• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Help (adhesive)

i would never do camo headliner in mine...and yea i think i found the stuff to use...hopefully can finish it up tomorrow...will post up if i finish or maybe even if i don't

That was in Magmerlins pics, I don't have mine installed yet. It is a factory rear soundbar. I took mine out to recover my headliner, and don't have it put back in yet. I still got to recover my visors and soundbar. Go check out some JY's, and you should be able to find one. Heck, I might even sell mine before long. I'm putting 33's on the heap soon, and a 31 will fit standing up with no prob, but I don't know if I can squeeze in a 33 or not. I guess we will see.

dodge90wood said:
hey chrisja77 where did you get the speaker set up for the rear roof? that looks hand because the speakers at the rear hatchback just aren't enough?
That is actually in my pic. It is a factory option on the XJ's. I do not know what year they started and stoped doing it but you can usually find them in the j/y. I have taken a total of 4 out of the yard by me (1 in my 89, 1 I sold online and the other 2 are going into my old managers XJ). They are out there. I do not believe the ones from a YJ will fit right. Just keep checking the j/y as they seem pretty plentifull(by me anyways) in the 93-95 models around here. If, when you find one do not forget to get the bracket in the center.

chrisja77 said:
That was in Magmerlins pics, I don't have mine installed yet. It is a factory rear soundbar. I took mine out to recover my headliner, and don't have it put back in yet. I still got to recover my visors and soundbar. Go check out some JY's, and you should be able to find one. Heck, I might even sell mine before long. I'm putting 33's on the heap soon, and a 31 will fit standing up with no prob, but I don't know if I can squeeze in a 33 or not. I guess we will see.

I lay my spare 35 down in the back. It makes the door a little hard to shut, but then it doesn't rattle.

Well a little update. This is taking longer than planned just because all the edges have to be clamped down and I only have a few clamps. Here is what I found that is working very well for this thicker material.
DSCN3094.jpg

In progress.
DSCN3091.jpg

DSCN3090.jpg

not tryib to jack this thread. but were did ya'll get your headliner? i have a 98 with the greyish color. went to pepboys and they have a grey but i cant tell if there the same color grey. i could just go black hedliner and grey the rest of the int.

That glue will do the trick. That carpet is going to be a little rough when you try to do the speaker bar. You'll have to see where it overlaps on the curved parts and cut it accordingly.

Captain Ruggy said:
That glue will do the trick. That carpet is going to be a little rough when you try to do the speaker bar. You'll have to see where it overlaps on the curved parts and cut it accordingly.

yea that glue seems to be doing the trick...it pulls the foam board away before it tears the carpet from the board. yea the trim will cover up the edges but i think i may leave the front folded over. Just got the last bit glued up. Plan on cutting tomorrow and installing it back in.

userbmx1315 said:
not tryib to jack this thread. but were did ya'll get your headliner? i have a 98 with the greyish color. went to pepboys and they have a grey but i cant tell if there the same color grey. i could just go black hedliner and grey the rest of the int.

The stuff I used I got from Wal-mart. If you have a Joann's fabric nearby they sell the actual headliner material (with the oem style foam backing) but it is exspensive.

I got my fabric from Hancock Fabric. You can get it from any fabric store though, just make sure it is a thick enough fabric that the glue doesn't bleed through too bad. I got the thicker jersey material, and had no issues with the glue coming through......and I used 3 cans of 3M spray on it.

Your headliners look good, and I'm glad you guys have found ways to make the fabric stick to that crappy foamboard. I tried 3M on mine but eventually opted for the ghetto-style upholstery brads just to keep it up out of my face.

One idea that I haven't heard mentioned is using the headliner from a newer-style XJ at a junkyard. I just replaced mine with a headliner out of a 98 and I am really happy with it. It doesn't look like it will be coming loose anytime soon, and I got the nicer speaker holder that's built-in. I bought some other stuff with it but I think it was like $30-$35. It may cost a little more than buying the glue and fabric, but certainly less labor and frustration. Just my $.02.

Then again, I guess I'm assuming the newer ones don't droop like the older ones. I may have to replace it again in a year or two.

Ok so I finally finished bolting everything up to the headliner that needed to be, got my sound bar in, and finally snapped some photos of the finished product. The adhesive I used seems to be working very well. The carpet won't peel away from the headboard, if you pull the carpet, the foam peels away from itself. Anyway here are a few finished product pictures. Oh and I ended up spraying the sound bar with a rubberized product. (thick carpet doesn't like to do many bends and turns)
DSCN3135.jpg

DSCN3133.jpg

DSCN3139.jpg

DSCN3136.jpg

i redid myine in black also. finished it up 2 days ago. i love the black way more than the grey. i think it brings out the interior more. had enough to do my headliner withe the built in sound bar and enought to do a removable one out of my ole 97.

tell you the truth i dont know. i went to a cloth shop and told then i was told to go there, they asked how much i needed and cut it. she said it was the same as car headliner. costed me $41. and some change

thats cool...well mine was just a little over $30 and won't rip or tear...i guess we'll just see how long it holds up...used some heavy duty flooring glue, so it should be up there for quite sometime

I really should get mine done.....

Maybe once I have the wire and stuff for my Sub box and Amp, I will do it....

Seeming as I have to have the trim out anyways, the headliner should pop right out.....

Back