• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Hd Sye?

91 Jeep Project said:
Not the whole case, just the internals. With as many vehicles that have the HD 242. It would not take much for someone like AA to put a HD SYE Kit together.

Jackass............:laugh3:

Well make one.... :laugh3:

Once I get more ready to upgrade I'd seriously like looking into swapping some parts with the AMG 242. I see them on ebay all the time for under $100.

Gojeep said:
Did find this thread which does show the speedo problem and dont know if it was ever over come?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8851

If you use this link and go through the slide show it shows all the differences.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/EA5F034F3F641BC

This thread http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10379&page=1&pp=15 is on a similar question to what I had and also shows this picture.

hd%20sye.jpg

"Heres my JB kit!"
How is the speedo driven on this then. I take it this must be a 231 so how is the speedo now driven?

Think I know how to fix the speedo problem too. If you look here http://jeepin.com/features/sye/jbsye4.shtml on Jason's JB install the shaft get a speedo drive collar slid over the shaft in the thickened area. So long as they are the same size there and you can get this part you have a winner. :)
jbsye45.jpg

The shaft looks a lot like the Hummer one doesn't it in spline thickness? So maybe it will slide on? You could perhaps use the whole JB sye kit ( not the shaft of course ) as the spline count is the same. Is the speedo housing bolt pattern the same between the 231 and 242? Otherwise a front 242 yoke might be able to be used as the same spline count.

JB below
jbsye31.jpg

standard

Hummer the last two ( early and later models ) with a stock 242 the top one above

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={93339047-457D-488C-BAD1-9A77EBC42638}&ndx=36&slideshow=0&AlbumId={A2D42F72-4E62-4BA4-B63D-2C587DF14569}&GroupId=&screenheight=960

Last edited:
Keeping it even simpler to just get the stronger shaft, could perhaps use the whole JB sye kit and turn down the shaft part that is inside the box until it is same as the splineless part of the 242 shaft? You would have to re-harden it though. Other thing is, is the speedo housing bolt pattern the same between the 231 and 242?

JB below
jbsye31.jpg

standard

Hummer the last two ( early and later models ) with a stock 242 the top one above

Last edited:
Gojeep said:
Keeping it even simpler to just get the stronger shaft, could perhaps use the whole JB sye kit and turn down the shaft part that is inside the box until it is same as the splineless part of the 242 shaft? You would have to re-harden it though. Other thing is, is the speedo housing bolt pattern the same between the 231 and 242?

JB below
jbsye31.jpg

standard

Unfortunately, the 231 has a different bolt pattern than the 242. The 242 uses a 4-bolt pattern, compared to the 5 of the 231. If you could change out the bearing in teh housing to except the larger 32 spline shaft and machine down the shaft to except a 242 front output yoke you would have one hella strong alum. chain driven t/c.

Thanks for that information. Has anyone ever had a early and late style output shaft from a 242 next to each other? The biggest problem I dont like about the early RE style SYE is the fluid leaking down the shaft splines. But with the later 96+ the speedo housing seals the fluid so you dont have that problem. So my thoughts were if I could just swap housing over but might have to swap output shafts as well if the part where the seal runs on the shaft is different to the earlier years.
My other thought is still using the 231 JB HD SYE and turning down the shaft to get rid on the splines not needed inside the case on a 242 and using that. I would need to use the later 242 housing to seal it but are the shafts are the same overall length otherwise? This way you would get rid of the weakest part of a 242 or 231 one output shaft which is the area of the speedo drive.

I'm no expert on this 242 stuff, but I do know that the 241 main shaft is awfully similar to the AMG 242 main shaft shown above. Here is a picture of a AA HD slip yoke shaft next to a stock 231 shaft next to a 241 main shaft.

AAstockWide241_lg.jpg

Diameters_lg.jpg

This is from my madxj article on making a HD 231 found in the tech section of www.madxj.com. http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JAtCaseUpgrade/tCaseUpgrade.htm

I think 241's are easily found since full sized chevys use them and there were MANY of those made compared to the number of AMG Hummers! I believe the rear output shaft splines are 32 and I think the front output shafts are 32 splines too. Also, if I recall correctly, the front output shaft on the 241's use a separate output shaft chain gear. So, one might be able to swap front output shafts but keep the stock Jeep 242 front output shaft chain gear to get the stronger 32 spline front output shaft of a stock 241. It might take some investigating, but I would encourage you folks to look at chevy 241's for donor parts too. Jeff

Speaking of 241 transfer cases, can a sye for these work for a 242? They are made. http://www.gloeco.com/short_shaft_kits.htm. That place also makes sye yokes for various devices. Perhaps one of them would help with the 242 problem. http://www.gloeco.com/drive_shaft_SYE.htm. Also look here for possibilities: http://www.gloeco.com/SYE_Kits_$375.htm

JB even makes a super short 241 kit now. http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/NP241SYEkits.htm How the heck different is the 242 from the 241? I would like to know why a 241 kit wouldn't work on a 242. The main shafts sure look similar. Jeff

The outside looks pretty similar. Even if you couldn't use the main shaft, the 241 tail cone looks identical to the 242. So you could use the new 241 sye tailcone on the 242 to fit the new 32 spline mainshaft from them AMG 242. Which will also solve the steering gear issue.

