• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Race Shock PSI...

Just trying to help out a local shop, spend some money in this economy. I didn't think 450 for the rear was too bad for a custom built CV with Solid Spicer joints it was the rebuild of the front which I was quoted $125 for that magically turned into a whole lot more. Wasn't worth the effort to argue about it.
My custom built cv shaft was about $300. So 450 sounds about 50% too expensive to me...

That first question makes me question your past and your "knowledge" of shocks. Your second statement tells me that you do need the suspension 101 lecture because you are confusing spring rates with your shock pressure.

Post up some pics of your wild triples. Are those on the front or rear? Did you get the single compression and dual rebound or dual compression and single rebound?

Which end do your resis hang from? That there makes a difference in how much pressure to run. Also depends on the oil. And a little on the valving. And what the intended use is.

We used to run 200. We made a significant change for Parker and we liked it. A lot. We are going to try it again for the Mint. But we also run Bilstein. Personally, I'd run Fox's on a trail rig on the lower end of the PSI range.

Let me try to make this clear:

1. I never said triple bypass shocks were godly, in fact I think they are pretty weak but they were the best I could get for what I am building. I simply wanted some adjustability without changing valving. The shocks I am familiar with (motorcycle) are far superior to what you see on most 4x4 (except Grimmies redneck rig I will give you that k?)
2. Regarding the unloading, again my past knowledge is on Motorcycle shocks that’s why I asked If you’re going to bash people for asking well then there you go. I would think with a $hit ton of pressure in these shocks it would be more likely to rebound or unload while crawling which would be a bad thing.
3. Shock pressure effects spring rate (some, a little, a compensation, I understand it is not a substitute for changing springs). On my jeep with the shocks I’m using you cannot move the suspension very much at all maybe half an inch with two big guys pushing down on the bumper, I just thought that was kind of stiff, that’s all, seemed like eventually it should have compressed even if the valving was super stiff.

lol, they saw you coming

LOL, yea maybe they did but that doesn't concern me, this is not a budget build. It's the good fast and cheap rule. I'm shooting for good and fast, time is more important right now.

Fox 2.0's come in triple bypass smart guy. The 2.0 is the measurement of the diameter of the shock body.

I'm over it guys, whatever, not getting anywhere here. I will figure it out when I have it running and can do some adjustments and testing. Thanks to those who answered, f the rest of you, read the thread I didn't start the bashing.

The shocks I am familiar with (motorcycle) are far superior to what you see on most 4x4 (except Grimmies redneck rig I will give you that k?)

far superior in what way? i am just curious. i understand motorcycle racing shocks being better than most shocks us jeeping guys use, which was stated earlier. but i would think that a triple bypass shock like diesel sj described and the shocks goatman are running would at least be at the same level, considering thats what racing teams use...so please enlighten us. i just cant help to think that if they were superior, that similar technology would be in use in other applications besides motorcycles.

.......Air pressure has nothing to do with valving, so no, you don't understand................

Look dude, I understand fully not sure how else to explain it but I understand fully what valving is and does, I am a former Supercross mechanic, our shocks make your shocks look like kids toys. I had to buy triple bypass shocks for my f’n XJ camping rig just so I could have some adjustability without cracking them open. I have rebuilt more shocks than I could ever fathom counting. I can still smell the fish oil, if you know what I'm talking about then you know. I have worked with some of the best in the business; I managed 2 multimillion dollar motorsports facilities, etc, etc, etc. I’m just asking what pressure some of you have been running in your shocks, now if the answer is “in this redneck sport we won’t know the difference” then just say that. Yes you are correct most people will not ever feel a difference I am not one of them. Thanks for your replies.

I'm over it guys, whatever, not getting anywhere here. I will figure it out when I have it running and can do some adjustments and testing. Thanks to those who answered, f the rest of you, read the thread I didn't start the bashing.

Well then, I guess I started the bashing, but you added the insults to everyone which really got it going, so we'll share the blame. Seemed like sort of an elementary question, though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. This, like all over the internet, is a discussion board. You're going to get discussions, and it is a major help to add a little background or context to questions or sh!t like this can happen. Somewhere in the midst of your defensiveness you could add just a touch of humor, like many of us are, and things can go a lot better.

Oh, and my shocks aren't from a Raptor. I thought you might know what both positive and negative pressures are since you've dealt with such more sophisticated shocks than we have. Yes, you had that coming.

An XJ is an SUV, and most rear springs are stiff enough to handle some load, so standing on the back might not do so much. Yes, there might be to much air in some new shocks, but brand new shocks don't usually come with pressure in the higher ranges, and the pressure would usually effect spring rate as the shock gets closer to full bump. Like you said, trail rigs and crawlers don't need a lot of pressure, and while theoretically possible that excessive pressure could increase the probability to push off my opinion is that the pressure hasn't much effect, if any, near full extension. Leaf springs inherently don't push off, since they need weight pulling down on them to reach full droop, and we like running triple weight coilovers with a tender spring to minimize pushing off in the front (if running coilovers).

I hope you can find a sense of humor and hang out here some, it really has a bunch of pretty great people, even if they are (like you) a bunch of wise asses.

:cheers:

Somewhere in the midst of your defensiveness you could add just a touch of humor, like many of us are, and things can go a lot better.
:cheers:

I'm just going to mount them upside down so the fluid is on the bottom that should soften them up.

There ya go. Now you've done it. You've named he who cannot be named.

I need more :popcorn:

The retard runs deep with this guy. I'm not not sure what to say.

I'm guessing that's why he is a "former" super cross mechanic. It's probably one of those deals where his "friend" was trying to qualify and Mr. XJJD got a pit pass (probably through oral favors) which automatically made him Mr. Mechanic.

Is that copper canyon or pink? It's tough for me to even compare this to that, he wasn't even this mouthy about being super smart.

It's early but so I never did figure out what shocks he has so I won't comment on that. I think he should head to Pirate to get some more informative answers.

The retard runs deep with this guy. I'm not not sure what to say.

I'm guessing that's why he is a "former" super cross mechanic. It's probably one of those deals where his "friend" was trying to qualify and Mr. XJJD got a pit pass (probably through oral favors) which automatically made him Mr. Mechanic.

Is that copper canyon or pink? It's tough for me to even compare this to that, he wasn't even this mouthy about being super smart.

It's early but so I never did figure out what shocks he has so I won't comment on that. I think he should head to Pirate to get some more informative answers.

Yea, yea get a life looser. You are a true troll. How many years are you going to just sit on this forum and try to feel better about yourself? It’s not going to help you need to get a life rather than sitting up there drinking the same beer with the same guys talking smack about people who actually accomplish things. I know it’s easier to talk $hit but in the end it’s all just an excuse for your own incompetence.

Mods I’m pretty sure this thread can be closed now. Thanks.

Back