• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft BB's or other alternate tire balancing methods

53guy said:
As far as noise goes, how much noise does the Airsoft BB's create at low speeds such as traffic or a parking lot. I'd love to do this, but my only concern is to have my jeep sounding like a little kids bike from the 80's with those bead things on the spokes. Also, has anyone noticed any effects on the inside of the tire or rim?

none to speak of........cant hear it in the 35's Ive done when standing beside em

Awesome! So you just pull the old weights off, break the bead of the rim, throw the BB's in and air it back up? Is 8oz the magic number for 35's? What happens if you put too much in or too little?

53guy said:
Awesome! So you just pull the old weights off, break the bead of the rim, throw the BB's in and air it back up? Is 8oz the magic number for 35's? What happens if you put too much in or too little?

I actually used 9.75 OZ per tire...........worked out that way when I bought enough for 10 tires...........Id be on the generous side...........really cant put too much in within reason, but too little might not be enough to balance them

I used 9oz of airsoft BB's for each 35" MTR. Totally satisified. Rides totally smooth at 70mph. Got them at my local paintball shop.

As for sound, it does make a little bit of noise at low speed, but its not bad.

53guy said:
As far as noise goes, how much noise does the Airsoft BB's create at low speeds such as traffic or a parking lot. I'd love to do this, but my only concern is to have my jeep sounding like a little kids bike from the 80's with those bead things on the spokes. Also, has anyone noticed any effects on the inside of the tire or rim?

If i take the tire off the car and roll it in the driveway, I can hear them if i stay within a foot or so. If an earthworm is crawling near by, it drowns out the tires.

-C

Last edited:
tvisXJ said:
Here's another link to a chart of how many ounces to use for whatever size you're running.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

and their product which is simular to the air-soft pellets.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

Their explanation on how it works
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

I plan on "borrowing" some air-soft pellets from my little brothers. They have a lot of 'em.

I just installed or better yet, used these guys to balance out my 35" truxs MT's on 15X8 street locks, works great the best $80 I've ever spent. I put 10 oz in all 5 tires, hopeing the extra couple of oz would help. Seems to work very very well, and I never have to worry about getting them rebalanced, whihc around here is alomst impossible. Nobody wants to touch them, even on a hunter 9700 machine, which is rated to 40" tires.

ChuckD said:
Now the real test would be to find a buddy with a dynamic balancer, place one of your loaded tires on it and truely see if they work. ;)

been there done that..................balances at between 10.5 and 15 mph on the 5 we tested..........the cool thing is you are working with the laws of nature ....rather than weights which tries to fcounteract the laws of nature

ok by reading thru this (and feeling like a complete dummy and a noob, which when coming to balancing tires i am anyhow)

you guys are putting bb's inside the wheels before u inflate the tires?

wouldnt this cause undue wear and tear on the inside with the bb's floatin and bangin around like that?

that and why use bb's to begin with? i know weights can get ripped off and such, but it sounds a hair extensive.

sorry for the stupid questions.

ladywolf said:
ok by reading thru this (and feeling like a complete dummy and a noob, which when coming to balancing tires i am anyhow)

you guys are putting bb's inside the wheels before u inflate the tires?

wouldnt this cause undue wear and tear on the inside with the bb's floatin and bangin around like that?

that and why use bb's to begin with? i know weights can get ripped off and such, but it sounds a hair extensive.

sorry for the stupid questions.

the only stupid questions a re the ones not asked.........we are not using metal bb's, but plastic ones.......they do no harm to the inside of the rim or tire and the cost to balace 5 35" tires is about 20.00...........the cost to do one tire at a shop..........also it is a better job of balancing....more accurate..........this kind of balancing is not new..............semi trucks have been doing this for man...many years

ah, ok:)

thanx for tellin me:) now i know somethin to pass on to someone else, should they ever ask

xjnation said:
the only stupid questions a re the ones not asked.........we are not using metal bb's, but plastic ones.......they do no harm to the inside of the rim or tire and the cost to balace 5 35" tires is about 20.00...........the cost to do one tire at a shop..........also it is a better job of balancing....more accurate..........this kind of balancing is not new..............semi trucks have been doing this for man...many years

Just thought I'd add: airsoft balls are also dynamic - so there's no need to ever have tires rebalanced once they are installed, they automatically end up where they are needed once the tire spins up above 10 mph or so.

ChuckD said:
Now the real test would be to find a buddy with a dynamic balancer, place one of your loaded tires on it and truely see if they work. ;)

I can do that, but it might take a while. If I ever do it I'll post about it.

i bought the cheap green airsoft pellets at walmart and use 8oz in each of my 34 x10.50 ltbs. they run smooth until about 65-70 which is good enough for me.

Ramsey said:
i bought the cheap green airsoft pellets at walmart and use 8oz in each of my 34 x10.50 ltbs. they run smooth until about 65-70 which is good enough for me.

White ones work better at high speeds.

Ramsey said:
they run smooth until about 65-70 which is good enough for me.

Does that mean he needs more weight? What's the color difference? I've seen white, green, yellow, blue, all sorts. Does color make a difference?

53guy said:
Does that mean he needs more weight? What's the color difference? I've seen white, green, yellow, blue, all sorts. Does color make a difference?

Probably needs more weight.

Color choice is crucial.

Back