• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch lights

killer idea.

working on the same setup myself, ordered switches few days ago, will be using 4in. headlights though, may be overkill but we'll see, if its too bright I could use them for backup lights.

I just bought a pack (4) of these at Walmart for $20. They swivel and change pitch and are pretty bright. Plus they are held on with some strong Velcro so you can take it off and use it else where.

IMG_3556.jpg

I used (SIGNAL-STAT 77-570) Mine was a cheap install cause I already had lamps. Flush mount,low amp draw LED'S are the way to go, but with the old fashion Taxi lamps you can shove a High wattage 1156 in there.

I hope theirs a manual on off switch for that last install?

Sorry to drag up an old thread but this is a cool idea.

BTW, it has been found that LED lights do not attract bugs. Wasn't until I was out camping with some friends who had an LED camp light, that it was noticed that no bugs would swarm around it, unlike my regular camp light. Having read up on this, it's something about the LED lights wave length that doesn't attract them.

Just thought I would share that info, incase you might be on the fence regarding which type to get.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but this is a cool idea.

BTW, it has been found that LED lights do not attract bugs. Wasn't until I was out camping with some friends who had an LED camp light, that it was noticed that no bugs would swarm around it, unlike my regular camp light. Having read up on this, it's something about the LED lights wave length that doesn't attract them.

Just thought I would share that info, incase you might be on the fence regarding which type to get.

Gawd! thank you....I will use led just for that..... thank you, thank you.:eyes:

where are you guys getting your power from? are you running all the way to the battery or tapping in under the dash? and that LED info is awesome. thanks

My power's coming from the battery. I've got a direct line coming back to a box where the spare used to be which houses my air pump. I put a fuse block in there, and ran the power to the lights from there. No relay, as noted there's not a lot of draw to the lights, and I mounted the switch in the door frame in line from that fuse box to the hatch.
Really am digging this set up. I'll have to pay attention to the bug idea. Maybe set up a regular light nearby to see if there's any difference. It would be sweet if there was!

Where are you guys getting your LED lights ? Anywhere local wants close to $80 a pair for 4" led AUX lights.
I didnt see this the first couple times I read it.
It was on the first page.

There's plenty of room to do this on the metal hatches. I put a couple of these LEDs in mine, and they work very well. I put a switch in the plastic trim going up the rear pillar, so it's easy to turn them on while you've got the hatch up.

$22 each. Not sure if its worth it for the LEDs or not. How much will these honestly be on? I cant imagine two small regular lights killing your battery unless its on for a couple hours.

I was looking into doing this mod. I was thinking I might could use the rear window defroster circuit and switch to power the lights. The wire and relay are already in the hatch. Would this be feasible? I would guess the ignition would have to be on for them to work in it current form. If so, do you think a courtesy hot could be put to the switch rather than ignition hot?

Back