• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Hd Sye?

I have a 231, i want a 242 for michigan winter driving in the city, full time is nice.

My question to the knowledgeable folk in this thread is this:

is the 242hd in the durango the same case as the cherokee 242?

IS the aluminum case is the same, is it just internals (i know the chain is thicker on the HD, dont know of any other diff if there is one?) that make the 242hd stronger.

Basically can i swap a 242hd for no more work than a chrokee 242, and not loose anymore ground clearance over a cherokee 242 ? If thats the case (no pun intended lol) it seems like a no brainer for me to swap in a durango 242hd

I didn't know of a 3rd 242, I know the one Chrysler uses and the one AM General uses in Hummers. I would guess that he Durangos is the same as the XJs since they mix and match parts like the 8.25, etc.

IntrepidXJ said:
it still is 27 spline and uses a flange (not a yoke). had one on my 242

This is actually incorrect. I installed one on a buddy's rig a month or so ago, it does use a yoke and not a flange. Tom Woods cuts down the main shaft further then you can with the hack 'n tap; this is why he resplines it.

20.jpg

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
Tom Woods cuts down the main shaft further then you can with the hack 'n tap; this is why he resplines it.

Does he not also use essentially a stock front t-case output yoke in the rear? That would be a 26 spline unit, correct?

I guess that's my point. If it's cut down to 26 spline, you give up a modicum of strength versus some of the other units on the market. The positive is that you only need to carry one spare t-case yoke good for front and rear and possibly only one spare driveshaft.

For most people that's plenty strong and won't ever be an issue.

John90XJ said:
Does he not also use essentially a stock front t-case output yoke in the rear? That would be a 26 spline unit, correct?

I'm not sure on that. If it was true, minus one spline is pretty marginal. Just noticed the year makes a difference on if you get the flange or yoked version, though I am not sure why that matters on the 242. Since he gives you the shaft and tail cone, I don't see where there is a difference. It might just be written that way since the 231 kits are lumped in with the 242s. On red rocks 4x4 no year is designated for the kit.

conversioncompleted.jpg

Here is the Rubicon Hack 'n Tap

sye_6.jpg

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
I'm not sure on that. If it was true, minus one spline is pretty marginal.

You're right...the difference with a stock one is negligible at best. It would be 6 splines versus the other kits out there which is a bit more important.

No matter though...I went with a 27 spline slip yoke with a Spicer CV end and cut and then tapped my own output shaft before cutting down the slip yoke to fit. It's essentially a homebuilt hack-n-tap. So far, so good running a stock ZJ front shaft with an XJ shaft as a spare.

I would think this would also be an option for someone doing a 242 SYE that was capable of doing the "hacking and the tapping".

91 Jeep Project said:
This is actually incorrect. I installed one on a buddy's rig a month or so ago, it does use a yoke and not a flange. Tom Woods cuts down the main shaft further then you can with the hack 'n tap; this is why he resplines it.

20.jpg

then he changed it. probably why the core charge went up.

here's mine when I bought it

DSC00008.JPG

and installed:

DSC06179.JPG

Last edited:
IntrepidXJ said:
what about it...you don;t really give any definate info in #25...just speculation

It was actually a reason why my buddys ('97) has a yoked version and yours ('92) has a flanged version..............:lecture:

I said I didn't know why the year made a difference, and was speculating as to why. But still pointed why we had conflicting info.

ZachMan said:
1. No need for an HD SYE in an aluminum clamshell case, it should crack way before the output shaft breaks.

This is BS. Yes, plenty of people have run hack and taps with no trouble. However, if you're going to spend the money for an SYE (which many people need to do for vibration issues) then it's silly to not spend the few extra dollars to get the HD 32 spline output shaft. And yes, I have seen t-case output shafts break, and I have not seen a 231 case break though I'm sure somewhere it has happened.

The problem with breaking a t-case output shaft is that there's no trail fix for it. Especially if you upgrade to a stronger rear axle, I don't think anyone wants their t-case output shaft to be the weak link. I made the mistake of saving $100 when I got my first non-HD SYE, then when I put in the Tera60 I didn't want the output shaft to be the weak link, so I got a HD SYE........should have done the 32 spline SYE in the first place. If you can afford the few extra dollars for the HD kit, it's well worth it if nothing more than for the piece of mind.......and it's one of those do it once things, or do it right the first time things.

Can't speak about the full time t-cases. I don't need fulltime, and I wouldn't own a case that I can't put a 32 spline output shaft in, so I have no experience with them.....other than seeing an output shaft break. :)

Goatman said:
Can't speak about the full time t-cases. I don't need fulltime, and I wouldn't own a case that I can't put a 32 spline output shaft in, so I have no experience with them.....other than seeing an output shaft break. :)

The AMG case has a 32 spline output. If you sent it to TW to have cut and resplined. Which I imagine he could handle; then you have a "HD" 242 SYE. With the HD 242 parts readily available, I am curious as to why no company has ever put a kit together.

