• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Subwoofer Systems!!

response time is quicker in a sealed box, regardless of the motor structure or subwoofer size. Playing a bass guitar does not demand the same response as reproducing low frequency sounds from a different source, ie. digital.

as far as tuning goes, you can tune an enclosure by varying air space, dimensions, port lengths, locations, and diameters. tuning an enclosure for a musical instrument is a whole different world and is not similar to a sub enclosure. I do agree too many people buy any sub and prefab enclosure based on the wrong criteria.

the_cheif said:
response time is quicker in a sealed box, regardless of the motor structure or subwoofer size. Playing a bass guitar does not demand the same response as reproducing low frequency sounds from a different source, ie. digital.
I couldn't disagree more.

the_cheif said:
as far as tuning goes, you can tune an enclosure by varying air space, dimensions, port lengths, locations, and diameters. .
That's true.

the_cheif said:
tuning an enclosure for a musical instrument is a whole different world and is not similar to a sub enclosure.
Nope, I have to disagree, its exactly the same. Do you have actual experience with both?

Tuning an instrument that requires air requires you to change the shape of your throat and toung. So yea, I guess it is kinda like tuning subs.

xjj33p3r said:
Tuning an instrument that requires air requires you to change the shape of your throat and toung. So yea, I guess it is kinda like tuning subs.
Yep. Without going into pompous detail, a ported cabinet must be tuned to the speaker, so that when the speaker is functioning it does not cancel out its own sound waves. If it is not tuned properly, the sound waves that emerge from the port will be somewhat out of phase with what is emerging from the front of the speaker, and they will cancel each other out. It still sounds bassy, but not as clear and punchy as when they are tuned together. Simple acoustics theory, applies to all sound applications across the board.
Beej.

quote: "i've got 6x9s in the rear hatch....5 1/4 in all four doors......3" in the dash, and working on kick pannels with 6" midrange and 1.5" tweets
all work (design, build, & install) is all done by me...no one does anything to my jeep but me....*grins*" :end quote
hmmmmm. first off I cant say much for VISONIK stuff. Personally I steer away from anything audio that can be had at Walmart. So, you have the subs runnin off the amp, fine - as for the rest, as in speakers, are they ALL running off the deck?? is the 3" sopposed to be a center channel? Interesting. If you are going for show, I would suggest you hide those wires and not bring a manufactured box to a show- they don't like them. As for the kicks- congrads look at mine and if you want it, I'll post some tips. I would love to post my sub setup now- but I'm not, I hate posting things that are not completed yet- soon though. And, the box is pretty much done with 2 15" L7's dvc 2 ohm config in a shared 7ft3 ported mdf/fiberglass box. Sanding is a pain in the ass so as soon as I get that done and get it painted to match the front I'll let ya know.
-Got any sound-deadening material in there?
- in case you havent seen my kicks... http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/482928
I'd love to help anyone if they are interested in using fiberglass or any custom audio techniques - heck If you're close, I'll even drive over.

my system:
jvc el kameleon head unit
sony xplod 5.25" 3-ways all around
bazooka 500w mono amp
2 bazooka 10" subs
all 0 gauge speaker wire

i didnt build my jeep for the system, i just wanted something that sounded good and was fairly cheap.

437678_50_full.jpg

437678_49_full.jpg

437678_7_full.jpg

head unit on
437678_10_full.jpg

head unit off
437678_5_full.jpg

dothedew24_7 said:
quote: "i've got 6x9s in the rear hatch....5 1/4 in all four doors......3" in the dash, and working on kick pannels with 6" midrange and 1.5" tweets
all work (design, build, & install) is all done by me...no one does anything to my jeep but me....*grins*" :end quote
hmmmmm. first off I cant say much for VISONIK stuff. Personally I steer away from anything audio that can be had at Walmart. So, you have the subs runnin off the amp, fine - as for the rest, as in speakers, are they ALL running off the deck?? is the 3" sopposed to be a center channel? Interesting. If you are going for show, I would suggest you hide those wires and not bring a manufactured box to a show- they don't like them. As for the kicks- congrads look at mine and if you want it, I'll post some tips. I would love to post my sub setup now- but I'm not, I hate posting things that are not completed yet- soon though. And, the box is pretty much done with 2 15" L7's dvc 2 ohm config in a shared 7ft3 ported mdf/fiberglass box. Sanding is a pain in the ass so as soon as I get that done and get it painted to match the front I'll let ya know.
-Got any sound-deadening material in there?
- in case you havent seen my kicks... http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/482928
I'd love to help anyone if they are interested in using fiberglass or any custom audio techniques - heck If you're close, I'll even drive over.

