• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TW 242 sye kit

mikecooper

NAXJA Forum User
Its late and ive been doing alot of reading on the sye kit for the 242 and have 1 ? to ask. Can you purchase the kit w/o his ds and save some $$. I plan on using a spare front ds i already have and wouldnt mind saving another $175 or so. I'll call if I get a chance but wanted to know if anyone has done this and what you actaully saved. TIA
Mike and son

What transmission and rear axle are you running? If it is a AW4 with a D35 or even a D44 or 8.25 it will be too short anyway ( around 2" too short ). You need to have a manual with either the 8.25 or D44 to use one. Then you also need a 96 or later 242 to get a yoke rather than the flange end he suppliers with the earlier ones. Otherwise you have to buy a flange yoke adaptor to mate the front shaft to the flange.
Pretty sure I remember all those details correctly but someone can chime in if something is not right about what I gained from this forum.

i run a front shaft on my sye, but have 231 aw4 8.25. even at approx 5" of lift it works good. i am using a zj front shaft which measures about 32-35 collapsed and extended. just measure to find out how long you will need and see if you can find one that will work.

I have a 99 XJ, AW4, 242, 8.25 axle, with the Tom Wood's SYE. Both driveshafts are Tom Wood's, and they are exactly the same length.

FrankNBrew said:
I have a 99 XJ, AW4, 242, 8.25 axle, with the Tom Wood's SYE. Both driveshafts are Tom Wood's, and they are exactly the same length.
Doesn't mean they are the 'correct' length for the application. Could you measure from the first yoke centre in the double cardon to the centre of the rear uni at both diffs? Like to know how much you have had to compromise. Mine with D35 rear and AW4 with a 242 shows 2.125" difference. The 8.25 is only 3/4" longer in the pinion than the D35!

Back