• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Hd Sye?

Gojeep said:
I have looked over their whole site for it last week and now again today and cant find anything listed for a 242?
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/categories.aspx?id=878
I don't know why they do that but it's always been that way on the 242 SYE. You have to call them to order it. If you'd like, I can give them a call for you on Monday Marcus, let me know & I'll get you a price.
-Todd

Thanks very much Todd for the offer. Looking at what you and others have posted on this thread, I think I may just have to go the RE route. Still waiting to hear back from MIT or others about their SYE and how it is different for the extra money before a final decision this week.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29421&page=2&pp=15

biggthumpup.gif

Hey LOOK!!!

Randy

I would like to put one together but I need to know there is a market to sell the parts. Remember, I mean a market of hundreds to make it worth the tooling and mold fees.

John

If we make enough noise they might make it. Get those mails a rolling!

Awful nice guy to spend his time replying on a Sunday night!

"Thanks for the reply John!

There are an awful lot of people posting either asking if there is or bitching cause there isn’t. I wouldn’t trade my 242 for anything, makes dealing with the snow much easier. There are tons of them out there and they are supposedly rated for more torque than the 231 (stock) but none of the hardcore guys use them because there aren’t any parts. If it was available more people would use them. The thread I mentioned shows how heavy the shaft from the 242AMG is, about like a 241. We were wondering ir the plastic sleeve from your 231 kit might work. If the surplus AMG boxes gave us a starting point it should really cut your tooling costs too. I guess the hard thing there is a tailcone to let you run the speedo gear. I haven’t seen any pics but I guess the HD242 in the Durango and Grand Cherokee might also make good donors. Does the 241 use a similar speedo gear arrangement? Somebody said the tailcone bolt pattern looked the same, maybe one could be set up to use for both, giving more applications for the same development cost. I wish I had all these parts to look at here in front of me, then I could probably answer a bunch of my own dumb questions.

Thanks again!

Randy"

A little shameless begging might go a long way!!!

Maybe we should start a poll to see how many would buy a HD 242 SYE? I looked to see if I could do it but cant? Can someone who can set one up. Otherwise, everyone please keep sending in those emails to him.

Last edited:
Gojeep said:
Just got word from JB conversions on why they dont make a HD kit for the 242 or if there was one in the pipeline. His reply today was:"I know some people need it but at the moment we have some products higher on the list to take care of. We don’t get many inquiries for it. If I had regular weekly calls requesting it, then we would look at it."

So come on guys, let him know you want one.
His email is: [email protected]
Phone: 337-625-2379

Fax: 337-626-8365

Hopefully I'm not the only one to have emailed him.

Gojeep said:
Can anyone spell the differences between the RE Hack and Tap, Tom Woods and the MIT SYE for the 242?
I know the RE I have to cut the output shaft myself plus drill and tap, which is no big deal, and Tom Woods's pre 96 they do it for you but everything else is exactly the same including the flange used? The MIT is the only one as far as I know that uses a yoke for the pre 96's and cut the thread at the end of a stock shaft but is there anything else different for the extra $200 over a RE one? Any other SYE out there for the 242 for the pre 96's as seems no HD version is coming soon so have to use something in the mean time?

There's a huge difference when you're talking about 1996 and newer NP242s. The RE H&T I installed had me cut the output shaft, leaving 1" of splines, threading the end of the shaft, and bolting on a flange. So I ended up with a flange hanging off the end of the shaft. It was fine for about a year, until the flange loosened up and I developed vibes. I called RE and the sold me a new flange. This one lasted 6 months.

I called Tom Woods and they sent out an output shaft cut down and resplined. The shaft was several inches shorter than the output shaft I removed. This is done so the new flange (nothing like the RE H&T flange) goes over the splines, and the bolt sandwiches the flange against the output shaft bearing's inner race.

With Tom Woods kit the flange is installed properly, and made to last a long time. The RE kit is a temporary band-aid.

FrankNBrew said:
There's a huge difference when you're talking about 1996 and newer NP242s. The RE H&T I installed had me cut the output shaft, leaving 1" of splines, threading the end of the shaft, and bolting on a flange. So I ended up with a flange hanging off the end of the shaft. It was fine for about a year, until the flange loosened up and I developed vibes. I called RE and the sold me a new flange. This one lasted 6 months.

I called Tom Woods and they sent out an output shaft cut down and resplined. The shaft was several inches shorter than the output shaft I removed. This is done so the new flange (nothing like the RE H&T flange) goes over the splines, and the bolt sandwiches the flange against the output shaft bearing's inner race.

