• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drivers door switches only work on accessory mode

XJJeepNewb

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, it's been several years since I really messed with my XJ much beyond the occasional drive to keep it moving and lubricated.

But now I have a weird problem and need some help diagnosing:

1999 4door classic
- all the functions on the drivers door switch have stopped working. no mirrors, none of the window switches, it doesnt even have lights in it.
- haha! I had bought a new switch about 10 yrs ago and never needed to install it so I took the panel off and plugged the new one in.... no joy. NOTHING worked still.
-I checked the regular fuses and theyre not blown.
- I'm not sure how to check the breaker/relay (?) in position 28? (sorry I dont have the diagram in front of me but its just to top and left of #1).

HOWEVER! while sitting there messing with it, i accidentally turned the switch from 'on' all the way back to 'accessory' and the switch lit up and all functions worked.

Aside from throwing parts at it... any ideas why this happening or what to do about it?

HOWEVER! while sitting there messing with it, i accidentally turned the switch from 'on' all the way back to 'accessory' and the switch lit up and all functions worked.

That makes me think that the ignition switch is failing.

maybe? how can I check this without replacing the ignition switch?

I'm not totally sold on it because when I've had switches fail before, they tend to do so gradually (so you can turn it slowly or manipulate it around and get a connection) but this was working one day and then not.

I checked continuity on the "circuit breaker" that silver fuse looking thing (56021543 25A) in the lower passenger kick panel and it had continuity (but not sure if this is a valid test given that its name implies some reset capability.

image-2023-10-25-183728679.png

tonight it was very dark by the time I got around to testing and noticed that there was a very tiny flicker of light for about 1/4 second in the door control panel when I switched from 'off to on' so I'm wondering if there is some other relay involved or if the 'breaker circuit' is bad?

You can check the outputs at the switch for voltage!

There is only one wire that feeds cb#28 from the ign switch, so if it works in the accessory position and not in the run position it has to be the ign switch!

Just curious but do you have a tilt steering column? What part number did you order?(4565326)

Just curious but do you have a tilt steering column? What part number did you order?(4565326)

First off... a very sincere "Thank you!" for the help and advice. I was really lost on where to start.

I finally got around to changing it out today and that fixed it for me. (Although my drivers side motor is really straining so I think I'll have to replace that at some point in the near future :flamemad:lol )

Also yes I have a 99 'classic' and the tilt steering column, this is the part I ordered on Amazon www.amazon.com/dp/B000C81WYS

Back