• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wet carpet, take 2. AAAARRRRGH!!

There is a rubber seal that disinergrates (sp) and allows water in. I used black gasket maker in a can. I'm almost positive thats whats going on with yours, especially since you removed it recently. Thats exactly what happened with mine. I took it off, put it back on, and it leaked.

Rubber seal? Where? Inside the roof/headliner? Is it replaceable?

Black gasket maker...where'd you find this? Work well for you?

I do remember that each of the screws that hold the runners (the 3 or 4 inner thin strips on the roof that mount with small phillips-head screws, not the larger side rails with the torx-head screws) also had small plastic cone-shaped gaskets that drop into each hole before the screws go in.

I also remember than many of these were broken/stripped/in 2 pieces when the runners went back on.

Did you SEE water running down the sides to the rear cargo area, or just the results of it?

I had a friend use a garden hose, I sat in the back and physically saw the water running down the back pillar from the roof. I even pulled the headliner down a bit and observed it entering. I got the gasket maker at advance auto. Realistically you can use silicone. I did around my winshield and was told after about its reaction with paint.
I don't know where the seals go as all mine were gone, but I was advised by my enlightened friend about them. I just put gasket maker under the rack around the hole, and on top of the rack around the hole. I literally just did this the other day and we haven't had any wet weather yet, so I'm not sure if it works, but I'm sure it did.

I just put gasket maker under the rack around the hole, and on top of the rack around the hole.

OK. Make a sandwich out of the black metal runner, with gasket maker on each side. Screw goes back in thru gasket maker. Got it. I'll check advance auto...you got a brand name on that sealant you used (in case you still have some lying around and can check)?

Update: I yanked up the rear carpet just now, and even though it's dry on the top part, the padding on the underside is still wet. Damn it.

Haven't done the roof rack hole sealing yet, though I bought the gasket material today. Also noticed this, and wanted to run this thought by you guys:

The rear latch (which is at eye level when the hatch is open) is very rusted. Also, the rear pin and the plate (with the two T-40 bolts in it that won't come out right now...broke two T-40 sockets within the past hour, trying to loosen them) where the latch catches to close/lock the rear deck is rusted as well. I've opened the rear hatch on many occasions and seen water pooling at that pin/plate. Happens every time I wash it basically. Dry it off, open hatch. Soak up standing water from around the pin.

There are no clean lines where water has run down on either inner metal rear wheel well. Still very dusty on both of them after pulling up the carpet. I would have thought that if the water was coming in the roof rack holes, it would have run down the inner wheel wells and left lines in the dust. Didn't see any. In fact, the carpet (both sides) that sits on the inner wheel wells is completely dry. Hasn't been wet at all. And believe me, if it had been wet, you'd know it. It's a different color where the water has been. And smell. The carpet on both wheel wells is still dry & clean.

So...I wondering if somehow the water could run around the rear hatch and collect at the pin in the little recession when the catch grabs the pin. Then maybe leak around the pin, under the plastic rear hatch bottom molding, and to the carpet. The carpet is wet from the rear door to where the rear seat pegs go into the body. Wouldn't the gasket on the rear door channel water around to the pin to collect? Anyone else finding their pin/plate/catch are rusty from sitting in water?

Last edited:
I just put gasket maker under the rack around the hole, and on top of the rack around the hole.

Did you do this to ALL the roof rack runner screws (the 2 outer larger runners that hold the crossbars & mount with torx bolts AND the 4 small inner runners that mount with phillips screws and don't support anything)?

water could be coming in around the rear window seal and runnin down the inside of the hatch, then out through the latch... or it could be coming in around the rubber seal where the wiring for the 3rd brake light and rear wiper enter the hatch.

just a thought. where in socal are you?

water could be coming in around the rear window seal and runnin down the inside of the hatch, then out through the latch... or it could be coming in around the rubber seal where the wiring for the 3rd brake light and rear wiper enter the hatch.

Well I don't have a 3rd brake light (88 model) but I'm interested in your "window rubber seal" idea. I've noticed that when I slam the hatch closed the rear window does shake a bit. Loose, really.

The rubber around the rear wiper arm is a year old. Replaced it last year when I pulled it off for the re-painting. Had to. It broke apart in my hands due to 20 years in the sun.

You're think' the water runs THROUGH the inside of the rear hatch somewhere, then right out @ the latch @ the bottom, hence the rusted catch/pin/plate? I'm guessing (since I can't get the pin plate T-40 bolts out yet all I can DO is guess) that water could easily get from around the recessed pin to under the carpet fairly easily? Probably could wash/roll right under the carpet at the first light/stop sign braking? Hell...I live at the top of a canyon! My first mile is nearly straight down, uninterrupted, no gas, 100% hard braking anyhow! It wouldn't take much to get water rolling under the carpet towards the front (the same pattern it's wet now).

Hmmmmm.....I AM intrigued...

i doubt the water is running forward from that area, there isnt much room for it to collect back there. if I were you I would pull the carpet, and stick dry towels in a perimeter around the back of the jeep. check them periodically and depending on which one gets wet first it should tell you where the water is getting in. that might give you a better idea of where to start looking.

I had the rear quarter pocket on both sides fill with water, drains got plugged. And it would just sit in there and fog up my windows, rear carpet always wet, I also found leaks at the seam where the roof meets the gate, near the hinges, cracks in the factory sea sealer were allowing water to run down the drip rails and enter into the cracks and end up inside the jeep. And yes both my 89 and 91 have ruster rear latch plates.