With Tom Woods kit the flange is installed properly, and made to last a long time. The RE kit is a temporary band-aid.

Thankyou for your extra information there. I wonder how much of this applies to my 95 and cant see why it would be that much difference to yours aprt from need the seal housing? Anyone with a MIT one they can tell me about?

FrankNBrew said:

Yo went through the same headache and wallet aches I did on my 98. Got the RE hack n tap and went through two flanges and then finally called Mr. Woods for his set-up. Did you actually get a flange or a yoke for your system. I went from a flange style with the RE HnT to a yoke style with Tom's. With having both front and rear D/S being yoke style CV's I only have to carry one spare.

Tom Woods one is a flange type for the 95 and earlier so cant get that advantage. :( I have not bought any SYE yet as still hoping something will turn up that I want but no luck yet. Might just have to get a RE one until Currie make a HD version for us all? Going to try this week to see if a later model housing can be used on a early T/C and then at least just buy a flange until something better turns up and not have the seal worries.

CartsXJ said:
Yo went through the same headache and wallet aches I did on my 98. Got the RE hack n tap and went through two flanges and then finally called Mr. Woods for his set-up. Did you actually get a flange or a yoke for your system. I went from a flange style with the RE HnT to a yoke style with Tom's. With having both front and rear D/S being yoke style CV's I only have to carry one spare.

I also have the yoke in the rear. I ordered 2 driveshafts the exact same length, and the stock front shaft is now the spare. Very nice setup!!

Has anyone ever just cut the stock tail cone housing right back only just long enough to hold a new seal making it the same length as the RE seal housing? It is the only difference between a RE 1801 and a 1807 but they charge over a $100 extra for it! Just then to find a new seal for it but cant be that hard as only need to fit the part it runs on on the flange and the inside on the tailcone where it bolts to the Speedo housing. It will be bigger in that area as the tail cone tapers.

Got a reply from Tom Woods. Has some nice insight in their too about theirs compared to a RE SYE.
The reason I do not manufacture a HD conversion for the 242 transfer case seems to be the same reason others such as JB Conversion and Advance Adapters do not, that is a simple matter of economics. Even after the considerable expense of product design and development there would be the production costs. As it is now for the 231 transfer cases, each of the components are ordered in minimum quantities of 500 and usually even higher quantities. Based on current sales history of our conversion, if I were to have 500 of these made, I would expect that I would have a 5 year inventory.

And of course I would also expect the costs for these kits to be substantially more than what we get the 231 HD conversion kit for. It is unknown what the market would bear for pricing. My thought is that the general market would not be willing to pay enough to make this option viable. Especially so given my observation of the number of people who will spend all day on the internet and oftentimes purchasing what I would believe to be an inferior product, because they can "save" 20 bucks.

I would like to take the time to address a couple of other issues or questions or statements I read on the NAXJA forum;

I readily acknowledge that we have had some problems in the past with our conversion kit, mostly with leaking seals. If you are a regular reader of this forum or others you may also be aware of these problems. Like almost any other product on the market, our conversion for the 242 has been evolutionary in nature. That is to say that we really didn't get it perfect the first time out. Although we did not intentionally send out anything that we knew would have problems, periodic problems have shown their ugly heads. I strive for excellence and when these problems seemed to more frequently than a reasonable person would expect, I looked for ways to improve. Our first conversions used a modified tail cone and one seal. Occasionally they leaked, We changed to tandem seals. Occasionally the outer seal would come loose from the bore and leak. I think part of this problem was it being too dry and the subsequent overheating. We then started having a new bearing and seal retainer made which is a bit thicker. I believe this allows for a better heat sink and also less expansion of the housing with the result of better seal retention. Although I cannot say that we have achieved 100% success with this design it is very near. The seal retention on the '96 and newer applications have gone through a similar evolutionary process and we believe we have finally got the "bugs worked out" with this conversion too.

Since there seems to be a little confusion about the method we use in our conversion, I will also take this opportunity to point out a couple of differences between our conversion and what many refer to as the "hack and tap" kit.
With the other "hack and tap" kit, after the shaft has been shortened, you will still have a substantial area of unsupported shaft beyond the rear output bearing. The result of this is known as "overhung load." The drive shaft which would install against the modified shaft will weigh about 15 pounds while the factory original drive shaft weighs about 9 pounds. This in itself will nearly double the overhung load. We must also consider that under a load, the drive shaft will have a tendency to want to straighten out. This will also increase the overhung load.

