• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW SNORKEL (homemade) links to pics...

Im so sick of you guys bashing everyones ideas... how about you get off your lazy asses and try to build something better .....i bet half of you couldnt....not everyone can go on the internet and blow couple hundred bucks on an ARB snorkel ....i kinda like the guys idea....yeah it may need some work but like he said its still in the works....how about some of you homos grow up and give some constructive criticism and if you cant keep your fat mouths shut...remember a couple of years ago you too were a 16 year old kid that was broke...come on guys

timk578 said:
Im so sick of you guys bashing everyones ideas... how about you get off your lazy asses and try to build something better .....i bet half of you couldnt....not everyone can go on the internet and blow couple hundred bucks on an ARB snorkel ....i kinda like the guys idea....yeah it may need some work but like he said its still in the works....how about some of you homos grow up and give some constructive criticism and if you cant keep your fat mouths shut...remember a couple of years ago you too were a 16 year old kid that was broke...come on guys
ummm how about you chill out? The design has flaws and they were pointed out. Build something? Yeah... most of the folks that commented in this thread have BUILT something or even many somethings.

Also.. if you can't stand the heat don't go near the fire. I have what's considered one of the ugliest jeeps on the block :) Heck I even have a plaque to prove it. And you know what... I don't give a shit when folks give me shit about it. Most of the criticism is positive and folks like to have fun with it. So... if you are in the jeep club suck it up. IMHO almost all of the comments here were MILD comparing to what could be delivered given the design.

Oh yeah.. it's not hard to put an air filter inside the engine bay
DSCF3482.JPG

Keeping it where he has it will
a. make it clog up fast
and
b. tear the little filter element thing from speed and particles making the filter not work anymore.

Last edited:
Oh boy. I guess for me it's just that there are so many other things to do to the rig before THAT. I dont like all the negative input either but come on. The problem with a mod like this is that if someone has to go so cheap on something like a snorkel then they probably didn't take the time to do the other essential things that should go along with it. If you need a snorkel than you plan on going through deep water, no you mean to go through deep water and I guarantee that once the snorkel is "operational" you WILL head for deep water. Nothing has been considered about the alternator or the vent tubes for the diffs and axles. It's just inviting trouble. I would love a snorkel but the first thing I would do is extend the vents into the cab or high in the engine compartment. If you have to scrimp for the actual snorkel than odds are you didn't go all out for these important waterproofing safeguards either.

WheelsUp said:
I'd like to see a picture of the intake/truck you're talking about.

I see then all the time on fedex and airborne delivery vans. I've seen them all over NYC and even out here in the boondocks of the poconos. I've seen them on the coffee delivery trucks to the buildings. All diesels from what I noticed. Thought about it years ago but I'm not up to cutting holes my XJ yet, even if it is a 98... I peel my fender flares off every so often as well as folding my mirrors flat as it is, don't need something even bigger sticking out... :D :D :D :D

timk578 said:
damn who put sand in your vag flakes this morning? people are just trying to help. the only thing wrong with his setup is serious misplacement of the filter. relax bro, its like someone ran thier mouth about your lady or something lol. ive seen plenty of homemade snorkels, Remi's being one of them, and i like em. but like i said earlier there is a reason nobody puts the filter on the end, outside the engine bay.

if you want to see flaming go over to www.pirate4x4.com and post this there. people here are going very easy on him.

:scottm:

timk578 said:

I understand your frustration with the criticism as I have been at the recieving end many times BUT name callin is just childish!! Get over it, I have!! Oh, have a happy new year!!NAXJA

I believe in function over fashion, but you need to keeep the filter under the hood & make it a sealed type. nice prototype, just need alittle work, is all.

people dont get on this website to read about others ragging on their ideas they get on for further ideas...the snorkel thing was one of the many ....all im saying is if you dont have any GOOD ideas about other peoples ideas just dont say anything. There is some very good info on this forum its saved me a couple times....but there is also just as much crap.

OUCH! I feel like I have a black eye right now. In some kind of strange binary way.
I appreciate all of the constructive criticism. Like I said, it is a work in progress.
I dont plan on fording any rivers, just want to make the possibility of sucking H2O into the engine a little less. My buds and I were jammin through some trails around here and I hit a hole full of water and got scared. It chugged and sputtered. I lifted the hood and my K&N was soaked. Everything is OK now, but I dont want that to happen again.