I had the rear quarter pocket on both sides fill with water, drains got plugged. And it would just sit in there and fog up my windows, rear carpet always wet, I also found leaks at the seam where the roof meets the gate, near the hinges, cracks in the factory sea sealer were allowing water to run down the drip rails and enter into the cracks and end up inside the jeep. And yes both my 89 and 91 have ruster rear latch plates.

I saw those plugs. Did you just pull yours out?

Not sure where the seam you speak of is located. In the half-inch gap between the roof and the hatch when viewed from above?

I took fotos of the rear hinges that I have hanging over the lip a bit. They are not square on the small plates that are attached to the roof. This can't possibly be OK, right?

Also took fotos of the underside edge of the lift gate. Had it painted recently, and it's already wearing off again (shown as the white area where the paint is missing.)

Any ideas if these two things are bad enough to fix, and how to go about it, or if they may be contributing to the problem with the carpet?

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Update: I yanked up the rear carpet just now, and even though it's dry on the top part, the padding on the underside is still wet. Damn it.

Haven't done the roof rack hole sealing yet, though I bought the gasket material today. Also noticed this, and wanted to run this thought by you guys:

The rear latch (which is at eye level when the hatch is open) is very rusted. Also, the rear pin and the plate (with the two T-40 bolts in it that won't come out right now...broke two T-40 sockets within the past hour, trying to loosen them) where the latch catches to close/lock the rear deck is rusted as well. I've opened the rear hatch on many occasions and seen water pooling at that pin/plate. Happens every time I wash it basically. Dry it off, open hatch. Soak up standing water from around the pin.

There are no clean lines where water has run down on either inner metal rear wheel well. Still very dusty on both of them after pulling up the carpet. I would have thought that if the water was coming in the roof rack holes, it would have run down the inner wheel wells and left lines in the dust. Didn't see any. In fact, the carpet (both sides) that sits on the inner wheel wells is completely dry. Hasn't been wet at all. And believe me, if it had been wet, you'd know it. It's a different color where the water has been. And smell. The carpet on both wheel wells is still dry & clean.

So...I wondering if somehow the water could run around the rear hatch and collect at the pin in the little recession when the catch grabs the pin. Then maybe leak around the pin, under the plastic rear hatch bottom molding, and to the carpet. The carpet is wet from the rear door to where the rear seat pegs go into the body. Wouldn't the gasket on the rear door channel water around to the pin to collect? Anyone else finding their pin/plate/catch are rusty from sitting in water?

Buy some good quality hardened torx sockets that have a lifetime warranty.. I got tired of replacing my cheap ones.. after they would "strip" I would grind the tip down and get a few more uses out of them.

Buy some good quality hardened torx sockets that have a lifetime warranty.. I got tired of replacing my cheap ones.. after they would "strip" I would grind the tip down and get a few more uses out of them.

Well, I went thru 2 new craftsman ones in an hour and they had a lifetime warranty. Didn't get a chance to round the tips....they both broke off in the bolt head.... had to use a magnet to get the broken pieces out each time...guess I'll try something different tomorrow.

i did not read all the reply's but here is my idea! you have a rear window wiper and there for it also has a sprayer? follow and check that line from your resivior to the hatch, im not sure exactly how it runs through the walls or under the body but its worth a look bro! good luck TJ

did ya try the wet it and watch trick? get in side and have your sweetie wet it for ya, prob best to pull all upper and lower inside panals ya can 1st,

Well, I went thru 2 new craftsman ones in an hour and they had a lifetime warranty. Didn't get a chance to round the tips....they both broke off in the bolt head.... had to use a magnet to get the broken pieces out each time...guess I'll try something different tomorrow.

I got some from O'Reilly for like $32 that are like.. hardened tool steel.. or forged or something.. they are pretty stout..

3rd time was the charm on the craftman T-40 socket today. I drove the XJ over there this time and loosened the pin latch in the parking lot to save me the 3rd trip back if it broke again. Noticed that the latch pin shakes a lot. I suppose it's not supposed to wiggle like it does...probably the noise I've been hearing when I drive lately. Any harm in welding the pin to keep it from wiggling?

Still got the portable heater drying out the backside of the carpet. Any thoughts on some sort of spray to kill any mold that might be on there, and where to get it?

Any thoughts on whether my latch hinges at the top are all wrong or not? From the missing bit of paint on the underside of the hatch, I'd think the hatch is misaligned somehow. Do any of your latch hinges look like mine, shifted off the base plates like mine are? Any way to fix this? I've never had the hatch off...I suppose it weighs a ton and would be a 2 person job to R&R?

i did not read all the reply's but here is my idea! you have a rear window wiper and there for it also has a sprayer? follow and check that line from your resivior to the hatch, im not sure exactly how it runs through the walls or under the body but its worth a look bro! good luck TJ

The rear wiper washer reservoir pulls from the same tank as the front wipers? Shite, that's a hell of a long hose then. I suppose it could be cut or worn after 20+ years...never seen it before. I suppose it runs above the headliner? Haven't seen it on the body anywhere yet....

it looks to me like the hatch was removed when you had the jeep painted and not put back on correctly.

the washer hose runs along the floor on the passenger side, and comes up behind the tail light, up to the roof, and enters the hatch there.

Well, Greg just left my place, it looks to me like the hatch is misaligned. can someone take a pic of how thier hatch lines up at the hinges? my XJ is 100 miles away and it doesnt have a hatch on it anyway :D im just looking for a reference as to how much of the hinge hangs over the body.

Back