• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BrownsCamp/TSF - Aug 17,18,19

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
Posting this early so people can plan ahead.

What: wheelin, camping, & more wheelin.
When: August 17-19th
Where: Browns Camp TSF (probably camp at Browns camp)
Who: anyone with a capable rig and skills to match. (note: If you envite em' they're your responsibility!
How: I don't care how, just be there! but come prepared please (spare parts, tow points, tools, etc...)
Why: cause i didn't get enough at NWFest. :lickout:

Hope to see everyone there :D

Last edited:
I've got nothing on the calendar that weekend.... I'll see if I can make this. Isn't horse camp more for the horse crowd? I've heard they get pissy about the Jeepers camping there. What about Browns Camp?

John

there are hardly ever horses there (but thats usually in the winter months). the rule is: if they show, you have to leave. so yeah maybe that is a better plan. i'll edit that now. good call John.

I'll be in for that, I'll actually be in town! I have two suggestions Rod.

1. Stop scheduling things 2 days before my paydays :p

2. Let's camp at Lyda Camp. Less Motorcycles than Browns, no fees, no horses, and a really cool camp area. Also, its easy to get to. If we get someone out there early on Friday we can definitely get plenty of space too. Lyda is right off of the south fork road that pops out by the prison, and its not too hard to get to some trails.

WheelinJR said:
2. Let's camp at Lyda Camp. Less Motorcycles than Browns, no horses, and a really cool camp area. Also, its easy to get to. If we get someone out there early on Friday we can definitely get plenty of space too.

works for me. we can work out the details as we get closer. i might even take friday off, so i can be up there pretty early. glad to here you can make it.

I'm in, my rig doesn't catch fire @ random anymore.

I was actually referring to my flomaster easybake muffler. But I should have the rest of my cooling issue resolved with the addition of an electric fan.

mojojojo said:
leeks enough coolant to prevent that huh :D

j/k man, would love to have ya come down.

WheelinJR said:
My fan shroud doesn't do jack for keeping my Jeep cool, it still warms up going over passes and sitting at idle.

The fan shroud plays a HUGE role in the cooling of an XJ. I'd bet if you didn't have it, your rig would get much warmer. In Waxjskier's case, he has neither a fan shroud OR an electric fan, so at slow/trail speeds it is pulling exactly ZERO air through the radiator ;)

does anyone have an empty seat they wouldn't mind giving up to a newcomer to the oregon area? i'm not so new to wheeling and will gladly do all the cable pulling etc!!!!! my locked zj on 31's will hopefully be gone by then (anyone want a lifted, locked d44 equiped zj?) and i know the pos xj i just bought wont be ready for wheeling by then, but either one should be fine for driving there.

Mike

Avanteone said:
The fan shroud plays a HUGE role in the cooling of an XJ. I'd bet if you didn't have it, your rig would get much warmer. In Waxjskier's case, he has neither a fan shroud OR an electric fan, so at slow/trail speeds it is pulling exactly ZERO air through the radiator ;)

my heep would get hot all the time too without the shroud, but i put in a new shroud in and the heep barely ever went over 210. no more boiling over after long, steep hills.

WheelinJR said:
well technically 210 is overheating, considering operating temp is 195, but we all know how that goes.

We can take this to OEM tech. if you'd like, but 210 is correct running temperature for an XJ and MOST late model EFI vehicles.

J

Avanteone said:
We can take this to OEM tech. if you'd like, but 210 is correct running temperature for an XJ and MOST late model EFI vehicles.

J

Odd, I'm used to Hondas that run at 180* normal temp.

I had read and read crap all over that the 195* thermostat temp was the factory operating temp.

Regardless, mine has the same manners with the shroud now (i broke mine and went without for about 2 months before I bought a new one) as it did before. When I roll up to stoplights, it creeps up. I have my fan on bypass switch, but it barely keeps it down for long. If I idle in a parking lot, it will climb tooo high.

Back to topic here.... I'm sorry for going off...you can all flog me at the next meet/greet :gee:

TheManch said:
does anyone have an empty seat they wouldn't mind giving up to a newcomer to the oregon area? i'm not so new to wheeling and will gladly do all the cable pulling etc!!!!! my locked zj on 31's will hopefully be gone by then (anyone want a lifted, locked d44 equiped zj?) and i know the pos xj i just bought wont be ready for wheeling by then, but either one should be fine for driving there.

Mike

I am sure between most of us we'll have some empty seats to roll with. Just drive up there and on the trails jump into whoever's rig is open. I could use a good camera man

You are partially correct, it is a 195* thermostat, but that doesn't mean that the entire engine/cooling system stays at 195*, that's just when it lets the coolant into the radiator, etc. We can discuss it more in depth after a few drinks at TSF ;) hahaha

...back on topic :D

WheelinJR said:
Odd, I'm used to Hondas that run at 180* normal temp.

I had read and read crap all over that the 195* thermostat temp was the factory operating temp.

Regardless, mine has the same manners with the shroud now (i broke mine and went without for about 2 months before I bought a new one) as it did before. When I roll up to stoplights, it creeps up. I have my fan on bypass switch, but it barely keeps it down for long. If I idle in a parking lot, it will climb tooo high.

Back to topic here.... I'm sorry for going off...you can all flog me at the next meet/greet :gee:

Back