I think it is ugly too. It wont be hard to intergrate the stock air box, and I think that is what I am going to do.

I am not broke, and I am not 16. I am 27 and have a good job. I just dont see paying $300+ for something I can make for $60 that will do the same thing.

I am much more for function over form. It may be ugly, but it works.

Personally, I think the wye connector is nessassary for water collection in the event of asperation. Once I relocate the filter, riping that off wont be a big deal. If it catches on something it should just pull the connector off with out damaging anything.

It sounds so good though.

You need to know the differance. The mall crawlers, every thing you can buy on daddy's credit card,for an XJ OR the guy's that actually wheel their stuff. I try to listen to the guy's that actually wheel their stuff. Most of the the time, they been there, done that.

Like I said good idea, Need's a little more tweaking is all.

rcmf5525 said:
I dont plan on fording any rivers, just want to make the possibility of sucking H2O into the engine a little less. My buds and I were jammin through some trails around here and I hit a hole full of water and got scared. It chugged and sputtered. I lifted the hood and my K&N was soaked. Everything is OK now, but I dont want that to happen again.
That's why I built mine too. Came in handy already twice :D
I think it is ugly too. It wont be hard to intergrate the stock air box, and I think that is what I am going to do.
Look for Range Rovers and Land Rovers in the junkyard. Their canister air filters are real nice and easy to integrate.

RichP said:
I see then all the time on fedex and airborne delivery vans. I've seen them all over NYC and even out here in the boondocks of the poconos. I've seen them on the coffee delivery trucks to the buildings. All diesels from what I noticed. Thought about it years ago but I'm not up to cutting holes my XJ yet, even if it is a 98... I peel my fender flares off every so often as well as folding my mirrors flat as it is, don't need something even bigger sticking out... :D :D :D :D

I don't think I've seen the trucks you're talking about. I'm not worried about the hole, a tree got ahold of my drivers fender last year and it's pretty rough now. I've about got the under hood portion of my snokel figured out, just looking for a low profile scoop or what have you to feed it.

I think you have a good concept. I would however, add another elbow to the top and make the filter face forward and then build something to go over the filter, like the arb style.

WheelsUp said:
I don't think I've seen the trucks you're talking about. I'm not worried about the hole, a tree got ahold of my drivers fender last year and it's pretty rough now. I've about got the under hood portion of my snokel figured out, just looking for a low profile scoop or what have you to feed it.

You may not notice them, generally they are small cab trucks with a seperate box on the back so there is a gap between the cab and the cargo container. The snorkel comes up between them, I was looking for pics on yahoo but none came up for what I was looking for. I may be going into manhattan this week to move servers from there to some office space I'm in the process of renting so will try to take some pics.

I had a flash back to when I was 8 years old.

I was at the bottom of the pool with my mouth over the end of the garden hose.

My sister was at the other end of the hose blowing air into it with the air compressor.

I decided not to stay down too long.... LOL! :D

====

We wanted to play deep-sea diver.
We knew what we wanted to do, but were clueless on how to do it.

That's what this snorkel reminds me of.
He knows what he wants to do, but he's got some learing to do first.

====

I can't slam him too hard... I used to be clueless about Jeeps too. :D

WTF??? Are you drunk? This has nothing to do with knowing anything about jeeps and I would doubt you know anything more about them than I do. What a worthless post...

I have no intentions of going through and really deep water. I wish people who post in these threads would read the whole thing....

RichP said:
You may not notice them, generally they are small cab trucks with a seperate box on the back so there is a gap between the cab and the cargo container. The snorkel comes up between them, I was looking for pics on yahoo but none came up for what I was looking for. I may be going into manhattan this week to move servers from there to some office space I'm in the process of renting so will try to take some pics.

I'm assuming that you are referring to something like this, found on an Isuzu NPR.

2154803807_a756984046_o.jpg

I know that you were just referring to the snorkle cap. Just in case anyone is getting ideas, ther is one thing to remember. Although the filter is 'behind the truck', it's actaully very close to the intake manifold. The entire cab tilts forward to access the engine.

Back