• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch lights

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to do a writeup on some lights I just put in my back hatch. This will be part 1 because I don't have time to wire them up right now. We didn't have speakers in the back hatch and wanted some light for camping or working out of the back end in the dark. Picts should be self explanitory. The lights are typical tractor trailer lights gotten at any truckers store or parts store.

IMG_4144-800.jpg

IMG_4145-800.jpg

IMG_4146-800.jpg

IMG_4148-800.jpg

IMG_4149-800.jpg

IMG_4150-800.jpg

IMG_4151-800.jpg

IMG_4152-800.jpg

IMG_4154-800.jpg

IMG_4156-800.jpg

pretty cool idea, mine is a 2000, so the speakers are in the headliner from the factory. The tailgate should still have the holes in the same place though even though my panel is different right? Might have to remember this for later on when I get in the mood to work on something.

I've often thought about doing the same thin but with LED's, a wee bit cost prohibative at current prices though. Nice job, now to install a switch to activate them when the hatch is open all the way.

I never would have thought of that...but a cool idea. Where are you gonna wire them to? And are you gonna install a switch on the liftgate too?:yelclap:

97 and newer XJs had a completely different restyled full steel tailgate so the spots for the speakers wouldnt be there. however i have takin off the tailgate panel and if i remember correctly there should be room to do a mod like this but it has been a while so i wouldnt fully take my word on that and i would double check and take the panel off urself if i were u

Rattle rattle squeek rattle squeek

and while i am on the topic did you figure out how to fix that problem? I see that all the mount points are broken off. so you obviously had the same problem I had with it.

I'm planning on wireing the switch into one of the side pannels. I'm also going to wire up a set of backup lights although I'm not sure if they will go on the liftgate or on the bumper.

As for the clips. The first half of them broke off the first time I removed the pannel and the rest broke when I took it off this time. I'll probably get some trim screws to secure it back on. Those clips bring the suck and brittle plastic doesn't help. :wierd:

What did those come off of and are they surface mounted or did you have to cut a big hole for the light? I like that style light and the location looks pretty smooth. :greensmok

Sorry to hijack my own thread. :D

yellowta said:
pretty cool idea, mine is a 2000, so the speakers are in the headliner from the factory. The tailgate should still have the holes in the same place though even though my panel is different right? Might have to remember this for later on when I get in the mood to work on something.
There's plenty of room to do this on the metal hatches. I put a couple of these LEDs in mine, and they work very well. I put a switch in the plastic trim going up the rear pillar, so it's easy to turn them on while you've got the hatch up.

lapisxj - thanks, I'm going to be using it for camping too, so I may just go with the trailer lights.

GreenGhost - do you have any pics of yours installed?

I noticed in that link that GreenGhost posted that they offer a 4" LED backup light similar to the one I put in (but LED). It doesn't give any output numbers though...

alot of light manufacturers make those lights. they are called reverse lights. i have them on the back of my service truck. i have even set the emergency brake and put it in reverse to use the lights for tieing down things on a trailer. i dont have the leds either. they are pretty bright though.
this pic shows the leds in 2 sizes also..
DSCF1077-a.JPG

peterson makes them
http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm?cId=1&fId=61&pId=2266

truck lite
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=10324&langId=-1

both are manufacturers to find a model number then do a google or ebay for them.
from trucklites site.
  • Highest quality LED lighting products on the market from a brand you can trust
  • Most advanced & cost effective 4" LED Back-up lamps
  • 27 LED pattern lamps require the purchase of 2 lamps, one for each side
  • 54 LED pattern lamps require the purchase of only 1 lamp
  • i guess that means to meet the federal spec for revers light you need to run 1 54 led light or 2 27 led lights in other words im guessing the 54 is really bright..
standard in 4" light
they have 5 1/2" lights too.
they have flange mount to screw it in or grommet mount to be held in by the rubber.

Last edited:
Here's a shot of them mounted in the hatch:
IMG_0864_1.jpg

Where I mounted the switch. There's no interference when the hatch closes:
IMG_0867_1.jpg

And a shot of how much light they put out:
IMG_0870_1.jpg

The shots I had with the fascia off the hatch didn't show the space inside to mount them very well, but there's plenty of room.

Sweet. I know what I'm doing with my allowance!:laugh:

My little plastic clips would no longer hold so I used wall anchors. The ones you put in drywall that spread out when you tighten the screw. They work great. No more rattles. If you put them in strategically they don't look redneckish. If you get them in the carpeting section you can't even see them.

Back