• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airsoft BBs didn't work

Bored400 said:
I'm all over the DIY stuff, but why would'nt a guy just mark his tire where the wheel weight goes, pull it off to trail ride and then pop it back into position when he wanted to get back on the highway? I mean sure, it's one less step a guy has to take, but it seems like a big gamble when you are talking about high dollar tires with a bunch of balls rolling around inside of em. No matter how you slice it, you are gonna get wear on the inside of your tires with those bb's! My dad has been a tire man for his whole life, and when I read this thread to him he laughed like a banshee!

One reason is that as your tires wear, pick up mud, and get chunks taken out from rocks they will change as far as balance goes. I too laughed when I read it but it does make sense.

Bored400 said:
No matter how you slice it, you are gonna get wear on the inside of your tires with those bb's! My dad has been a tire man for his whole life, and when I read this thread to him he laughed like a banshee!

The evidence is overwhelming that progress may have left your father behind.:attom:

I've noticed that as the outer lugs get chewed down, the BB's seem to be less effective. Going to take the beads out before they get hit up for that 50% road hazard warranty. I'm digressing back regular weights.

John90XJ said:
The evidence is overwhelming that progress may have left your father behind.:attom:

X2, truckers have been using dynamic balancing principals for years, its nothing new!

Bored400 said:
I'm all over the DIY stuff, but why would'nt a guy just mark his tire where the wheel weight goes, pull it off to trail ride and then pop it back into position when he wanted to get back on the highway? I mean sure, it's one less step a guy has to take, but it seems like a big gamble when you are talking about high dollar tires with a bunch of balls rolling around inside of em. No matter how you slice it, you are gonna get wear on the inside of your tires with those bb's! My dad has been a tire man for his whole life, and when I read this thread to him he laughed like a banshee!

funny.
Have you ever taken off the weights from your tires without bending those little lips on them or even tried squeezing them into that tight fit? On my tires, the deal is so tight, it's so much of a hassle to do that each and everytime. Then to do this over and over, you're gonna wear out that spot that they fit on and create groves and then the crease on that weight will be all weak and eventually snap off the weight then you'll have to buy new weights... ehh. just put the BBs in and call it an easy day.

IntrepidXJ said:
i have the same container of 10,000 .12g BB's that this guy used. I need 8oz for each of my 32x11.5 tires. i used a kitchen scale to measure them out, and I ended up using the whole container....so about 2500 BB's each tires....and that equalled out to 8oz each for me........so I don;t think he used too many, since his tires look bigger than 32's....maybe he even used too little
On 32" tires, you should be at 5oz. not 8oz.
There's a proper tire BB chart online. But if you like the 8oz then thats what works best for you

One of the proper ways to do have them function correctly is to get a liner for your rim and make sure its in there nice and flat on that inner surface. then get the BB's (ceramic or plastic) and install, the inner rubber lining will help prevent wear to both the rim and the BB's.

for the guys that are saying some people are running to much weight in airsofts, make sure that you don't forget to compensate for some things. i'm sure the chart from innovative tire balancing is for a "good tire" on a "straight wheel".

on my wifes 33x12.5x15 i used 6oz per tire and it rides like glass. BUT on my 33x10.5x15, i used 8.5oz per tire due to the fact that the tires are chewed and every wheel is bend in numerous places. that worked out great for me.

otherwise if it's a relatively "clean wheel and tire", then i'll either stick with the chart or go up to 1oz over. but not more than that.

mattyj said:
X2, truckers have been using dynamic balancing principals for years, its nothing new!

the dynamic balancers that you must be referring to are the type that mount to the hub, correct? So, instead of trying to balance the actual tire you now have to take into account the entire spinning mass of hub, wheel and tire. Maybe they work, but it seems like a helluva lot of trouble to me.

As for my other statements regarding wear on the inside of your tires, I'll back away from the argument as long as someone will concede that the inside of tires are made for holding air, not protecting against wear. I like the idea of running a liner in there though! Sounds like a good solution.

BTW, no need to get your panties in a bunch...just a good old fashioned debate! LOL

Bored400 said:

BTW, my panties are in a bunch...just a good old fashioned debate! LOL

OHHH becareful of your panties bunching...... must feel terrible :twak:

mattyj said:
OHHH becareful of your panties bunching...... must feel terrible :twak:

I wish my avitar's panties were bunched! or Missing!
oh wait.... they usually are.... :roll:

MountainRhino said:
what exactly are we trying to accomplish with using bbs and are they just free flaoting in the tire??

are you just trying to start a bitcch fest??? if you would read this thread, you would know what they are trying to accomplish. or do a search on here for airsoft, and you'll get days worth of reading material as to what they accomplish.

Bored400 said:
Maybe they work, but it seems like a helluva lot of trouble to me.

There is no "maybe" - it does in fact work. Unless of course Goodyear managed to send me 4 perfectly balanced 35" MTR's...

Its only "a helluva lot of trouble" if you have no need to do it. Certaintly this isnt for everyone. I wouldn't bother unless you really wheel your junk to the point of scraping off wheel weights. If you do, then it's a helluva a lot of trouble to have to constantly re-balance your tires.

I have done it for a year now and would do it again on a wheeler.

-jm

Ok, here is an update. I have taken out the airsoft bb's from the tires, weighed them out to 3oz (per tire), and put them back in. Still wobbles. Yes, I'm sure it's balance related. I think I'm going to put about 6 oz in there and see what happens. My rims are also bent some and the tires are old, so I may not be using enough weight. I'm determined to make this work, since it has worked fine for everyone but me up to this point, so it's gotta be something I'd doing wrong. I'll post an update when I add more BB's.

Regards,

SimpleXJ

SimpleXJ said:
My rims are also bent some and the tires are old, so I may not be using enough weight.

SimpleXJ
IMHO, no amount of weight will help with a bent wheel. You need to start with a reasonable platform for this to work. Try getting some new wheels if the ones you have are known problems.

It would be no different than hoping for better traction in mud with bald tires. Letting air out would only make them flat bald tires.

MAKE SURE your bushing are good on your track bar and tie rods.
I did the BB's and my bushing are SHOT so I'm waiting on a new track bar and new tie rods next week, then i'll be able to feel the difference. right now I'm getting death shimmy wobble dance when i hit bumps doing over 40mph.

John90XJ said:
IMHO, no amount of weight will help with a bent wheel. You need to start with a reasonable platform for this to work. Try getting some new wheels if the ones you have are known problems.

It would be no different than hoping for better traction in mud with bald tires. Letting air out would only make them flat bald tires.

i'll argue with that. i bend all 4 of my wheels very badly. 2 of them to the point that we were wondering how it was holding air. i took a sledge hammer to the rim to straighten it out a little and added 2 extra ounces of airsofts to compensate a little. i'm happy with it.

just wanted to chime in and say that i just mounted up a set of 35x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorns on 15x8 Crager D windows and used 8oz of .12g Airsoft Pellets per tire/wheel. This combo works great with no vibes. i have had them up to 75-80mph on the hwy with no problems. hopefully they will be fine going forward, as for now its great!!
AGAIN, as stated before - i do feel it depends on the condition of your wheels and tires when you put these in. ie my tires and wheels are brand new.

Back