91 Jeep Project said:
The AMG case has a 32 spline output. If you sent it to TW to have cut and resplined. Which I imagine he could handle; then you have a "HD" 242 SYE. With the HD 242 parts readily available, I am curious as to why no company has ever put a kit together.

Cause nobody puts Hummer t-cases in XJs?

Goatman said:
This is BS. Yes, plenty of people have run hack and taps with no trouble. However, if you're going to spend the money for an SYE (which many people need to do for vibration issues) then it's silly to not spend the few extra dollars to get the HD 32 spline output shaft. And yes, I have seen t-case output shafts break, and I have not seen a 231 case break though I'm sure somewhere it has happened.

The problem with breaking a t-case output shaft is that there's no trail fix for it. Especially if you upgrade to a stronger rear axle, I don't think anyone wants their t-case output shaft to be the weak link. I made the mistake of saving $100 when I got my first non-HD SYE, then when I put in the Tera60 I didn't want the output shaft to be the weak link, so I got a HD SYE........should have done the 32 spline SYE in the first place. If you can afford the few extra dollars for the HD kit, it's well worth it if nothing more than for the piece of mind.......and it's one of those do it once things, or do it right the first time things.

Meh your opinion, it use to be mine too. Every 231 I had always got an AA HD SYE, but now I have an XJ with the 242 so I make due....cause I found out I really like fulltime on wet roads. Might not be a big deal for some, but when you drive 20k miles + a year it is. I figure an atlas will go in if I ever start upgrading axles to serious beef (d60/609,etc)

Still can you tell me about some of these 242 failures you've seen? Tire size? conditions, etc?

The difference in weather you get a yoke style or a flange style is because of the tail-cone section of the 242 differs between the years. After 97, the 242 and 231 I believe, came with an external slip yoke rear output. You could actually run with no rear d/s and not have to worry about loosing fluid as you did with pre-97's. The early cases require a cover to bolt on to wear the tail-cone was.

Also the 242's front out is 32 spline. 26 spline yoke is the same spec as a front 231 output yoke. So actually is you put a AMG242 main shaft in a regular 242 you get the advantage of front and rear 32 spline output. Wear as with the 231 you can only have a 26 spline front output.

jeepnuts311 said:
gojeep, i have a NP242AMG from a milspec hummer if you want it. shipping to australia would be high, but ill let you have it for free. its 32 spline input and 32 spline slip yoke.

-tim

Looking at all the comments I really like this idea. Freight from LA is sorted as found someone with a shipping container going from there to here and even a whole axle assembly is only costing me $90! Cost more to get it to LA. Do you think that just the output shaft and speedo housing could be used to give me a 32 spline output shaft? This following photos are from a Hummer 242 I found.
Mvc-417f.jpg

Would still have to seal off that bearing and drill and tap the shafts unless there is a SYE for them which I will look into in a minute.

Dont know if just the shaft can be swapped though as take it there would be differences like this? No speedo drive like ours so I think that rules out a shaft only swap?
Mvc-421f.jpg

Just comparing to the FSM they look similar on the most part but someone who has had a 242 tell me if they look the same?
Mvc-426f.jpg

Dont think our 242's have things like this?
Mvc-427f.jpg

Is the bolt pattern even the same to mate to the AW4 or at least to the low range part of the box?

ZachMan said:
Meh your opinion, it use to be mine too. Every 231 I had always got an AA HD SYE, but now I have an XJ with the 242 so I make due....cause I found out I really like fulltime on wet roads. Might not be a big deal for some, but when you drive 20k miles + a year it is. I figure an atlas will go in if I ever start upgrading axles to serious beef (d60/609,etc)

Still can you tell me about some of these 242 failures you've seen? Tire size? conditions, etc?

One was refered to earlier. I was right behind him when he bounced on a ledge and broke the 242 output shaft. D44 rear end (stock shafts) with 33" MT/R's. I've seen 231's, D20's, and D300's break output shafts. That's why so many go to the big shafts, or go to an Atlas. It's always a problem getting a rig off the trail that has broken the output shaft. Of course, I wheel on rocks, which is different than in some other parts of the country, so what works in one area might not work in another.

Your first opinion is correct......get a HD shaft when you can. :)

Did find this thread which does show the speedo problem and dont know if it was ever over come?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8851

If you use this link and go through the slide show it shows all the differences.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/EA5F034F3F641BC

This thread http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10379&page=1&pp=15 is on a similar question to what I had and also shows this picture.

hd%20sye.jpg

"Heres my JB kit!"
How is the speedo driven on this then. I take it this must be a 231 so how is the speedo now driven?

Back