• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo Jeep Cherokee XJ-R Build

You don't need the $100 RADesign shifter if you don't want to spend the money.
You only need 3 switches.
1-DPDT on-on to switch between 'auto' and 'manual/switch' shifting
1-SPDT on-on to switch on or off 12v to solenoid #1
1-SPDT on-on to switch on or off 12v to solenoid #2
Then it follows just like the switches described by RADesigns.
1st gear-switch for sol#1 ON and switch for solenoid #2 OFF
2nd gear-switch for sol#1 ON and switch for solenoid #2 ON
3rd gear-switch for sol#1 OFF and switch for solenoid #2 ON
4th gear-switch for sol#1 OFF and switch for solenoid #2 OFF

To dyno it- just put it in D, flip the 'auto/manual' switch to manual, flip both switches ON. You will be in second gear. Nail it 1000-5000rpm.

To drag it- just put it in D, flip the 'auto/manual' switch to manual,
then 1st switch ON, 2nd OFF and foot on the brake- you are in first gear, Hammer it!
Flip the 2nd switch ON and you shift into second gear,
Flip the 1st switch OFF and you shift into third gear,
Flip the 2nd switch OFF and you shift into fourth gear and cross the finish line.
Now flip the 'auto/manual' switch to auto and drive back to the pits just like the usual auto works under the TCU control.

I like this idea. Our team mate Dave looked into building a paddle shifter but this sounds much easier.

This thing's pretty sweet. I know it's not most people's cup of tea around here, but I appreciate the ingenuity! Hope you guys keep posting details on this rig.

Thanks, we have been getting a lot of great feed back. Honestly I'm surprised at how many people like the Jeep. We built it to make ourselves laugh and to do something different and crazy. If you guys happen to enjoy it too that's even better.

Here are some videos from the 2012 GRM Challenge

You should bring it to the 30th celebration in Moab this fall. Trade autocross rides for offroad rides. :) It's a cool ride, you'd have lots of fans.

Thanks guys, here are 2 more pictures. The first one you might recognize from the 2013 Grassroots Motorsports Calendar for the month of December. The second one was taken by eBay motors at the Challenge.

jeep-awesome_1.jpg

3%2520wheel.jpg

I was going to wait till we made some new dyno pulls since we fixed the boost leak but here are our numbers from last year. For this graph we could only do WOT pulls from around 3,000 RPMs on or else the transmission would downshift. It’s kind of annoying since we start building boost by 1,700 RPMs. With the boost leak we hit 6.5 psi at peak torque but it tapered back down to 3.5 psi by redline.

IMAG0652.jpg

I joined the forum at ForzaMotorsport.net recently and somebody started a thread about your truck last night!

Ha, that's great! If possible can you add a post with a link to our Facebook page or this build thread? I'm horrible at keeping people informed about the Jeep and can use all the help I can get.

Just got the latest Grass Roots Motorsports... you guys are in there again (of course).

:)

It's builds like this that have made me waiver on buying a turn key track toy and start thinking about building a tube frame something or other out of Jeep parts.

that is awesome! I autocross a RX7 and often wondered what a XJ would be like since I have a shell and 2wd tranny but with a rotary and 5 speed for less weight. That thing is sick, keep on ripping it up!

Back