• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arms

gijosiahh said:
whats the point in making someone feel like a total jackass? you want someone to learn a lesson then help them...making them feel like a total retard for trying to do something is pretty lame. i mean constructive criticism is one thing, but ripping his balls off and talking to him like hes stupid is another. sure he made some mistakes, but he'll learn and he doesn't need all this bs making him feel like crap. and making fun of him and saying the post is up on pirate for EVERYONE else to make fun of---how does that help him? it'll discourage someone out of 4wheeling if anything.

hey go check out my very first reply to this thread, then re read ALL of my post in this thread. my very first reply was giving him advice, everything else i said was completely deserved. if it discourages him out of 4 wheeling then thats a damn good thing, becuase if he comes on here with complete booty fab unsafe crap then when we all laugh he says its temporary then he should go back to mommy. ive been bashed and ripped apart since 2001 when i first got on the computer and started posting on message boards, i did a lot of stupid booty fab crap (still slightly do, but its not unsafe) and all the bashing simply drove me to keep going and proove everyone wrong.

youve done zero to help this kid, you come in here and start bashing the very first person to help this kid. do you wanna give him a high five and say good work shortly before he hops in his xj and kills a family going to the zoo in thier minivan? oh but wait that wont happen cause its "temporary", how much you wanna bet he thought it was fine and good and was going to be driving it all around? all of our bashing made him realize its crap and to redo it possibly saving a family in a mini van on the way to the zoo.

so in short, grow some balls he asked for our opinions and we gave them. if he came on here specificly asking everyone not to bash and that he didnt want our opinion it would be a hole nother story

someone go bash going to the zoo on the minivan forum , if the bashing doesn't work here, maybe we can still save that damn family in a minivan.

ok serious kudos to alfred for not saying "screw you guys I'm goin home"

now get him on the right track.

Stock crossmember is waaay to weak to hold arms, and you need to raise those frame side mounts to stop them from being anchors. and fix that steering!

i read your first post...and all of them. giving him advice and then totally making fun of him kind of contradicts itself. sure you did give him some good pointers...and then laughed at him and degraded him. cool man. i don't know how i would feel taking advice from someone who makes me feel like shit. when i give someone advice i usually don't make them feel worthless. but whatever.

and how is it good if it discourages him out of 4wheeling. hes 18, in highschool. fabbing up whatever he did, even if it sucks, is a whole lot more than what any other people were doing when they were in highschool. if hes getting a start at that early of an age, then things can only get better as he gets older.

i'm not claiming to have helped him, unlike others who say they are helping and just end up making things worse. and it doesnt take bashing for someone to realize what they did won't work. just tell him its not safe and wont work and that he needs to rethink things. but instead people say "holy crap you're dumb for doing this you know nothing blah blah blah". the bashing isn't what made him realize...the bashing was unneccesary. simply telling him will make him realize.

me grow some balls? why would i need to grow some balls? you don't need balls to be a dickhead. you need balls to tell someone else that they're being a dick. so im a little confused on that one.

i will bet you money it would be no different of a story had he said "i don't want any bashing"...then i gaurantee people will say.."you can't expect people to not bash you when you post up a picture of your fab that won't work" or whatever...and people will commence with the bashing..and it would be no different.

What metal are you looking for Alfredxj????

And who did you order from locally that has a backorder???

BMG??

Richman steel??

post up what you need... I'm local and have some connections to some scrapyards too...

Try calling a place called public scrap they're local , or dominion recycling.. Both have tons of steel for the taking and are cheap to boot!!!

Highlander said:
What metal are you looking for Alfredxj????

And who did you order from locally that has a backorder???

BMG??

Richman steel??

post up what you need... I'm local and have some connections to some scrapyards too...

Try calling a place called public scrap they're local , or dominion recycling.. Both have tons of steel for the taking and are cheap to boot!!!

hydraulic service on victory bvld, 3/4 inch plate and some channel.

try BMG they can get anything within a day or two...

and they're one of the cheapest on the area.

gijosiahh said:
i read your first post...and all of them. giving him advice and then totally making fun of him kind of contradicts itself. sure you did give him some good pointers...and then laughed at him and degraded him. cool man. i don't know how i would feel taking advice from someone who makes me feel like shit. when i give someone advice i usually don't make them feel worthless. but whatever.

and how is it good if it discourages him out of 4wheeling. hes 18, in highschool. fabbing up whatever he did, even if it sucks, is a whole lot more than what any other people were doing when they were in highschool. if hes getting a start at that early of an age, then things can only get better as he gets older.

i'm not claiming to have helped him, unlike others who say they are helping and just end up making things worse. and it doesnt take bashing for someone to realize what they did won't work. just tell him its not safe and wont work and that he needs to rethink things. but instead people say "holy crap you're dumb for doing this you know nothing blah blah blah". the bashing isn't what made him realize...the bashing was unneccesary. simply telling him will make him realize.

