• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo Jeep Cherokee XJ-R Build

Intercooler pipes are almost done. There are a few tight bends due to space and available materials but it should still flow way better then our old setup.

10424226085_b333f54cc2.jpg

10424230625_35ea7348a3.jpg

10424356723_e269d421ca.jpg

10424177594_40ae121840.jpg

10424171194_35abd3840b.jpg

Finally got around to taking pictures of the hot side. It's a tight fit around the suspension but so far nothing hits. Pictures actually make it look closer then it really is and that hose hitting the pipe was moved once it was actually hooked up again.

10660232976_56e90f501e.jpg

10660425243_05feaeb4d8.jpg

10660419993_06acb1b79d.jpg

10660182135_172e6154e3.jpg

Last edited:
are u still using factory coils springs? how much did u cut them down so the jeep sits out it does in the picture? also are u still running the doubled up cherokee rear leaf pack?

We’re using a 3” lift spring in the front that we cut down. Its something we had kicking around that happen to have a thicker wire diameter then the stock spring. Not sure how many coils we cut out but its about 4 inches lower with a spring rate of around 380 lbs/in. We did have to cut off the stock bumpstop tower too.

Rear springs are doubled up but we removed 1-2 leafs and ditched the rear swaybar because it was too firm in the back picking up a rear wheel in turns.

okay cool, do u know is that was a Rubicon express spring? sounds like it was as just based on what the projected spring rate is. I wanna build a drag/road course jeep like this and had a few ideas that ive got rolling around in my head. this helps a lot thou.

Yes, we are running MS1 with the 3.0 board. Its a complete stand alone computer controlling fuel and spark for under $200. Currently we are running around 7 psi but have had it up to 12-13 psi with the new intercooler. As far as power we did rush to try and get it on a dyno last year but found we had a big boost leak. We were hit 6 psi then tapered down to 4 by redline. Even so we made 201hp/263tq at the wheels. Another issue we had on the dyno is we could only do WOT pulls after 3000 RPMs or the trans would kick down a gear. We have since sorted out a few issues so hopefully this spring when the snow melts off the XJ-R we'll get it back on the dyno.

Incase anyone wants to megasquirt a 91-95 Cherokee I came up with this pinout. This is for use with a 91-93 distributor and a 6 vane shutter wheel:

Jeep%2520MegaSquirt%2520Pinout.jpg

The k-car in the back ground is now known as the Scaries and actually came in first last year. Pat and the guys have done an amazing job wit the car and you should see it now. If you have time check out their build thread.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?51514-Pat-s-GRM-ScAries!

The BMW Isetta has custom control arms mounted to the factory suspension points and a mazda rotory engine in the passenger seat. It defiantly bent the rules a little but I love seeing stuff like that show up as long as its within budget.

Oh and the red Miata in the background is mine. It was a challenge car from 2009-2011 and has placed as high as 4th over all. I miss that car.

Thank you so much for that copy of the pinout. I will most certainly be mega squirting my 95 here at some point. That should help lots.

I was going over some data logs after we upgraded the intercooler. With the outside temp around 75F coolant temp never got above 187F. We are running a 180 thermostat and have the fans programmed to kick on at 170F. Now the Jeep never sits in traffic or on a trail getting heat soaked but so far the intercooler blocking the radiator has not been a problem.

How the hell did I never know you guys are in northeast MA? Just saw the article on BangShift, congrats.

Is that Lawrence Municipal that the autocross was at? We run occasional drive/fly tests for work up there once in a while.

edit: oh, and I know where you can get a 2wd AX15 this Saturday for $100-130 if you feel like heading for Worcester, I'll help pull it. Assuming the Dodge it's in hasn't been crushed already. You'll need to slap a 4.0 bellhousing on it and possibly use the slip yoke that comes with it instead of a regular XJ one, but that's about the only difference.

Last edited:
The bangshift guys did an awesome job and were great to hang out. We never realized they were local and I’m surprised we have never run into each other before. I’m glad they took the time to check out the Jeep and take some awesome pictures.

Yeah, our team is spread out though eastern MA and part of NH. Normally we autocross at Fort Devens in Ayer MA

kastein- I’m going to pass on the 2WD AX15 for now. I’d love to run a manual but I just don’t have the time or extra money right now but I appreciate the offer.

The bangshift guys did an awesome job and were great to hang out. We never realized they were local and I’m surprised we have never run into each other before. I’m glad they took the time to check out the Jeep and take some awesome pictures.

Yeah, our team is spread out though eastern MA and part of NH. Normally we autocross at Fort Devens in Ayer MA

kastein- I’m going to pass on the 2WD AX15 for now. I’d love to run a manual but I just don’t have the time or extra money right now but I appreciate the offer.

No worries, just happened to see it at the JY I frequent while looking for a 4x4 AX15 and figured you might be interested.

Here is our MS1 spark map we are running on our Turbo Jeep 4.0L. I know it’s not perfect and everyone’s setup is different but it might be helpful for someone looking for a base map to start with.

11999878635_16e748b670_o.jpg

^Very nice!

Would you be opposed to uploading your files as a base tune for those of use that want to follow in your footsteps? If you don't want to, I completely understand.

Also, how much would you want for that used rear sway bar? My stock one likes to pretend it is spaghetti. I was going to try my stock one out of my 08 A4 (16mm), but I dont think she is going to fit well.

Back