook atms.

they're damned near magical in the snow.

i dont have personal experience, but thats good to hear your happy with them!

do you have the center tread siped? i had my cars done and it was a marked improvement. ill never own another set of tires that arent done (except for the MTRs that see a lot of rocks)

do you have the center tread siped? i had my cars done and it was a marked improvement. ill never own another set of tires that arent done (except for the MTRs that see a lot of rocks)

ATM's are magical.

these things come from the factory with every tread block siped. Jennie's got about 15K on them and the siping hasn't gone away, so it's pretty well the full tread depth.
Hankook-Dynapro-ATM-RF10-All-Season-Tire.jpg

ATM RF10 is the tire you seek for do dumb things in the winter tires.
They are quiet at 80MPH, have a load rating for the SL rated 245 size that's higher than the 15" load range c 30's on the truck and generally kick ass all the way round.
I would proclaim these the best tires I've ever owned, on anything.

Last edited:
Back