• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wet carpet, take 2. AAAARRRRGH!!

From the sites I just posted:
"Remember when I said that due to age and weather, the nut may pull away from the rubber? Well Chrysler also noticed this, and while they do still carry the rubber replacement wellnuts, I do not recommend using them. The replacement to use, is kinda like a dry-wall anchor. It is all metal and has a rubber coated end and a threaded end. It works by tightening the screw in the nut which will then draw the threaded end towards the rubber end, causing the middle to splay out and anchoring in place."

Sold in packs of 25 thru a hardware store near me, have to order them though. Should be $10 for the box of 25, so I may have some extra. Will get final pricing tomorrow to be sure. Might be in bid-ness after all...

if you liked $2.52, you'll really like this:

88 cents each. Shipped.
Long way from $6, each huh? (though I found one dealer wanted $9 each for them.)

Details to follow.

Man talk about dedication, haha. nice work diggin up the deals Greg. thanks for posting the part numbers as well, maybe somewhere down the line someone else will find this thread and solve their problem right away.

:thumbup:

Man talk about dedication, haha. nice work diggin up the deals Greg. thanks for posting the part numbers as well, maybe somewhere down the line someone else will find this thread and solve their problem right away.

:thumbup:

Yeah, the part number you want to fix the OEM rack is definitely p/n 34201672 from jeep, but it translates to p/n 16235 from auveco.com, an auto fastener wholesaler. Auveco sells them to Chrysler from what I can gather. Lots of places sell auveco's stuff, but they don't sell direct to the public. If anyone needs contact info for the place I'm getting them from locally, drop me a line. $10/box for 15 in a box.

Double boom.

Different place. 66 cents each. Now, who's the man?

Yeah, the part number you want to fix the OEM rack is definitely p/n 34201672 from jeep, but it translates to p/n 16235 from auveco.com, an auto fastener wholesaler. Auveco sells them to Chrysler from what I can gather. Lots of places sell auveco's stuff, but they don't sell direct to the public. If anyone needs contact info for the place I'm getting them from locally, drop me a line. $10/box for 15 in a box.

sweet deal!!! may have to give ya a holler in a few!:wave:

Well...apparently I still got issues with water. I left it outside in the LA rain overnight and today I opened the hatch to see what happened. (I wisely left all the carpet, etc out to make it easy on myself.)

The rear cargo floor is still wet on the right/passenger side, right near the wheel well. I pulled all the plastic interior coverings off, and saw this:

Apparently the water is running inside the hatch frame right-side well (the one that allows access to the brakelight/taillight/reverse bulbs if you wanted to get to them this way) and running UNDER the metal bracket. There's supposed to be a heavy layer of sealant (looks like that's what it was) from the factory, but they either missed a small pinhole or over the years the body has flexed to the point that it's now allowing water to run into the floor channels. And like I kinda thought, they run in those channels right up to where the passenger seat bolts in.

Also noticed water sitting around the pin/catch depressed area too, and traced that down to water exiting a hole in the body on the right side lower corner of the open hatch.

Sealed both of these up (and the corresponding same 2 holes on the left side, just be to sure) with RTV silicone and buttoned everything back up. Putting it outside again tonight for LA STORM OF THE CENTURY: PART II (those of you who live here will get that joke.)

Pictures below to explain. Roof plugs should be here wednesday to seal THAT part up.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Last edited:
If this is an '89, I'd bet on the rear quarter windows. Both of my '89 have leaked between the rubber and body. My '87 doesn't have this problem. My observation is that the rubber on the '89s has shrunk. Apparently it was a bad year for rubber.

Not just 89- my 97 leaked badly on the pass side- the tech at MAGIC said they'd replaced the seals on quite a few Cherokees due to leaking excessively. But, with the trim out, it was pretty easy to follow the leak- while it puddles there by the D pillars, and in the lower recesses, it left trails in the dust below the windows. If you don't see any signs of water there, you might be able to cross that off the list of culprits (the tech also told me he'd be surprised if I had just one leak. Not very reassuring).

If this is an '89, I'd bet on the rear quarter windows. Both of my '89 have leaked between the rubber and body. My '87 doesn't have this problem. My observation is that the rubber on the '89s has shrunk. Apparently it was a bad year for rubber.

It's an 88, and I don't have any water leaking around windows (you talking about the two side windows in the back hatch, right?). All of them are still nice & dusty, so I think it would be easy to spot...

Look and see if the rubber is pulling away from the body at the top rear corner of the rear side windows on the outside of the vehicle. If it isn't laying tight against the body, I think that's at least one of your culprits. The other culprit may be the rubber on the hatch.

Look and see if the rubber is pulling away from the body at the top rear corner of the rear side windows on the outside of the vehicle. If it isn't laying tight against the body, I think that's at least one of your culprits. The other culprit may be the rubber on the hatch.

Tight exterior window seals all around on the rear windows. New seal around the hatch about 4 months ago.

Swing and a miss. Didn't take. Rain today. Wet inside, right rear again. Back to pulling the interior molding off again...

Being a new member to the Forum (ands thanks to all of you!) and having read all 7 pages of your thread with interest since my '91 XJ has had the exact same issues as you since purchasing it 1 year ago, I hope to add my 2 cents as briefly as possible.

After I replaced the liftgate seal with a new OEM seal and tightening the gate hinges/strikebolt, it has come to my attention that rain water is moving along the inside of the liftgate at the top and to my bewilderment, getting by the weatherstrip seal along the top of the liftgate, working its way down the interior sides of the liftgate near and in the glass seal. From there (without a long explanation) the water ends up in each bottom corner of the liftgate where it can then drip onto the cargo bed trim along the back and move under the rubber of the carpet and of course forward into the cargo area and beyond depending on the amount.

Since I live in a climate that sees a bit more rain than you, you may not notice the small amounts it takes to create the wet carpet, but as we all know, any amount water cannot evaporate under the rubber backing of the carpet and will continue to build up.

Like you, I have been scratching my head for a year and since I have not been able to determine why water is getting by the weatherstrip, when every thing seems to be as other '90 to '96 XJ's that don't leak, I am renewing my efforts over the next few days to somehow create a artificial "drip edge" on the liftgate above the weathersrip seal to see if water can be better diverted into the channel prior to it getting by the seal. Sounds silly, but am hoping this will help and will keep you posted on results.

update:
Yesterday I stripped all the interior molding from the right rear window and ceiling and side, including the wheel well hole, coated the right rear cargo window seal with baby powder, coated the floor seals corner with baby powder, and parked it to wait on the rain.

And the rain did not let me down. I've checked it twice now in the pouring rain and...no leaks. Nothing. Powder is still dry all around.

My thinking is that the water came in the holes in the roof that I have taped with metal adhesive tape. I drove it a bit yesterday in the rain (man, did we have some rain here yesterday!), and when I got home the wind/rain had curled up the tape a small amount in spots, probably letting some water in and pushing it to the rear of the roof and out as I drove.

To verify I have to wait till my roof washers get here, drop them in, and try again.

I did see that water is still pooling up below the plastic trim in the pin/catch depression in the floor. I'm gonna RTV the hell out of that once the rain lets up. Looks like it's running around the door within the rear hatch V-seal and dumping out @ the hatch to pool up. Although there's a considerable raised bump around the pin catch, I gotta figure out a way to keep water on the outside of that pin.

Back