• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gullwing window in back

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
This is a modification I haven't ever seen posted here. I saw this on a new forerunner and thought it made a lot of sense for reaching the cargo area when there is a rear spare-tire carrier.

I only added one of the driver's side for a few reasons
- they are expensive
- I really won't miss the loss of visibility where the factory spare tire was
- My solar charge controller would get destroyed reaching in on the passenger side

First step was to remove the rear window
aw3mzNXrFKbapr7

The kit I bought included some quality sealer. Glue does 95% of the work holding in the hatch. I was a little skeptical of that, but I guess it is good enough for the windshield.

iY4H6fKDJTq4KHH

The instructions say this needs to be clamped and left alone for 24 hours. I scrounged around and managed to avoid buying any new clamps.

mpkBBDGtJScNJWM

oMtoadL9ybse5CE

24 hours later I was able to fit the hinges and panel. There are many adjustments possible and this part was a little fiddly.

PPikb52iZkt2oaB

QyYj88Na37tTWLq
kHT2iTgQD3yWbXD

I have high hopes for this changing the way I use the cargo area and reducing the amount of junk that gets dumped in the back set. The only downside is that I can't really put a passenger in the rear seat drivers side anymore - the forward hinge is forward of the seatbelt and not really safe. I do wonder if it could be relocated behind the seatbelt and still be strong enough to pull the panel into the weatherstripping.

I like the concept. I am not sure it will work for me since my tire carrier is the swing out type. It looks like the panel is metal... am I correct?

Neat!

I have been thinking of doing this sort of thing for a while. I have a '92 which has a plexiglass replacement for the DS quarter window, and it is showing its age. For the same reasons you have given I have thought that would be an excellent candidate for this.

I appreciate your note about the hinges interfering with a passenger's head. That is the sort of information the marketing folks don't bother to share.

I see this is an Australian company. I have no clue how Aussie currency stacks up against US currency at the moment, plus I am sure there is a painful shipping cost. The website shows this as $800 Aussie. May I ask how much it cost delivered in US dollars? I don't need to the penny, just a sense of how close to reality is the listed $800.

Odds are good I will end up fabricating my own, but I would like to know what price I am competing against.

It was a little less than $600 shipped from Australia. the company jas glass panela for some vehicles, but 3/16" aluminum was the only option for XJs.

That seems like a very reasonable price. Especially in comparison to the time to build one.

Thank you.

Two more that are made here in the states are Biltwelloffroad and affordable offroad. I've heard the affordable stuff is fairly heavy and fit/finish wasn't all that great

Thanks, I found Affordable Offroad, but not Bitwell when I was looking. Those both seem to be storage cubbies rather than access to the interior though.

You are correct, wasnt sure if anyone else was looking for just access like you or a storage cubby. I figured that I would suggest a few more options that are avalible since you could always just cut out the cubby if you just wanted an access opening since both sources are much cheaper being local vs the cost of the Aus one.

Adding extra info just in case someone down the road only finds this thread when doing research on replacing their quarter windows.

Last edited:
I did that years ago on my XJ, using a plexiglass and a piano hinge, with a lock mechanism. I didn't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I ended up replacing it with fixed plexiglass.

Back