• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo box idea

Sounds like computer racking slides and also sounds expecsive for what they are

Let me clarify....The guides I found are made for heavy duty industrial applications (they have 100#, 300#, and 500# rated guides). The 32" extended I refered to is the amount of linear travel, specs are; 33" closed length, 65" open length.

I install computer and telephone infrastructure for a living and I am quite familar with Antec, Chatsworth, Blonder Tongue, even Dell. And IMHO these components are not up to snuff nor do they extend far enough for my needs. When I designed and measured out the back of my XJ, I wanted to maximize the use of all available space and that is why I needed 32" travel guides so the drawer can slide ALL the way out and double as a bench/work table.

Fergie said:
Of course not. It has the extra weight of the particle board cover, my tow strap, and receiver shackle to hold it down.

Since I can't be sure whether you are being sarcastic or really don't understand or both I am going to say this for anyone who may be taking ideas from this thread.....

Particle board shatters easily. This means that unless you have the area your threaded rod goes into reinforced with a lot more than just a washer the rod is going to pull right out in an accident and the tire stands a good chance of nailing you in the back of the head. Even if it seems strong enough today particle board weakens over time, especially in an environment that is exposed to humidity.

Chris S said:
Since I can't be sure whether you are being sarcastic or really don't understand or both I am going to say this for anyone who may be taking ideas from this thread.....

Particle board shatters easily. This means that unless you have the area your threaded rod goes into reinforced with a lot more than just a washer the rod is going to pull right out in an accident and the tire stands a good chance of nailing you in the back of the head. Even if it seems strong enough today particle board weakens over time, especially in an environment that is exposed to humidity.
Well, the humidity thing wont be a big deal as I live in AZ, so we go from 1% to 80%, and that is only during storms.

The rod has a 3"x3" plate welded to the bottom of it, and comes through the bottom of the board. Then, it has a fender washer and nut on top of the shelf unit part to keep the rod from falling back through.

I feel it is plenty safe, and if it is ever a concern, then I'll make a better mounting point.

Good points for those that are reading though.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Its teal, ass....looks red to me though:gee:

Good one, ass, but I'm all outta Rock Rash. So here's a gold star for you. :star:

I recommend putting some kind of rubber flooring material to cover those of you that do wood storage trunks. Carpet looks nice, but with some rubber matting from Lowe's you can get it all muddy and wet and dirty and just wipe it off, rather than the carpet getting nasty. It's pretty cheap, about $3 for 3'x3' sections. Just sticky adhesive keeps it in place. Wish I had pics of mine.

And would everybody on these forums please stop yelling at each other? We're all fellow jeepers and XJers just trying to help each other out here, right?

Chris

XJ_ranger said:
hmmm

banned? for a sticker? thats some pretty rough talk for a non-member with only 23 posts...

note the red jeep has one too...

Someone has been taking a beating over that REMARK...;)

BTW guys...for all you who posted your boxes...Thanks. The hard work for me is DONE!

Junkxj: My drawer slides can be purchased for $15 per pair at Home Depot and Lowes. They extend 28" IIRC. And can hold 100lbs per pair.

Fergie: The hold downs are trap door handles purchased at Home Depot. Beefy enough to keep my spare in place if I go armored side up.

Mine is bolted down to the floor in 4 spots two in the front and one on each side.

Thanks for all your kind words.
Hans

this may be dumb nut why not make the top piece of the box extend over (like a 2nd floor) to inside the side pockets in the plastic. then on the driver side you could make an bracket that goes in your stock sp[are holder.

I thought of that but decided that it would be very tough to cut correctly and then hard to get in. I just use the sides as pockets, very handy.

XJourney said:
Well since it is show and tell. Here is my best effort. Still need to carpet the top to keep grocerys from sliding around.
CargoBox002.jpg

I used roller bearing drawer slides capable of holding 100lbs per pair.
CargoBox007.jpg
What kind of wood did you use?Thanks

3/4" MDF. Would like to have used 3/4" Plywood, but MDF is less then half the price. I used an oil base primer, so hopefully the moisture won't warp the boxer.

Back