• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knuckle rotation contemplation

It means whatever you want it to mean.

Questioning?

Don't call me God Troy. You should know better.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
Don't call me God Troy. You should know better.

--ron
yes, yes i do:laugh: i love you ron.:loveu:

Mr.OverKill said:
ok, so that means?????? well .......... 3* of rotation???? what ????common sense is really uncommon, how about a hint, dispense with some of your God like insight...:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Oh come on, Troy.....really?

Decide what pinion angle you want so the driveshaft doesn't vibrate, then set the inner C's to have 5* of caster with the pinion angle that you're after.

XJEEPER said:
You nailed it, Jes.

Jeff, I do remember the days of disconnecting my front driveshaft for every trip to and from the trail. I actually had some plummers tape and a wing nut and kept a 5/16 wrench handy to make it easy.

Thought this might help some.

caster.jpg

Goatman said:
Jeff, I do remember the days of disconnecting my front driveshaft for every trip to and from the trail. I actually had some plummers tape and a wing nut and kept a 5/16 wrench handy to make it easy.

Thought of this, but living in a state that sees regular snowstorms in the winter months, I'd prefer the immediate access to 4wd.

I did find that the XJ drove just fine with as little as 3* of castor.

XJEEPER said:
3* at 75mph still has more vibes than I care for. gonna twist em.

Those nifty Warn 5 on 4.5" hubs have proven to be pretty durable.

All it takes is money. :D

Goatman said:

Uni-bearings have a few benifits also. The ease of changing an axle being the biggest.

The cost of a warn hub conversion almost offsets the cost of just building a 44 that already comes with hubs.

Yep, that's true, if you're starting from scratch. If you already have money tied up in a well built turdy and you have driveline vibes, then it's something to consider.

The alloy stubs could be sold to cover a little bit of the cost.

Goatman said:
Yep, that's true, if you're starting from scratch. If you already have money tied up in a well built turdy and you have driveline vibes, then it's something to consider.

The alloy stubs could be sold to cover a little bit of the cost.

$1,099.00........buys a lot of cutoff wheels.

bj-666 said:
said endevor may be avoided by said party purchasing offset balljoints.
My caster was 2.00*/2.15*; camber -.1.08*/-0.71* with worn out upper ball joints.

I figured what a great opportunity to put in some nifty 2* offest balljoints to regain some caster.

Now I have a wonderful 2.84*/2.71* of caster; -0.61*/-0.34* camber.

Jeff, want to practice on my axle? :D

Alex, how did it drive with 2* of castor? I know mine was fine with 3*, but what is 2* like?

Handlebars said:
My caster was 2.00*/2.15*; camber -.1.08*/-0.71* with worn out upper ball joints.

I figured what a great opportunity to put in some nifty 2* offest balljoints to regain some caster.

Now I have a wonderful 2.84*/2.71* of caster; -0.61*/-0.34* camber.

Jeff, want to practice on my axle? :D

They make offset lower balljoints now too....

Goatman said:
Alex, how did it drive with 2* of castor? I know mine was fine with 3*, but what is 2* like?
It's not too bad at my Cherokee's maximum speed of 80mph, but I can't drive "no hands" for long. It will pull in whatever direction the road crowns towards. Crosswinds make for a white knuckle drive. I can live with it but I was still hoping to get it to track a little better.

TNT said:
They make offset lower balljoints now too....
Who makes 'em? The offset uppers were from SPC.

Sorry if this is wandering away from the spirit of this forum. :)

Goatman said:

Nuff Said! 'swat I did.

I'm curious what direction "said jeeper" decided to go with this thread?

Goatman said:

He's got a point ya' know... with what you've got in that turdy already, what's another $1K?
:D :D

Back