• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo Jeep Cherokee XJ-R Build

crap! I was just there tonight too. lol Oh well, i need to go back and return some stuff anyways.

hey i just started following this thread. i was wondering were u got leaf spring plate/shock tie???? im not by any means looking to copy your build. but i was planning to use it as a loose blue print for the suspesion setup you got. i really like the look of a lowered XJ.

hey i just started following this thread. i was wondering were u got leaf spring plate/shock tie???? im not by any means looking to copy your build. but i was planning to use it as a loose blue print for the suspesion setup you got. i really like the look of a lowered XJ.

It's a factory plate with a custom shock mount welded to it.

ok so even with the spring under set up would my stock shock mounts still work? im lookin to build a good DD. W/O dumpin a crap ton of cash ( that i dont have) into it.

By looking at the rear shock/spring perch, couldn't you just flip them to the other sides?
That's what I may look into.
I've joined just to learn from this project BUT, use either a old 283 with Vortec heads/200r4 or a 5.7 LT-1/4L60e from a Roadmaster (low mileage).
easiest would be the carb'd for me (hate wiring)

One thing I need to ask is I'll be using it for street/daily driving.
Once the front axle is bent, what degree should be used?
Is 5deg too much for every day driving?
Also, what about 'pie cutting' the tube between the control arms and the spindle instead of the center of axle tube? I have my idea's but would like to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks and GREAT BUILD! I'll be asking lots more

E

Yes, you can cut the mounts off and reweld them onto the other side. Then figure out where you want to mount the shocks.

If you want some more camber you can use offset upper and lower ball joints to gain up to 2 degrees of negative camber. For the street I'd run less, maybe 1.5 degrees? Reason we bent the axle was that it didn't cost us anything and this was a budget build. The 5 degree cut equals 2.5 degrees of camber per side. You could cut each side near the spindle if you wanted.

Was "yardin" and took a look under a Grand Cherokee and noticed the upper spring isolators and it looks like Older GM coils will work.
The Grands don't have the little 'pig tale' on top, they just flatten out.
So next time I get back there, I'll try and grab some or I can just bring a spring with me to the parts store and check them out.
It may help others on a budget if they don't want to buy new springs just to cut them.

This build/thread is very impressive, and gets me motivated.

Thanks. E

Went through the thread again. Did not see any images for the original DSM intercooler.... Did you ever take pictures? If not, where was it mounted?

Thank you
Jason

Looks like some of the old links are dead. The DSM intercooler was tiny with poor air flow and was a band-aid till we could come up with a better solution. Still it was better then nothing and did drop intake temps with low boost.

IMAG0489.jpg
IMAG0634.jpg
IMAG0642.jpg

How is the AMC build coming? I just asked on the GRM forum thread, but who knows whether people get notified of postings from the various forums.

I'm just re-re-building a 4.0 engine (long story), and I was curious how well they can stand up to some more serious boost if you can use a more effective intercooler and/or water/methanol injection? I loves me some MegaSquirt, so engine control isn't a problem.

Didn't get a chance to work on the AMC last year as our team has been too busy racing lemons. Instead I've been collecting parts and hope to get it up and going this year. It still needs a transmission, new driver seat (broke during a second gear pull), and the ford 8.8 install. Also want to go with 3" exhaust and bigger injectors.

I don't have many miles on the build so I can't give you any long term results but the MLS headgasket is holding up to 16 psi from the 60 trim T3/T4. Stock one on the XJ-R let go over 12 psi.

So I'm finally installing my Explorer 8.8 in my XJ. Spring under as well. You mention the rears are 15x10 with 4" backspacing. Do you think you'd be able to get away with more backspacing? I'm running a 275/60/15 MT ET radial, and am wanting to get them as tucked as possible (moreso than what the XJ-R). Any pics you may have of inner tire clearance on the rear would also be appreciated.

Keep in mind the only cornering my XJ makes is the right 180* at the end of the 1/4 mile :-D

Debo, you are going to start running into the inner fender. Even just going straight there is going to be a lot of tire movement with drag slicks. You may need to modify that inner fender to tuck a 275

Just out of curiousity, what kind of drag vehicle look are you going for Debo? With the right tire on the back and reasonable, but not rubbing offset, it could have a bit of a Gasser look to it, especially on a 2wd!

Inner fender shouldn't be the issue, at least on my SUA 8.8 setup, the inside sidewall will hit the leaf before the sheet metal. That's with a 265/40/20 on 20x9 SRT8 wheels

Just out of curiousity, what kind of drag vehicle look are you going for Debo? With the right tire on the back and reasonable, but not rubbing offset, it could have a bit of a Gasser look to it, especially on a 2wd!

Definitely not going for a gasser look. I need to get the front as low as i possibly can to help the Coefficient of Drag. These things are like driving a refrigerator box... especially at the speeds i should be traveling with over 600hp.lol

I measured and i think i can fit a 5" backspacing on the rear. The 275/60/15's dont have too much sidewall bubble on a 10" rim, so im probably going to start there, and if i have to run a little 1/4" or less spacer i can

Back