• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft BB's or other alternate tire balancing methods

OK, my turn to wade in, I just put new 35x12.50x15 Swampers on and loaded them up with 8-1/4 oz of 20gram air soft pelets. So far so good.

has anyone used a can of fix-a-flat in the tire with the bb's?? im afraid the bb's are going to clump together if i ever put a can in the tire.

tonyman246 said:
has anyone used a can of fix-a-flat in the tire with the bb's?? im afraid the bb's are going to clump together if i ever put a can in the tire.

NEVER NEVER NEVER...........maybe not made my point........NEVER use fix a flat.........for any reason...........use plug kit etc. DID I mention never use fix a flat LOL

ok then what do you do if your having a leak around a rim or somthing

then more than that, what do you do when you you get a flat. i dont know about you, but i cant take my tire off my rim to fix it. i would have to take it to a shop. they will be really pissed if they had 90000000000000000000 beads on their floor when they pop your tire off your rim lol

tonyman246 said:

then more than that, what do you do when you you get a flat. i dont know about you, but i cant take my tire off my rim to fix it. i would have to take it to a shop. they will be really pissed if they had 90000000000000000000 beads on their floor when they pop your tire off your rim lol

If you leaking around the rim, fix a flat prolly won't fix it either. Either get the crap out from between the wheel and tire or straiten out your wheel.

With a plug you don't need to break the tire down.

As for the shop, tell them it's full of BB's. If they go all over the place...tuff. It ain't the end of the world.

tonyman246 said:

Like I said tire plugs.........If you cant fix your own tires on the trail you should nto be on the trail as far as Im concerned.........buy a good tire plug kit........
untrimmed_tire_plug.jpg

ok i can fix it on the trail. everyone knows how to use a plug. but your going to want to do it right eventually. right?

ohh by the way, fix-a-flat has helped me out countless times on many different tires.

tonyman246 said:
ok i can fix it on the trail. everyone knows how to use a plug. but your going to want to do it right eventually. right?

ohh by the way, fix-a-flat has helped me out countless times on many different tires.

most shops will now charge 10 to 20 extra now for cleaning the junk out of your tire /wheel.....also it gums up the valve stems and causes slow leaks.....using the correct plug to patch the tire....will do the dame thing as the tire shop will do in many cases.........if it is a large hole the will remove the tire from the rim and vulcanize on the inside, most times they will only use a plug and snip of the excess

tonyman246 said:

What are you saying? Fix a flat is the right way? I trust a plug over fix a flat anyday.

If you can't stand not to use the fix a flat, then stay away from the BB's or any other internal tire balancing media! They are not compatable!

xjnation said:
NEVER NEVER NEVER...........maybe not made my point........NEVER use fix a flat.........for any reason...........use plug kit etc. DID I mention never use fix a flat LOL

2X - tire guys hate ya for it and of course the beads will clump togeater

lloyd said:
runnhing 265/75r/16s with 6oz of white .2gm Crosman airsoft for 2 weeks .. LOVE THEM!!

Sweet! I also have 265/75R16s and have just purchased a jar of .2gm Crosman bbs, but I haven't put them in yet. I will have enough for 7oz per tire. Your comments have lifted my spirits and I am optomistic that the bbs will work now.

How about water? Somebody mentioned it and it seems to have a lot going for it. Free, could be installed thought the valve stem, and won’t disintegrate or clog anything. Anyone tried it?
Also it has been mentioned that dynamic balancing can not fix a lateral imbalance and this makes perfect scene. How about getting your rims balanced (I assume much of the lateral component would come from them) with weights and then putting stuff in to take care of the tread ware changing and tire slipping.

Bronco said:
How about water? Somebody mentioned it and it seems to have a lot going for it. Free, could be installed thought the valve stem, and won’t disintegrate or clog anything. Anyone tried it?
Also it has been mentioned that dynamic balancing can not fix a lateral imbalance and this makes perfect scene. How about getting your rims balanced (I assume much of the lateral component would come from them) with weights and then putting stuff in to take care of the tread ware changing and tire slipping.

If it freezes, the water won't balance too well ;)

Maybe use windshield washer fluid, I've seen it rated down to -35F

Bronco said:

Water or any liquid for that matter will not work to balance the a tire. It has to be a solid in order to work, small dense beads would work the best.

BrettM said:

As increasing centrifigal force forces the liquid against the carcass of the tire it will spread out (becoming thinner and thinner) as the speed/centrifigal forces increases, moving away from the imbalance.

Does that make sense?

tompatjr said:
As increasing centrifigal force forces the liquid against the carcass of the tire it will spread out (becoming thinner and thinner) as the speed/centrifigal forces increases, moving away from the imbalance.

Does that make sense?

+ it will evaporate over time, soak into the tire, and cause rust in steel rims

tompatjr said:
Are you kidding or not? I'd like to keep this thread somewhat on track.
No he is not kidding! I work sales for a very prominent SoftAir supplier here in the US... We sell the white bb in .20g each whereas our green bb only weight .12g each.

Back