• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft BB's or other alternate tire balancing methods

What color is the best then, if its crucial? I'm about to go out and buy some, so I'd rather not be all messed up when I get them.

53guy said:
What color is the best then, if its crucial? I'm about to go out and buy some, so I'd rather not be all messed up when I get them.

I don't think color should make any difference. Weight is what matters most.

All trolling aside (snicker) Im putting new shoes on my Jeep this week. Small ones 235/75R15's and from reading the article on the ceramic beads think im going that route as my rims are alum. im assuming they require the stick on weights and I dont want that. (theyd be gone in no time).

Think I will spend the cash for the ceramic ones as it seems the bead count to weight ratio re: 4oz's per tire recommended will give me more beads to go where needed and do what they do. I dont know what size the colored ones are but im assuming from conversation they are close to bb size, where as the ceramic ones are much smaller this would give me more bb's in more areas to do the job.

Guess im just thinking and wondering out loud here..........of course with the smaller ceramic ones you gotta buy their filtered valve stems @99 cents ea.

klonestar said:
All trolling aside (snicker) Im putting new shoes on my Jeep this week. Small ones 235/75R15's and from reading the article on the ceramic beads think im going that route as my rims are alum. im assuming they require the stick on weights and I dont want that. (theyd be gone in no time).

Think I will spend the cash for the ceramic ones as it seems the bead count to weight ratio re: 4oz's per tire recommended will give me more beads to go where needed and do what they do. I dont know what size the colored ones are but im assuming from conversation they are close to bb size, where as the ceramic ones are much smaller this would give me more bb's in more areas to do the job.

Guess im just thinking and wondering out loud here..........of course with the smaller ceramic ones you gotta buy their filtered valve stems @99 cents ea.

if you wish to spend 10 times the amount to do the same thing go for it!

did price comparison and its twice the price for the ceramic ones and just got back from Wallyworld and they were all out of the white high speed ones! Only had green and glow in the dark! Dont want green w/a black xj although glow in the dark might be interesting but didnt know their speed rating!:jester:

Thanks,
Ken

PS: Wallyworld has 12-18Grams for around 6-8 bucks. 28Grams to an ounce, recommended 4 ounces for a small tire=$$$$

Ceramics priced for 5 tires w/valvestems=$32 shipped? Or am I confusing Grams as a rated size from Wallyworld and does not pertain to weight? I looked for weight on pkg. and it wasnt listed.

Thanks again,
Ken

klonestar said:
did price comparison and its twice the price for the ceramic ones and just got back from Wallyworld and they were all out of the white high speed ones! Only had green and glow in the dark! Dont want green w/a black xj although glow in the dark might be interesting but didnt know their speed rating!:jester:

Thanks,
Ken

PS: Wallyworld has 12-18Grams for around 6-8 bucks. 28Grams to an ounce, recommended 4 ounces for a small tire=$$$$

Ceramics priced for 5 tires w/valvestems=$32 shipped? Or am I confusing Grams as a rated size from Wallyworld and does not pertain to weight? I looked for weight on pkg. and it wasnt listed.

Thanks again,
Ken

I used .25 gram, high end recycled plastics airsoft pellets off ebay........nice desert tan, enough to do 10 35" tires for 22.00 shipped

xjnation said:
I used .25 gram, high end recycled plastics airsoft pellets off ebay........nice desert tan, enough to do 10 35" tires for 22.00 shipped

Good deal! I got a buddy runnin 235's I can split it with so would cost me $11.00! :) (and we'd have enough left over for the next time!)

klonestar said:

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks again,
Ken

the size of the pellets doesn't really matter as you previously mentioned that the ceramic would be better since you would have "more" of them in one location. 6oz is 6oz. if you go to wallmart or a sporting good store and buy the biggest pack you can (at my walmart it was the 10,000round .12g for $15), you can usually do easily between 5-8 tires depending on size. i usually put a few ounces extra just to compensate.
having worked at a shop for a while, i can tell you that the aggressive tread mud terrains usually require more weight than a nice quite street tire of the same size. the chart i looked at said to use 4oz for 33's, so i put in 6.5oz since i'm running very aggressive mud terrains. it rides perfect up to 70mph+.

as to whether or not color matters, i believe that started because some people found that the very clear ones supposedly crack easier than the solid ones. maybe they're manufactured differently, or maybe it's all Bulls***, who knows. all i know is that i had my wife with me when i went to buy them and she insisted that i get the "pretty green see-through" ones if they were going in her tires. LOL

that is quite an interesting thread... I have been struggling with balancing my tires forever and have heard of running a small amount of water, but didn't want to do that, so this gives great ideas.

Next comment/question:

do you need special valve stems to run the airsoft BBs and can you get them in without breaking the bead on the tires as I am lazy and don't feel like doing that. Can you take the little valve out of the stem and stick them in like that?

LilRedRover said:
that is quite an interesting thread... I have been struggling with balancing my tires forever and have heard of running a small amount of water, but didn't want to do that, so this gives great ideas.

Next comment/question:

do you need special valve stems to run the airsoft BBs and can you get them in without breaking the bead on the tires as I am lazy and don't feel like doing that. Can you take the little valve out of the stem and stick them in like that?

no they are too big...............to bust the bead just take off the rim lay flat, let out all the air and jump up and down on one side.............POC..........put in the beads............arefill with air

xjnation said:
no they are too big...............to bust the bead just take off the rim lay flat, let out all the air and jump up and down on one side.............POC..........put in the beads............arefill with air

POC= ???

Dirt cake... stuff made with vanilla pudding and crushed up oreos.... ahhhhhhhhh.... ::squirt::

Back