• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo Jeep Cherokee XJ-R Build

NICE!

Thanks guys, I still can't believe they put it on the cover and immediately regret not painting the wheels 2 years ago since they used an older photo.

Don't worry about it. As an OCD car guy I didn't even notice and I had the mag in my hands.

Last edited:
Oh the AMC Spirit? That's going to be our next GRM Challenge car. We've been trying to find another cheap 2 door 2WD Cherokee to do Chump Car or Lemons but have haven't had any luck. Ended up finding the Spirit on CL with an add that said "need it gone today". Long story short I sent my teammate to go check it out at 9:30 pm and he bought it for $500.

Now we are trying to figure out what to do with it. We think its too nice to for wheel to wheel racing like Lemons so instead we are going to build another $2000 vehicle. So far we've joked about trying to run 11's with another turbo 6. I'd like to put together a dirtball 4.5L stroker but a stock 4.0L might be the way to go budget wise

Drivers side is not pretty and the A pillar has been cut out and replaced for some reason, my guess is a tree branch fell on it and the fender. Only thing we've done so far is test fitting some tires we had kicking around. With the right offset and some trimming in the front 295's will fit all around.

12290948513_2a06a9714e_z.jpg

12290777835_ef71634537_z.jpg

12290773485_b2ef4042a7_z.jpg

If you ever find a gremmy in that condition, let me know. I had two of them. I miss them. :)

So Sunday didn’t go as planed. Jeep made one run and was black flagged for being over the sound limit and was also leaking coolant from the radiator cap (radiator and cap are new). Now to try and get under the sound limit we decided to lower boost and run just wastegage pressure. Didn’t think it would work but it was worth a shot. Anyway I’m not exactly sure what happened, either the vacuum line slipped off or was hooked up to the wrong port but we ran all the boost. Halfway through our next run big cloud of steam came out from under the hood and from the tailpipe. Jeep limped to the side of the course and left a trail of coolant. Before we shut it off it was running rough and had a miss. Best case we popped a head gasket. Instead of pulling plugs or trying to mess with it we ended up just quad driving our lemons/chump 280z and loaded the jeep up on the trailer.

Now we’ve always had cooling problems with the Jeep even when it was stock. Every time we flushed it the coolant is rusty brown. We’re placed the water pumps, thermostats, radiators, and installed a fresh felpro HD MLS headgasket. We’ve always had a suspicion the block or head was cracked but never cared since this thing should have blown up 5 years ago. Oh well, we’ll get it patched up and back out racing soon.

That sucks, wishing you guys the very best to get this sorted out...

Video of our first any only run from our last autocross. Jeep was a little twitchy as Dave got use to the 75 hp bump from the last time we had it out.

Last edited:
Back