Here is a split shot of a 242

nv242_1.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
Here is the Stock 241 shaft next to the JB Shorty SYE Shaft

ss3.jpg

WOW!!!! that kit might actually work. I've taken my 242 apart a few times, one for a complete rebuild, and I've never even thought about looking into 241 parts. It even has the bearing area right where it needs to be. Ok now who's gonna be the first to try it out? Wish I could, right now, but the lockers gotta go in first. How much is the kit anyways? I might just have to, it would be sweet to have the strength of a HD231 with a stronger front output, 32 spline, and to keep that full-time option.

CartsXJ said:
WOW!!!! that kit might actually work. I've taken my 242 apart a few times, one for a complete rebuild, and I've never even thought about looking into 241 parts. It even has the bearing area right where it needs to be. Ok now who's gonna be the first to try it out? Wish I could, right now, but the lockers gotta go in first. How much is the kit anyways? I might just have to, it would be sweet to have the strength of a HD231 with a stronger front output, 32 spline, and to keep that full-time option.

I'd have no problem researching it if my rig actually had a 242. There has to be some major difference that we are overlooking though. If the 241 kit dropped right into the 242, then they would be marketing it as a 242 kit as well. I do know that the 231 JB SYE mainshaft is a 241 mainshaft. So since the 241 mainshaft is used in the HD 231 kits, there is obviously a difference somehwere. So maybe one can answer the other. What is the difference bewteen a 231 shaft and a 242 shaft?

Last edited:
Jeff 98XJ WI said:
I'm no expert on this 242 stuff, but I do know that the 241 main shaft is awfully similar to the AMG 242 main shaft shown above.
I think 241's are easily found since full sized chevys use them and there were MANY of those made compared to the number of AMG Hummers! I believe the rear output shaft splines are 32 and I think the front output shafts are 32 splines too. Also, if I recall correctly, the front output shaft on the 241's use a separate output shaft chain gear. So, one might be able to swap front output shafts but keep the stock Jeep 242 front output shaft chain gear to get the stronger 32 spline front output shaft of a stock 241. It might take some investigating, but I would encourage you folks to look at chevy 241's for donor parts too. Jeff
Pretty sure that the front output shaft is already 32 spline in the 242. Interesting to see though that the housing have the same bolt count as the 242 and maybe be able to be used? The shafts dont look like they will swap over unless you are using other parts from the 241.
I did find out that the MIT SYE still use the yoke style even with their 95 and earlier kits ( Tom Woods only use the yoke for 96+ ) but are asking a lot of money ( $465 ) for a re-worked main shaft and seal housing and a stock Spicer yoke they said they used with it. No driveshaft in that price either.

CartsXJ said:

The problem is the same as what you can see above where I posted the two pictures at #47 posting. The shaft in the 242 has no spline at all on the part that rides inside the main case. You have to flip one of the photos in your mind to see what I mean. You could remove that splines in a lathe but then you lose all the hardness and would have to re-harden it. Dont know what that would do to the part that is already still hardened but un touched?

Gojeep said:
The problem is the same as what you can see above where I posted the two pictures at #47 posting. The shaft in the 242 has no spline at all on the part that rides inside the main case. You have to flip one of the photos in your mind to see what I mean. You could remove that splines in a lathe but then you lose all the hardness and would have to re-harden it. Dont know what that would do to the part that is already still hardened but un touched?

Yeah, I am thinking a 242 AMG Main Shaft, cut and resplined, with the tail cone off the HD 241 SYE.

91 Jeep Project said:
Yeah, I am thinking a 242 AMG Main Shaft, cut and resplined, with the tail cone off the HD 241 SYE.

Yes you guys are right it won't just drop right in, I jumped to soon. The other hang up with the 241 shaft, besides the splines, is the fact that the front section is longer than that of the 231 and 241 t/c. I remember now when I had mine apart last time, we did some comparision for that, WHAT IF????, and the lengths are just wrong. I guess the best option is to use a AMG 242 main shaft, and tailcone with the proper seal, followed by a 242 front yoke, AMG or Jeep, your choice.

I need to find a AMG 242 some where locally...mmm.....

Back