me grow some balls? why would i need to grow some balls? you don't need balls to be a dickhead. you need balls to tell someone else that they're being a dick. so im a little confused on that one.

i will bet you money it would be no different of a story had he said "i don't want any bashing"...then i gaurantee people will say.."you can't expect people to not bash you when you post up a picture of your fab that won't work" or whatever...and people will commence with the bashing..and it would be no different.

cry me a river, like i said i was in the same place he was and all the bashing helped me become much better and drove me to proove them all wrong. my bashing is for a purpose and it looks like it worked, not made it worse. youve got such big balls you called out somone for bashing on the interweb, man i wish i had as big of balls as you do.

the search button works great, try to use it alfred.

edit; i also started out of high school turned 18 had to move out get a job finish high school through a diploma and fab up my own stuff, two years later i built an exo cage so i know exactley what hes going through.

Last edited:
if you mount your control arms under the frame rails build a ramp/skid behind the control arm like this
rgh1178683251a.jpg

i made a u shape bracket that went around all three sides of the frame rails so i had a very solid base for my links to mount to and also so i could mount my new cross member to. this also makes for a great spot to mount your uppers, i have a bolt that goes all the way through the frame rail through my plate twice then through the upper control arm to another tab welded to the plate. this was easily done by cutting my old short link in half and sleeving it with sched80 pipe, i have about 50$ into my long arm setup using what i had laying around. theres much better looking setups on here then mine but its strong and i even jump the thing.

i have 300$ in my steering including the track bar, over the knuckle with tabs welded to the tie rod for the drag link, also notice my track bar is parralell with the drag link and its also almost the same length (about 3" shorter)

jdv1178683276h.jpg

it doesnt need to look good it just needs to be strong enough so you dont have catastrophic failure on the highway or the trail, you should also consider getting rid of the radius setup. i was building one like yours but i realized how easy it would be to add brackets on the inside of the frame rail and go with a true 4 link.

Last edited:
arx1178685110c.JPG

my control arms are 1" difference in length, my upper mount was moved forward becuase thats how i built the brackets on my axle. you can move them back for normall axle mount locations, i built my coil buckets towards the rear of the axle to push my front axle forward so my lowers are about 4" from the axle tube where as my uppers are above the axle tube mounted around centerline.

Last edited:
88rockxj said:
arx1178685110c.JPG

my control arms are 1" difference in length, my upper mount was moved forward becuase thats how i built the brackets on my axle. you can move them back for normall axle mount locations, i built my coil buckets towards the rear of the axle to push my front axle forward so my lowers are about 4" from the axle tube where as my uppers are above the axle tube mounted around centerline.
thats amazing art skills.

88rockxj said:
cry me a river,

youve got such big balls you called out somone for bashing on the interweb, man i wish i had as big of balls as you do.

edit; i also started out of high school turned 18 had to move out get a job finish high school through a diploma and fab up my own stuff, two years later i built an exo cage so i know exactley what hes going through.

cry me a river. i didn't ask for your life story. but yeah. about the big balls...its cool. i get that a lot. but yeah this is lame now so whatever. i love you.

gijosiahh said:
but yeah. about the big balls...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]I'm upper, upper class high society
God's gift to ballroom notoriety
And I always fill my ballroom
The event is never small
All the social papers say I've got the biggest balls of all

CHORUS
I've got big balls
I've got big balls
And they're such big balls
Dirty big balls
And he's got big balls,
And she's got big balls,
But we've got the biggest balls of them all!

And my balls are always bouncing
My ballroom always full
And everybody comes and comes again
If your name is on the guest list
No one can take you higher
Everybody says I've got great balls of fire!

CHORUS

Some balls are held for charity
And some for fancy dress
But when they're held for pleasure,
They're the balls that I like best.
And my balls are always bouncing,
To the left and to the right.
It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night.

CHORUS

And I'm just itching to tell you about them
Oh, we have such wonderful fun
Seafood cocktail
Crabs
Crayfish [/SIZE][/FONT]

Frank Z said:
FWIW, your joints aren't going to last long at all. They appear to be poly-bushings. You need to use a joint that can rotate a bit in the mount. Johnnie Joints, big heims, or even rubber control arm bushings.
Holy Fawktard central... (go with it, I'm in a mood)
4 pages in for someone to notice a very critical point. Poly bushings= shitty flex.

OK, you want advice.
PARK THAT FUCKING THING. REMOVE THOSE POS LONG ARMS AND PUT YOUR STOCK CONTROL ARMS BACK ON. If you have coil spacers, remove them.
You welded 1/4" tabs to the stock crossmember. the CM is like 12 gauge or something. very thin. You just don't need arms that go all the way to the cross member.
I thought long and hard about going to the radius arm setup. But then I found that many hard core guys are running a much mellower setup.
They are running a single upper in the stock arangment about, and a midarm lower. something in the 20" long setup. ALl the flex one would need.
Put down the welder and fab tools. read more magazines, take a fab class.

Back