• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wet carpet, take 2. AAAARRRRGH!!

I looked at the door seals and didn't see any wear/holes/breaks. To be honest, no one has been in the back seating area for a decade or more, so no seat belt use. I'll throw the hose on it there as well and see.

Are you talking about the plates on the floor behind the rear seat? They are supposed to square off the floor because the floor beneath the plates slopes down. I guess it makes for a bit of added usable cargo room :)

Yep, those are the ones. At first glance when I rolled the carpet back and I saw them and the non-OEM looking screws holding them on, I thought: Hack job by PO.

But I'm with you now: they're OEM, and they do just what you said: level the floor off a bit.

I don't know if mine are still there or not. I got rid of the insulation beneath the carpet when I did a bit of floor repair and I might have tossed them then. Seemed like a nice place for water to build up behind and rot away the floor.

I'll have to return to this "region" again to fix my shock mounts from above.....oh joyus.

I would say it's had issues not-so-successfully addressed by a previous owner. If you pull 'em up, you'll probably find nice holes. My son's '95 had/has major rot in passenger footwell. Plenty of wet carpet, and yes the floor was beat, but the water was coming from above. The previous owner had goobered sealer all over the windshield trim, but the leak was the cowl vent, a seam in the sheetmetal that the factory forgot to seal. A quick swipe of silicone caulk, no more leak. But, the damage was done.
You say you're not driving on wet roads, and keep it in the garage. This may be difficult to diagnose.

Remove cargo liner?

It may come to that. Right now I've got the carpet drying. Here's another half-baked theory:

I've got a 2 gallon red plastic gas can back there, filled with water. Cap is on tight, it's not leaking (I even have it upside down in the garage while I'm yanking the carpet...no leaks.) Long shot to think it's condensation on the can from the cool night temps, then gets thru the liner somehow to the carpet? Thing is, it's still on top of the cargo liner, which has a 2" lip all around, and no water on it at all ever.

Told you it was half-baked...

If I wanted to put down a barrier between the body and the carpet when I button all of this back up, what would you suggest? Clear poly plastic, taped down?

i would tend to lean toward what mojojojo said. im willing to bet it got wet at some point and the moisture soaked into the foam backing on the carpet, and having the liner sitting on top of the carpet is causing it to build up moisture inbetween. leaving the carpet out hanging up to dry for a few days should cure the problem.

i had the same thing happen to me, took a trip out to the desert, hit a big bump and a 2 gallon jug of water blew apart back there. 6 months later the carpet would still puddle under anything i set back there. i ended up ripping it all out and replacing it with some carpet from a junkyard rig.

good luck.

Grimm-
Good advice. I'll take it and see what happens. I did hit it with the hose yesterday really well, and found no leaks.

It's been a month now since I tore the carpet out and let it dry, and reinstalled it. No leaks/no wetness now. Looks like something got it wet 6+ months ago before I bought the cargo liner tray, it soaked thru to the carpet liner (but somehow the carpet itself wasn't wet when I put the cargo liner in...hmmm), and stayed wet. Very odd. Anyhow, yanking the carpet out did the trick.

Hey gang-
Still have wet carpet woes, 6 months later. It's been dry and fine (I check it from time to time to be sure) till about 3 weeks ago when I smelled dampness in the cabin. Reached under the cargo liner, and yep: dripping wet again. Took everything out, let it dry, and re-installed the liner and the stuff I carry on top of it (no liquids.)

Yesterday, same thing. Smelled dampness, and again reached under the mat to find it wet again. Pulled it all out to dry, but I I'm in need of some ideas here. It's garaged, hasn't been washed/hosed in many months, and not driven in the rain. I replaced the rubber molding around the cargo door in july when I was going thru this last time. I can't figure this out....could it be that the rear carpet needs to "breathe" and cannot be covered by the cargo liner? Drill holes in the liner (thus defeating it's catch-all purpose really?) Granted I have a bit of weight on the top of the liner, but it still seems like this should work, right?

I'm stumped. Entertaining all thoughts/opinions at this point.

pull the carpet... at least from the cargo area. Keep it somewhere in case you want to reinstall it if you wish, then have the cargo area done with rubberized coating (cheap in spray cans at parts store) or bedliner or just put the cargo liner in there as is.

Well, this is a great one to follow!
1.) XJ is never driven in the rain.
2.) XJ is always garaged.
3.) XJ is in dry climate of LA.

Most likely reason is that something or somebody is pissing in your Jeep. Do you keep it locked inside the garage?

Well, this is a great one to follow!
1.) XJ is never driven in the rain.
2.) XJ is always garaged.
3.) XJ is in dry climate of LA.

Most likely reason is that something or somebody is pissing in your Jeep. Do you keep it locked inside the garage?

Yeah, huh? I have 3 motorcycles, and commute on them during the week. I take the XJ to scuba dive mostly on the weekends or to pick up something that's too big for the bikes (home depot usually), and rain (which is seldom) = no diving usually. Plus, it only rains here maybe 2 weeks total a year?

No animals. No neighbor kids taking a leak in it that I have caught yet...

wow, strange. If it was exposed to external water, I would guess the roof rack screws were leaking.

Hmmm....I do wash the thing now I then, and had the rook rack off last december for it's first/only full repaint. Never had a problem with this wet carpet before though. You thinking that water's getting in the screw holes where the metal runners screw in? How would I fix that?

Could water get in those from a wash, then run under the headliner without getting it wet, then around the doors (maybe thru the rear pillars somehow?) and to the floor?

I'm intrigued by this thought process? You had this happen? Tell me more...

Yeah, I had this happen to me. Rear screws were leaking down the side onto the cargo area. Yeah, just washing it will do it. There is a rubber seal that disinergrates (sp) and allows water in. Like winterbeater said, you should caulk it up. However regular silicone shouldn't be used on paint, I heard its actually bad for it. I used black gasket maker in a can. I'm almost positive thats whats going on with yours, especially since you removed it recently. Thats exactly what happened with mine. I took it off, put it back on, and it leaked.

Back