• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Help (adhesive)

mcraindog

NAXJA Forum User
So started a little project today, (as you can see). Went and picked out what I wanted for the new headliner. Picked out some black outdoor carpet. A little thick but don't think it should be too thick to use. I also picked up some Gorilla Glue, whiched turned out not to work that well. It soaked into foam headboard and was not easy to spread at all. Anyone have any suggestions of what to use. A good adhesive that will go on evenly, not soak into the board, and be strong enough to use with a thicker headboard material?
DSCN3087.jpg

DSCN3088.jpg

Elmer's School glue. Its what I used. Worked great ! You'll want to remove all that foam first.. I used a DA sander and knocked it all off. I think I thinned the school glue down a little bit with some water and spreaded it on. I used a camo pattern material for my headliner.. that helps hide the defects, etc. Its just a old XJ :)

like Dan mentioned, knock all of the foam off. I have had great luck using contact cement and ran it through an old paint gun. I actually bought a cheapo paint gun for like $12 at Harbor Freight and that seemed to work well when using that automotive carpet. I learned it from a guy that I used to work with at a stereo shop and he used this method for putting the carpet on the speaker boxes. Just apply the adhesive to both surfaces and then wait for it to get tacky and then mate the two surfaces together. WARNING- it can be a mess when using the spray gun until you get it under control, and the fumes will get you high as a mutha! Make sure you are in an area that has good venelation.

Just take a wire brush and brush all that foam crap off the head liner backer.

Then go to a flooring store or a hardware store and buy some all purpose flooring adhesive. Lay your carpet out on the head liner. Then fold half of it back and apply the adhesive to the head liner backer. I used a putty knife and just spread it nice and thin, but I used fabric. You may want to try and use a paint brush for it. Then do the other half and smooth it all out. Let it dry for a day and then put it in the jeep. I did mine 2 years ago this way, and if I try to pull the fabric off, it rips the head liner backer.

Here's a couple pics of mine, don't mind the choice of fabric, the kids picked it out and it grew on me.

familypicfootball559Small.jpg

mountains219Small.jpg

mountains218Small.jpg

yea i have done that...got a brush and scraped it all off...that was taken before I had that done...alright ill be sure do it in a closet or something...can that contact cement be bought at home depot or lowes?

yeah, a quart can is under $10 and is available at any hardware store. The spray gun will be ruined if you dont clean the hell out of it, but if you do decide to spray it in the closet, you will be so happy it wont matter :D

yeah, but don't get contact cement, it will eat right through the headliner. Make sure it's all purpose flooring adhesive, and they sell it in smaller containers.

Captain Ruggy said:
I don't think the 3m stuff will hold up carpet though.

yea that's what I'm thinking, because that's what I was going to originaly get...the carpet isn't that thick, but it is thick enough to where i'll need something good and strong

The 3m stuff works good for actual headliner fabric, but for anything heavier, I have seen it fail not too long after installing the new headliner. The flooring adhesive is more of a pain in the butt to do, but it works alot better.

Dude!! there's a forest inside your Jeep!! I hope there's no birds..... :laugh:

I actually like that look, I have no fabric on mine at the moment and sometim in the next few days I will pull it and put fabric back on it.....

Last edited:
poorboy_616 said:
Dude!! there's a forest inside your Jeep!! I hope there's no birds..... :laugh:

I actually like that look, I have no fabric on mine at the moment and sometim in the next few days I will pull it and put fabric back on it.....

Well funny you mention that.....If you look in the second pic there is a wild turkey feather I came across while deer hunting in Maine with my father befor I moved to Texas.
And for the others.. The fabric I used isn't the regular headliner fabric. It is the heavy feeling canvas material from walmart, it is deffinataly not the light stuff by any means. That 3M p/n is the heavies/strongest spray can style one that 3M offers, its the super trim adhesive made for (per there label) vinyl tops, heavywieght headliners and hood silencer pads. But ya outside carpet is going to be heavier so that might be pushing it a bit.

Last edited:
I think it looks neat....

I was thinking a camo theme for the inside of mine....and maybe camo outside as well....

I am SOOO tired of White vehicles, My Yeep is White, Our Minivan is white, the car we had before was white, and so on....It's time for some color.

I did the camo as well, but it is a really thick soft jersey material. I also went with the 3M spray, and the stuff is awesome. I don't really know if it would hold the carpet or not, but the stuff is awesome!!!

0072.jpg

I did mine and got excellent results with 3M Super Trim Adhesive.

I used the 3M spray stuff, one step up from the headliner glue. I used a nice tan vinyl, and it has held up for going on 3 years
I tried elmer's spray on glue and it lasted about a week in the California heat.

Are you totally settled on the heavy carpet? You might reconsider because I can forsee you having problems with the weight of that in the not to distant future. I used actual headliner material and 3M-like glue purchased from an upholstery supplier.
th_jeannies57b-day100.jpg

Back