• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

get together at xxmid...oops i mean EFlores' place 14 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
uh...am I missing something here...

If they are public lands they are governed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Neither of those places are listed as approved venues to drive a full-size OHV per the TPWD website. If this is the case, RRC should not be promoting wheeling out there.

just got off the phone with the city
we are allowed to use buffalo
apparently im not the only one who has called :)

arrowhead is still up in the air but i would assume since one is good so would be the other

What does the TPWD say on the matter though? Game Warden's have far greater authority than local police departments.

TPWD won't have authority on city-owned public lands, right? I'm fuzzy on land-ownership, though, so I could be wrong.

Lake Arrowhead is a state park, so it falls under the jurisdiction of the TPWD. The Buffalo Creek Reservoir is controlled by the City of Iowa Park, but state regulations still apply.

I am trying to contact the TPWD to get a concrete answer.

this is must read! so who here wears their helmets while off roading???
tis a requirement!

Sec. 29.011. SAFETY APPAREL REQUIRED. (a) A person may not operate, ride, or be carried on an off-highway vehicle on public property unless the person wears:
(1) a safety helmet that complies with United States Department of Transportation standards; and
(2) eye protection.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class C Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor.

TPWD won't have authority on city-owned public lands, right? I'm fuzzy on land-ownership, though, so I could be wrong.

Not true.

Chapter 29, section 29.002(b) of the Parks and Wildlife Code states:

The department shall establish and maintain trails and recreational areas for use by owners and riders of off-highway vehicles:(1) on public land over which the department has authority or on land purchased or leased by the department; or
(2) by making grants to federal agencies, political subdivisions of this state, and nonprofit organizations under Section 29.008.
IMHO, since the Department has authority on these lands with regard to fishing, game and wildlife, the rest of the regulations apply.

:lecture::lecture::lecture::lecture::lecture:

tis a requirement!

Sec. 29.011. SAFETY APPAREL REQUIRED. (a) A person may not operate, ride, or be carried on an off-highway vehicle on public property unless the person wears:
(1) a safety helmet that complies with United States Department of Transportation standards; and
(2) eye protection.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class C Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor.

I am pretty sure that applies to non OHVs. NOT our XJs. You might need to look into that some more... Maybe the park you are talking about doesn't allow OHVs. I don't know... doesn't concern me too much.

AND ITS ABOUT TIME you others follow the Houston Area's lead and host some get togethers else where.

tis a requirement!

(2) eye protection.

oh, and you should have put this so others would have the proper definition:

Sec. 29.001. DEFINITION. In this chapter, "off-highway vehicle" means:
(1) an all-terrain vehicle, as defined by Section 663.001, Transportation Code;
(2) an off-highway motorcycle; and
(3) any other motorized vehicle used for off-highway recreation on:
(A) public land over which the department has authority or on land purchased or leased by the department; or
(B) land acquired or developed under a grant made under Section 29.008 or any other grant program operated or administered by the department.

Guess this means I'm out for Gilmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back