• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wet carpet, take 2. AAAARRRRGH!!

Its no help but my hatch looks just as bad as his, and SURPRISE! Its been removed and reinstalled, just like his.

To get the mold, must odor out, try mixing water and bleach, 75 25. For the underside, kills most mold, bacteria, odor. Don't spray it anywhere visible.

Took off the two outside roof rails (the ones that hold the crossbars). Found out I need the rubber threaded grommets (6 per rail) that pop into the roof and hold the torx bolts.

Then I found out that they are discontinued from Jeep.

Anyone got a line on replacements, new or used? Mine separated in half (the bolts just turn the threaded portion in circles and don't tighten down b/c the rubber tore/dry rotted.)

Greg i'll look in my parts catalog tomorrow i think i can order something that will work for those rubber pieces. I'll let you know.

Well hells yeah! I didn't know you had a parts catalog...oh! You must mean @ work.

If they have anything for the inner rails (those plastic screw cups) as well, I'll take them too! I'm gonna check out the hardware store in the a.m. too. The outer rail holes in the roof are 1/2 inch wide, if that matters. Not sure of the ones for the inner rails, but I could check if you need me to.

I'm pretty sure NAPA makes a rubber grommet with a threaded metal insert in it, just need to see if i can remember which of a couple dozen catalogs i saw them in :doh:

"Those "rubber nuts" is called "well nuts" - they're a rubber surround around a brass threaded insert. The screw is threaded into the insert, then the rubber gets pulled up to surround the plate and fill the hole as the screw is tightened. It doesn't take a whole lot of torque.

IIRC, using #10-24 or #8-32 well nuts will fit neatly into a 1/4" hole - and the holes in the roof should be 1/4". Therefore, buy whatever size well nuts at the local that fit in a 1/4" hole (about fifty cents each) and flat head machine screws to fit (about an inch long) in brass or CRES.

My rackmounts were leaking, I peeled the rack off and got brass pan head screws and well nuts to fill in all of the holes for about six bucks all up. I'll eventually have the holes plug-welded once I get a patch panel cut out to remove the damned sunroof..."

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244739893#post244739893

greg & grimm, about a year & a half ago i had to get a part from the stealership ($80 heater hose!), wasn't happy.
and for my 89 xj the "parts guy" said the grommets run $6 a piece ($6 x 6 = $36)! WTH??? so my roof rack is still only held on by the few that haven't dry rotted.

if grimm can't find them check your local yard (i'm sure there is a jeep there with a rack ;) ) and snag them up , shouldnt cost near as much as from the deealer. the autozone i was using up in PA said they could get them for me... from the dealer!!!

Well nuts! that's right, i knew i had seem them before. they are in the BallKamp body fastener book. I know we make em. thanks stephenspann27 also for the size information.

:cheers:

IIRC, using #10-24 or #8-32 well nuts will fit neatly into a 1/4" hole - and the holes in the roof should be 1/4".

The holes for the outer rails are 1/2 ". Measured 'em myself. 6 per rail. Not sure about the holes on the inner rails. I'll have to check tomorrow a.m. (need to get back in the garage to work on the bike, so the jeep will have to wait till tomorrow.)

Gotta get this wet carpet/water entry sorted out this weekend. My garage is full to the brim with "in progress projects", so the jeep will have to sit outside for a week or so. And I hear they're calling for that wet stuff that falls from the sky in the other 49 states here in CA next week. Since the rear carpet is now out, and if I get this roof rack grommet thing sorted out, and the hatch alignment thang fixed, then I'll have the perfect opportunity to pack all the seams with dry towels or baby powder and let it sit and see where it leaks.

Last edited:
Well....damn.

Got the hatch hinges loosened, and I snugged the hatch tighter. It is now flush with the rear of the body. Looks good. Slid the pin out as far is it would go, and it grabs the catch and hopefully won't rattle the pin now (have to see on that one.) If not, it gets welded. The rubber seal is compressed tighter than it ever has been, so this may help things. I thought I'd have to shim it too in order to keep it from dragging (per Grimm's suggestion) but once I moved the hinges up the body big-time, I didn't need to raise it any. Nice 3/8"-1/2" gap all evenly along the bottom now...no dragging or scuffing of any more bumper paint.

Roof rack: pulled everything off. Tried regular well nuts in the holes for the OUTER two rails, but they won't do the job. The parts that I'm replacing (due to 20+ years on them) are best described as threaded rubber grommets to my eyes. Look like a donut with a horizontal groove in them, which is where the sheet metal roof pops in. Threaded down the center to hold the bolts.

Jeep wants....ALMOST $6 EACH FOR THEM! x 12!

Can't seem to find anyone either online or locally that sells these damn things. Not Home Depot, not any hardware stores, not any automotive stores, not NAPA, not Grainger...no one. Was hoping someone here had some ideas on where to find them.

On the inner smaller rails I tried regular well nuts (had to drill out the holes a little bigger in order to fit them though) and new screws and generous amounts of gasket maker. On all the rails I'm trying regular rubber grommets in the holes in the actual rails as well. I hope these regular well nuts will hold/work/tighten for the smaller inner rails...I'm waiting for the RTV to cure before I try them. If not, I may see if I can get threaded rubber grommets for these smaller holes as well.

Well....damn.
Jeep wants....ALMOST $6 EACH FOR THEM! x 12!

Can't seem to find anyone either online or locally that sells these damn things. Not Home Depot, not any hardware stores, not any automotive stores, not NAPA, not Grainger...no one. Was hoping someone here had some ideas on where to find them.

On the inner smaller rails I tried regular well nuts (had to drill out the holes a little bigger in order to fit them though) and new screws and generous amounts of gasket maker.

short of hittin a local yard... the stealership's got us by the b**** for these things.:flame: i was only goin to replace 3 on each side.... save a few $$ & it'll still be secure. as for the inner rails... i ain't messin with them, they look fine. but since your's (i'm pressuming) didn't, hope what you did works for ya!!! :cheers:

short of hittin a local yard...

Yeah, well they are one time use only. Removing them destroys them. No way (that I can see after just doing 12 of them) that you can get them out of a junker without tearing them in multiple pieces. I emailed teamcherokee.com to get a price from them (not listed on their site) but it's gotta be better than $75+. I'll be damned if I'm paying $75 for fookin' hardware! These damn things should be $5 for a dozen, not nearly $100 for a dozen!

Yeah, well they are one time use only. Removing them destroys them. No way (that I can see after just doing 12 of them) that you can get them out of a junker without tearing them in multiple pieces. I emailed teamcherokee.com to get a price from them (not listed on their site) but it's gotta be better than $75+. I'll be damned if I'm paying $75 for fookin' hardware! These damn things should be $5 for a dozen, not nearly $100 for a dozen!

in a yard ya take a GOOD can-opener type thing & cut the roof to get them out with out rippin them appart lol.

but yeah it is a bit more of a PITA than it's worth. hence why im still missing mine! lmao

cant say i blame ya. i totaly agree $75 a set is a bit outlandish... even for JEEP!:wierd:
let us know what teamcherokee says... maybe give tham some business here. lol:thumbup:

lmao . no pun intended bro, but i had a similar problem... but mine was from rusted out wheel wells. some sheetmetal & pop-rivets... no more water.
no more carpet either :( . so i realy get to hear the tires on the road now.
oh as for water coming in from the well-nut holes.. i have no problems with so far. (note; they are pulled out of the holes in the roof, but still attatched to the rack up there).

anyone have some extra RHINO-LINER they finished with i could get? (i did price that stuff & WOW it's a bit out of my price-range).

Back