• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Hd Sye?

scott00tj said:
The AW4 is from a 2000 XJ.

A `01 AW4 and `98 NV242 should bolt together no problem.

Vince

Where does the HD242 project you were working on lie? It's been awhile since your post, so I fear its a dead project.

I have a HD JB 231 case with SSYE that I would love to use for parts in order to use the SSYE on my 242.

CartsXJ said:
You should be fine bolting everything up. Are those guys running the 242's in their TJ's, running a manual or an auto. That AW4 of yours is already pretty long.

If memory serves me correctly, one has an AW4 as well and another a 3550? I will have to confirm that though. The AW4 is about an inch longer then my 3550 was, and the SSYE took off that inch so I about broke even there.

scott00tj said:
Vince

Where does the HD242 project you were working on lie? It's been awhile since your post, so I fear its a dead project.

I have a HD JB 231 case with SSYE that I would love to use for parts in order to use the SSYE on my 242.

If you want a HD 242 case with SYE, first thing, sell your HD231 case with SYE. Use that money to search out a AMG242 from a 93 or 95+ H1, can't remember the break years of the splines.

Use the front half of your 242J and replace teh planetary gears from the 242J with the ones from the AMG242, they have 6 planetary gears compared to the 3 in your 242J. Use the shift rail from your 242 J and the main shaft and tail housing from the AMG242. Depending on the year of the AMG242 you might need to Hack and tap the end of the tailshaft for a fixed yoke. Use the front output yoke from your AMG242 or find another front output yoke from a 242J, as a rear yoke and bolt everything up.

That is the conversion in its about a paragraph. I am working this conversion as we speak and the only machine work I've had to do is on the tailshaft of the AMG 242 for the fixed yoke. As soon as I finish the conversion up, I plan on doing a write up. The only problem is work and life have taken alot of jeep time and money away, hate it when that happens.

I've also heard rumors of the 242J out of the Libby's have a 32 spline mainshaft. Which could easily be machined to bolt up a fixe yoke.

CartsXJ said:
If you want a HD 242 case with SYE, first thing, sell your HD231 case with SYE. Use that money to search out a AMG242 from a 93 or 95+ H1, can't remember the break years of the splines.

Use the front half of your 242J and replace teh planetary gears from the 242J with the ones from the AMG242, they have 6 planetary gears compared to the 3 in your 242J. Use the shift rail from your 242 J and the main shaft and tail housing from the AMG242. Depending on the year of the AMG242 you might need to Hack and tap the end of the tailshaft for a fixed yoke. Use the front output yoke from your AMG242 or find another front output yoke from a 242J, as a rear yoke and bolt everything up.
Thanks for the cliff notes version, makes it easier to fallow for a newbie to this conversion.

CartsXJ said:
I am working this conversion as we speak and the only machine work I've had to do is on the tailshaft of the AMG 242 for the fixed yoke. As soon as I finish the conversion up, I plan on doing a write up. The only problem is work and life have taken alot of jeep time and money away, hate it when that happens.
Can't wait to see the final product and writeup. Remember, I'm a picture whore. :D Where are you getting your parts from?

CartsXJ said:
I've also heard rumors of the 242J out of the Libby's have a 32 spline main shaft. Which could easily be machined to bolt up a fixed yoke.
I've wondered the same thing, but haven't been able to find anyone who has swapping in a KJ's 242. And I don't know enough about them to know what it would take to bolt to an AW4 let alone getting the SYE or SSYE for it.

CartsXJ said:
I am working this conversion as we speak and the only machine work I've had to do is on the tailshaft of the AMG 242 for the fixed yoke. As soon as I finish the conversion up, I plan on doing a write up. The only problem is work and life have taken alot of jeep time and money away, hate it when that happens.

Any updates? Did I miss the writeup?

I wish I had time to finish this up, it stares at me everytime I walk out in the garage. Speically, seeing as I moved last week and I had to move the two cases also. One of these days I'll get to it.

