• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished my snorkel today...pics

Akers87

NAXJA Forum User
hey so iv been wanting a snorkel for a while but my pockets arent deep enough to go with a safari, figured it would be more fun to make my own anyways. havent gotten a chance to try it yet, but ill let you know how it does when i get do.

Parts:

8'x2" ABS piping
(2) 2"x1.5" cupplings
2'x1.5" Spa tubing
(1) 90 degree 2" ABS
(1) 45 degree 2" street ABS
(1) 2" threaded cuppling
(1) 2" storm rain cap thing

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00025-1.jpg

DSC00023-1.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028-1.jpg

DSC00029-1.jpg

wheres your fender?

lol jp I like how ya used mostly black pvc!

Good call on using black. I definitely have to say it's one of the better looking homemade snorkels I've seen...now...to see how it performs :D. Nice job!

At least it doesn't look like ass...

Painting the lower part to match the fender/hood would make it look a bit better I think.

How did you fasten it to the pillar? I see some straps there but what exactly did you use?

yah, i recenty painted it flat black which makes it look really awsome, but a used some heavy duty zip ties, that go in through two hole i drilled in the A piller, it was alredy pretty secure even before the ties, ive been driving it around and it feels very secure.

yea ugly snorkel too.. but function before looks right? good job.

hey thanks assholes, since i painted the white part black, it looks way better, and i just used silicone then when that dried, put ABS glue around all of them, tested it in the hottub and it worked very well, ill get to hopefully try it out this weekend at Bronco canyon in reno, any of you been there?

Don't worry about them...I've seen alot of homemade snorkels over the years and yours is very simple and clean. I'm not really sure how it looks a whole lot different from a real one, other than the joints. Each to his own. I'd sport it, of course I've hydrolocked a motor before while driving in unknown territory trying to help out a friend. A small helpless looking little water hole turned out to be the devil. :flamemad:

Snorkel looks great but aren't you worried about your tire rubbing on it when you flex? It is sitting right between the tire and your heavily chopped fender! Or is it far enough forward that it won't rub when flexed?

Hey to get to go in deep water and use it, On the cherokees do you have to do anything special to keep the water out of the motor and diffs or any of that stuff? Also do you do something special to keep the car from filling up?

yah, ive trimmed my fenders enough that i dont really even come close to rubbing on it. and my interior is completely stripped and rhino lined, with drainage holes in it, it works out nicely cause when i wash my car i can just hose down the inside too. what i need to do next is silicone the distributer cap, and all of the miscilanious wires and switch to an optima battery.

That looks like ass and you're going to bust the entire thing to shards the first time you enter the woods.

Other than that, nice job.;)

fubar XJ said:
That looks like ass and you're going to bust the entire thing to shards the first time you enter the woods.

Other than that, nice job.;)
Did you break one that was similar? Just curious...sounds like you're speaking from experience.

FYI...that black ABS he used has an impact strength of about 6 times standard PVC soooooo...:rolleyes: Oh, and ABS tends to stretch and give rather than break like standard PVC.

Last edited:
Back