• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch lights

Well I thought I had already posted the results to this project but I guess I was wrong. :dunce:

I finished the wireing and got the lights working. They work great and it makes it much easier to work in the back end at night. Here are a few picts...

Where the switch got mounted...
IMG_5814-800.jpg

The back end once everything was put in it's place. I also ended up making a holder for my air hose.
IMG_5815-800.jpg

The lights on with the hatch up.
IMG_5818-800.jpg

The switch lit up at night.
IMG_5821-800.jpg

Oh and when i put the pannel back on I ended up using some push pannel clips from Lowes. I'll see if I have the part number and a pict of those as well.

After seeing this thread about a month ago I went out to Northern Tools and got 2 of those lights and put them in my 95'. It took about 2 hours and it turned out fantastic. One of the easiest and least expensive mods I have done. Its a good project if you just want to fiddle with somthing. I have used them several times since I put them in and I cant believe that I never thought of doing this mod myself.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

looks really good would like to do the same mod to my 00, I'm an avid hunter and the lights would come in very handy, did U splice into the factory wiring, if so where, or did U take wire straight from the battery?

waserwolf said:
looks really good would like to do the same mod to my 00, I'm an avid hunter and the lights would come in very handy, did U splice into the factory wiring, if so where, or did U take wire straight from the battery?

It sounds funny but I ran an old extension cord from a terminal block that I've mounted under the hood. The cord has 3 wires in it and they are for the rock lights, the hatch lights, and for backup lights (which I've not installed yet). It is secured to the brake/fuel lines running down the inside of the drivers side 'frame' rail.

For the ultimate in "trick", why not use an illuminated switch, with the illumination wired to a push switch triggered by the tailgate, as used for the courtesy lights. Or just wire the switch illumination into the courtesy lights.

So, when you open the tailgate, the switch lights up, making it easier to find in the dark.

Certainly an idea that has just gone on my mod list, though I've got speakers and a GRP tailgate, so it might be a bit of a squeeze.

would like to hear from both parties, those who installed LED's and those who didn't, looking for comparisons. Price, lighting(heard that LED light does not flood as well as conventional). Help me decide, thanks.

Well cost wise the whole setup ended up being about $20-25 for the incandescent lights. Lights were about $8 each, grommets, pigtails, and switch were a few bucks each. They put out a lot of light but will pull more amps than the LED style but with a $$ cost.

The range that they cover is pretty wide. Notice in my picts that the cargo light is off and the hatch lights still illuminate the cargo area nicely. I think in the pict that someone provided of the LED's that they didn't spread the light near as far (note the oval pattern on the ground). Personally I like the whiter light that the LED's produce but I didn't like the cost.

lapisxj said:
Personally I like the whiter light that the LED's produce but I didn't like the cost.

I like the white light also, but since the object of the mod is to provide light to see with, (and I am cheap) I'll go with incandescent. Thanks for the idea and the write up.

Tom

The LED light is more directed, but it still lights up the bed and a pretty good sized area around it. If you follow the link I put in an earlier post in this thread, you'll see DelCity has the LEDs for $22 a pair. Add grommets and pigtails and you'll probably be right around $30. I chose the LEDs for the low draw, 'cause I usually have them on for quite a while when I'm camping.
I love having the lights up there, and I'm sure you'll be happy with either the LEDs or incandescent.

I plan on doing something similar. In addition to the manual power switch I'm gonna install a door type switch in the hatch so that they will shut off when the hatch closes and with the manual switch left on will light when hatch is opened, but can still be turned off with the hatch open.

A cheap alternative is Cop/Taxi lamps. Use's a 1156 bulb. Surface mount with three screws.
They have a switch already built into them. I installed three of these into my 00 XJ.
One over drivers seat(map light) One in the cargo area, and one in the hatch(exterior ill). I wired them all to the interior lighting.

On 97 and up Xj's if you wire your lights to the interior lighting circut(at rear cargo light), they will be triggered to turn on and off with the hatch opening and closeing. No need to add a extra door switch. Not sure about pre97's.

theoriginalscion, can you post pics or a link as to which cop/taxi lamps you're talking about and your set up?

I want to add lighting back there someday for camp use and working back there at night etc... looking for a cheap effective way to do it. Thanks.

^ Yeah, I'm still looking for an affordable set that produces a good amount of not so directional light

thanks to this thread i went out and got my self some lights and did this on my jeep
i even installed a door jam switch so when the hatch is open the lights come on

KIF_2999.jpg

KIF_3011.jpg

KIF_3009.jpg

Back