Dredging up some really old stuff!

First...any progress on a Hd 242??? Didn't think so...Damn!

2nd ..according to gojeeps how-to from his site....a very affordable SYE can be had for a 242....my question is ...his shows a pre-96 242 with the removable tailshaft housing and using the RE seal/cover...this method allows the yoke to rest against the output rear bearing....

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

I have a 99 242 without the long tailshaft cover....and apparently I can't rest the yoke againt the bearing...eventually leading to excessive lateral movement...and seal leakage....as per Tom Wood's response

As a fix.....could i just use the older pre-96 spedo /bearing housing on the newer 242 and follow his instructions from there? will the older cover/bearing housing work on the newer 242....I'm thinking it might since the newer ones replaced the older ones to eliminate the tailshaft cover/oil seal...therefore allowing the DS to be removed without leaking fluids...and having an external slip yoke....

Has anyone tried this???

What about the 241 spedo/bearing housing...could that work?

Thanks

Ron Davis

Ron,

If you want the cheapest solution for the late model 242 go with a hack-n-tap from Rubicon express. The next solution is to disassembly your t-case, send your parts to Tom Woods and have him mode them for you . If you have access to a machine shop, you can do them yourself. The only parts you need is a front output yoke off a 231 and the seal that tom woods uses on his late model 242 tail housing. What I would do is give Tom Woods a call and talk to him on your intentions and abilities.

Did you look at go jeep's write up....about 200 bucks cheaper than RE and way less than TW's !

I personally thing its much more superior than the RE flange kit!

I just read through go-jeep's write up and you can go that way if you have access to a pre-96 242 t-case. Though you you maybe have to swap out mainshafts when going with the older style tail housings.

Digging up an old post huh. For those that may remember or bother to reread, has anyone confirmed the swapabilty of the 241 tail to a 242? I just bought a '03 KJ 242 and it does have 32 spline on both outputs? What it doesn't have is the speedo output. Just trying to see if anyone other than Gojeep has followed up.

Angus

A stock 242J is rated at 1486 # torque capacity.

By the way a Durango/Dakota 242HD case also use a 32 spline outputs and is rated at 2028 # torque capacity.

The 32 spline output is the same size as the one used on a NP241.

The 242HD AMG is rated at 2340# torque capacity. It doesnt have a 2wd position.

The AMG case can be converted to have a 2wd position in addition to FT and PT.

Sorry Angus, can't help with your query... haven't touched any KJ stuff yet.

Root Moose said:
The AMG case can be converted to have a 2wd position in addition to FT and PT.

Sorry Angus, can't help with your query... haven't touched any KJ stuff yet.

Sure the AMG can be converted to have a 2wd position, but you lose some of the torque capacity gained by using the 242HD AMG case.

The AMG input shaft is also stronger then the Jeep or Dodge input.

Your KJ one is basicly the same case the Durangos/Dakota use. The output shaft is a straight 32 spline output like a 241 case uses.

It is not the same interference fit 32 spline like a 231 HD output uses.

It hasn't been proven but the 241 hack and tap might work.

All good info. Let me be specific, I was wondering about the rear bearing case on a 241 being the same 4 bolt mounting as a 242. I have the KJ 242 now and dont realy want or need the torque of the 242amg. I would be happy with a 242j, but got a good deal (maybe) on this KJ unit. My concern is finding the rear bearing case to acept the jeep speedo sensor. I checked with the dealer and the 2000 XJ and similar year dodge trucks use the same speedo. Since Ram's use 241's with a similar size rear shaft diameter and hence rear bearing I am hoping it will bolt on. At that point I will move on to the shaft and modifing it for a yoke.

Angus

Cant remember if there was a gasket between the tail housing and the case or not. But if so, I would buy both the 241 and a 242J gaskets and overlay and see if the bolt patterns match up. That is a great start if they do.

I'm going to try and do a visual comparison tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Back