Visonik isn't walmart i dunno what walmart you've been shopping at, lightning audio is the walmart stuff(even tho it's made by Rockford Fosgate)...Visonik is German actually....holds 2 world records as well....i picked them cause 1-biggest bang for the buck....they are exceptional quality speakers and amps... 2-the appearance and 3-hookups i've got with sponsors and stuff....
yes, saddly, right now all the components are running off the deck....but my next project is to end that...getting 2 flush-mount amps to put in the floor boards at the rear seats....thinking right now, going to cut the floors out....fab a box for the amp that mounts under the hole, so that the amp is level with the existing floor...and clean up the edges with diamond stamped aluminum...maybe put some plexiglass over the amps so the don't get effed to hell by rear passenger's feet...right now all my floors (all 4 seats) and door jams are Mirrored Chrome diamond stamped aluminum...so thats why i'ma probly trim the edges of the amp "holes" with that.
the 3" are the stocks that are in the underside of the dash in those little vent/grill looking things
all wires are hidden throughout the entire set up excpet right there at the amp and Cap. with exception of the speaker wires coming from the amp to the box....when th ebakc seat is up theres kinda no where to run the wires...there is about a 5" gap from amp to box....and if i tried to run the wires back under and through carpet i couldn't put the rear seat down (it's down in the pictures)

there aren't any sub pictures on your page (unless i'm stoopid and missed it...) yea...100% manufactured box....i got it to start from...ima do some stuff to it....i hate the speakers that are in it....wimpy little 48 oz. magnets...box is supposed to be rated at 1600watts.....but the 1400w. amp (at half gain) distorts the box out pretty quick on really deep hits at a louder volume...
i have the sound deadening stuff....i've got the side panels in the back foamed up (between outter walls and the inner plastic panels)....i dunno that i need it that bad...i guess i'll know after i put it all in...lol.....all the door lock rods inside the doors rattle like hell too...but thats about it for extra noise...especially in the back hatch.....

i'm not the most knowledged on stereos and whatnot, but i feel pretty confident in what i do know....i've just been doing LOADS of research..and asking questions, watching/learning for about the past two years to know what i do know now....and i usually pick up on things and figure it all out really quick...i'm only 18..so gimmy that much...lol...

if you or anyone else has any input.....it shall be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
thats been my biggest prob is tha darn lock rods. And I explained why I didnt have any sub pics up yet.
I give you an A - at least you have a game plan, and are willing to do the work:thumbup:
- o and my Wal-nut has visionik, blitz, lightning, and the average pioneer, sony, blah blah blah, theve even had a bazooka bass tube once in a while

i bought pioneer door speakers for my old jeep at wal-mart because they were the cheapest. when i was looking at my 94xj i was checking out hte speakers and when i took the cover off they fell apart. i figured it was about time for new ones

i have two tin cans attached to a string...but they're not just any tin cans, i got em from spaghettio's (yeah thats right teflon coated).
the coolest part is the bass i get from the exhaust which, get this, doubles as a bass tube. i drileed some holes in the cat to make it thump more.
sometimes the windshield pops out if i forget to roll down the windows.
if yo fade the EQ to hig freq.....dogs come running from miles away...
just kidding, i'm just jealouse cuz my shzit is bone stock.
lol

biscuitboy87 said:
my shzit is bone stock.

lol
head units are cheap... they plug right in too...

swap out the string to a braided rope and you will be amazed and the difference in quality

a0_1.JPG

I'm running a Kenwood X959 head unit patched to two directed audio amps.

97_1.JPG

One DA500 (75Wx4 RMS @4ohm) class AB (2ohm capable) and one 600D (275Wx1 RMS @4 ohm) Class D sub amp (1ohm stable).

The main speakers are Infinity 5.25s and the sub is an Infinity 10" in a JL Custom fit XJ sealed enclosure.

The head unit controls a Sirius tuner and a Weather band tuner. The amps are hidden in a floor enclosure in the cargo area and are cooled with a thermostatically controlled stinger fan.

When the roll cage goes in the JL enclosure will be replace by a custom built box holding two Infinity 10" subs, the amps, and most of my usual trail spares and tools.

As for wheeling, I guess you could say I do a bit more than mall cruising
GS_GC1-vi.jpg

139-vi.jpg

Bones :skull1:

Back