You should also understand that in order for the new output flange to install on the output shaft, there must be some minor internal clearance between the splined bore of the flange and the splines on the shaft. Because of this clearance, you will then have the potential for minor independent movement between the flange and the shaft. This independent movement, over time (sometimes a very short time) will wear down the splines on the output shaft and enlarge the splines in the bore of the flange. When this happens, it will, because of the looseness between the parts, allow the flange to run eccentric. This will cause a vibration problem with the vehicle. Most people, upon discovering this problem, will re-tighten the retaining bolt. Unless the output shaft has been cut off perfectly square, this will cause the face of the flange to be less than perfectly perpendicular to the centerline of the output shaft. This will usually cause even a more severe vibration problem.

With our conversion kit, there will be a more substantial shortening of the output shaft, reducing the overhung load. Furthermore, the rear output flange or yoke is solidly "sandwiched" between the retaining nut or washer and the rear output bearing. This secure attachment will prevent the wearing of the splines on the mating parts. Thus, preventing the problem as outlined above.

In essence, I believe that with our conversion you will have good results and if you want a larger out-put shaft the only option at this point would be to convert to a different transfer case.

Please include this text in any reply.

Tom Wood
Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts Inc.
Toll Free US 1-877-497-4238
Worldwide 801-737-0757

Art & Text Copyright, Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts Inc.
WWW.4XSHAFT.COM

I'm going to see a guy tomorrow who owns a small engineering company that manufactures splined shafts and gears for F1 race cars. He can produce in low volumes from one shaft upwards. My idea is to take the JB Conversions super short 231 SYE with electronic speedo sender and have the following parts made to achieve a HD 242 conversion.

- Brand new custom designed HD shaft (no core exchange required) Shorter than stock but 1" longer than you would expect!
- 1" thick milled billet adaptor that fits between the 242 and the JB tail cone (clocked).

This idea requires 242 owners to buy the Super Short JB231 conversion and discard the JB shaft. I'm assuming everyone is happy to keep the stock 242 chain, front shaft and gears to keep the cost down.

The overall length should still be less than a RE H&T.

Obviously, the guy needs to quote me a price and this will depend on volume. I will take the hit on the one-off prototype, but I need to know from you guys what's the maximum price you would be prepared to pay for a custom made heavy duty 242 shaft and adapter for the JB Super Short 231 SYE? Well it's more realistic than saying we won't even think about tooling up unless we have 500 orders. There may only be 10 of these made!

If anyone can see any problem that I have missed with this idea, please let me know. I will post again tomorrow with an update.

Vince said:
I need to know from you guys what's the maximum price you would be prepared to pay for a custom made heavy duty 242 shaft and adapter for the JB Super Short 231 SYE?

Having (literally) ordered my SYE and driveshaft three hours ago, I'd have to say that the most I'd be willing to go would be $350 - that's for both the 242 HD shaft and Super Short conversion. What would be better would be if I could order the conversion minus the 231 shaft with a corresponding price reduction and use that difference to substitute the 242 shaft separately.

Something I'd like to add re: the Tom Woods 242 kit and driveshaft: I had been planning on using him for the SYE and driveshaft, but what killed it for me was the $400 core deposit. I understand the reasoning behind him requiring it (and I'm not bagging on him for doing so by any means), but I just can't tie up $400 for the next four weeks or so while I sort out installing everything and sending the old shaft back.

Thanks. Your expectation falls in what I would call a mass production price band. This is why JB Conversions want 500 firm orders, which translates to about 2500 enquiries or more before they will even think about producing a HD 242 SYE.

The custom made shaft is not going to be cheap in low volume runs. My guess is that the shaft alone will be at least $500 based on Tom Woods current core charge of $400. You will need to add to that the JB NP231JHD kit at $300 and the milled 4 to 5 bolt adapter plate $?.

Just wanted to know how shocked or prepared people were. Hopefully I will be able to let you know tomorrow how much a one-off will be.

91 Jeep Project said:
Here is the Stock 241 shaft next to the JB Shorty SYE Shaft

ss3.jpg

I think you should look into the 241 as mentioned above. Looks like no adaptor needed between the speedo housing and the case. That saves both cost and length.

91 Jeep Project said:
Add a HD 241 Speedo Housing and Speedo collar, and that should be it. It should look something like this when it's done.

fig29.jpg

installed.jpg
With you getting a shaft made you could also use the 241 parts above which appears to have the same 4 bolt pattern as a 242.

Back