• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch lights

I was looking into doing this mod. I was thinking I might could use the rear window defroster circuit and switch to power the lights. The wire and relay are already in the hatch. Would this be feasible? I would guess the ignition would have to be on for them to work in it current form. If so, do you think a courtesy hot could be put to the switch rather than ignition hot?
I think it could work.
I would say maybe wire in an additional switch in the hatch and maybe a manual switch on the dash, to override the ign on.

I was looking into doing this mod. I was thinking I might could use the rear window defroster circuit and switch to power the lights. The wire and relay are already in the hatch. Would this be feasible? I would guess the ignition would have to be on for them to work in it current form. If so, do you think a courtesy hot could be put to the switch rather than ignition hot?

Something else to keep in mind is that the window defroster circuit should be on a timer and shut off after a period of time. I don't know if you want these turning off in the middle of what you're doing. :laugh: I would think you could wire in a constant hot to the relay or just wire your own relay and let the switch trigger it.

I ended up buying a pair of led driving lights from advance for $20 and since I recently removed all the electrical crap out of my hatch(who needs a rear window wiper/defroster anyway....)I used the wiper + to power the light....I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.Can only be used with the ignition on or in ACC. but not a big deal.

Absolutely love the idea, cheap, easy, and very useful. my question is, where is everyone running their wiring!? i mounted my cb antenna on the hatch and it was a pita to try to hide the cable.

I pulled the stock wiring bundle, enlarged the holes in the hatch and body, and then used a rubber bootie from a door to give me a larger wiring channel.

Hatch_Wiring_Boot_2.sized.jpg

I had to replace the connectors on the hatch end of the harness since they were too big to pull through, however I have a lot of room for any desired mods now

I love digging up old threads!
This one is awesome, I'll definately be dropping some LED's into my tailgate, and maybe adding one or two to the interior cargo area that switch on and off with the factory cargo light.

Back