• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arms

Frank Z said:
FWIW, your joints aren't going to last long at all. They appear to be poly-bushings. You need to use a joint that can rotate a bit in the mount. Johnnie Joints, big heims, or even rubber control arm bushings.
they are rubber at the end of the axle..

bcsavage said:
Sorry alfred, but I'm looking into LA setups recently and even I could tell you that isn't the safest setup. No support, welds don't look too impressive either.

and is there only one tab on the upper links welded to the LA's? wtf were you thinking with that? And the front steering is damn near vertical. YIKES!

what the hell are you talking about?

Frank Z said:
Anyone consider offering some assitance or constructive advice?

consider reading everyones replies? perhaps my very first reply to this thread which happens to be the 8th post in this thread? first thing i did was give him advice and repeatidly have told him to start searching.

alfredsxj said:
damn and all i wanted to hear i its starting to be on the right track

well, I'm not going to be as harsh as some have been but if that's what you wanted to hear, you shouldn't have posted these pics (if you're wait on steel is true)

Instead all I can tell you is that you're on your way to a messy car accident.

Those upper mounts are terribly weak, two tabs hanging down to mount a shock are one thing, but to mount the only two main arms holding your axle under your Jeep, not smart.

You should add a couple bolts to hold that crossmember in, or it should be welded into place and have a center that will drop out, and a different crossmember at that. That flimsy factory crossmember wont hold much, build something sturdier now before it ends badly.

If all that was temporary so it didn't have to sit around, fine, great. But don't drive it... Hasta

alfredsxj said:
the controll arms are welded together, not safe at all

honestly, your frame side mounts would fail before those redneck welded together control arms would.

seriously im gonna say it again, search there are soooo many good threads with pictures of long arms you could very easily build one that will work great. looks like you have the want and tools to do it

88rockxj said:
consider reading everyones replies? perhaps my very first reply to this thread which happens to be the 8th post in this thread? first thing i did was give him advice and repeatidly have told him to start searching.
Yes I did and you are correct, but there was far more bashing going on than there was anything else.

Now granted he asked what people thought and that seems to open the floodgates on the ol' interwebby...but Jebus H. Tap Dancin' Christ on a Surfboard! No one here is perfect. Seems it's easier to bash for some than it is to actually help.

[/hijack]

S2010011.jpg

S2010008.jpg

get it now? only one tab to hold the upper links to the lower arms.

Frank Z said:
Yes I did and you are correct, but there was far more bashing going on than there was anything else.

Now granted he asked what people thought and that seems to open the floodgates on the ol' interwebby...but Jebus H. Tap Dancin' Christ on a Surfboard! No one here is perfect. Seems it's easier to bash for some than it is to actually help.

[/hijack]

i completely agree with you, i can not stand it when people that are skilled and have the ability to help dont but instead choose to bash them. sometimes its needed and deserved, but you should atleast offer some form of help. i usualy do both

its just keeps getting worse though, i dont even know what to say about the uppers in single shear.

Hey man, I understand you want to improve your rig, but like everyone's said, do a bit more research, look at pictures a LOT more and copy what other people have done and have done well. You might consider putting your jeep on stands, ripping everything out from under it (to include the dana 35), and re-do it all, but this time using a bit more tech than just two tabs and a welder. If it seems like everyone is smashing your rig....well, that's because they are. A lot of people drive shotty rigs on the road, get into accidents and because of them, the law falls down on the rest of us, limiting us to what we can do to our rigs. Every law came from someone's mistake....your rig is one of those examples.... Just take what everyone has said with an open mind and start over.

88rockxj said:
i completely agree with you, i can not stand it when people that are skilled and have the ability to help dont but instead choose to bash them. sometimes its needed and deserved, but you should atleast offer some form of help. i usualy do both
88rockxj said:
3 weeks wait on steel? what the hell are you using unobtanium? why did you not wait to post pictures untill you were done? why not state in your thread that you were not finished and it was only temporary? is me asking all these questions teaching you anything?
88rockxj said:
vetteboy LMFAO not even 30 minutes and its already on pirate ready to be praised for all its glory
vetteboy said:
Ah, crap. Get that thing off all public roads until you actually understand what the hell you're doing.

whats the point in making someone feel like a total jackass? you want someone to learn a lesson then help them...making them feel like a total retard for trying to do something is pretty lame. i mean constructive criticism is one thing, but ripping his balls off and talking to him like hes stupid is another. sure he made some mistakes, but he'll learn and he doesn't need all this bs making him feel like crap. and making fun of him and saying the post is up on pirate for EVERYONE else to make fun of---how does that help him? it'll discourage someone out of 4wheeling if anything.

hey your in richmond, you want your daughter or son driving on the same road with 'that'

well if i had kids the answer would obviously be no. we all know that what he did isn't going to work and is unsafe. he even knows that by now. but thats not the point. the way the message was conveyed is where people started to be in the wrong. its fine telling someone what they should do and give them pointers on how to do it, but that isn't what most people have been doing, and that leads to no where.

gijosiahh said:
well if i had kids the answer would obviously be no. we all know that what he did isn't going to work and is unsafe. he even knows that by now. but thats not the point. the way the message was conveyed is where people started to be in the wrong. its fine telling someone what they should do and give them pointers on how to do it, but that isn't what most people have been doing, and that leads to no where.

I think that the main point is that he has posted pics before when it was short arm'd and we all told him what he should do (RESEARCH) and he comes back with this. It's just going over the same thing, IE, him/her not listening to ideas and coming back with a death trap. So, I'd say it's deserved:gag:

well in that case the bashing is deserved...to a certain extent. i mean for all we know the dude took the advice that was given and tried to make some long arms that he thought would be ok according to what he learned. but if it was mentioned that he posted before and received the same comments but didn't listen, then yes he did deserve it. it would have made me, as well as others, understand more if someone had mentioned that.

most people still haven't forgotten the "10" of lift" thread.

but I do agree that this has snowballed into a bashing that is uneccesary. We know it's wrong, he now knows it's wrong so lets work at fixing it.

Alfred - your arms are long enough that you can make a crossmember to bolt in front of your tranny crossmember and be able to re-use those arms by shortening them. Or if you want to keep them the same length then look into making a crossmember that does both, similar to this

http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_hq51gQJZjgg3M13QnEnq07dcuSjA4ZG3

then you just need to work on getting a second tab for your upper links on there. Prolly have to remove the first one and remake them. Honestly, as bad as it is right now it's not far from being fixed properly. You had the right idea, just didn't think through all the forces that they handle and where the strength needs to be.

Back