• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily driver choice (bring on the rice)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for that lesson, but im sure this wont work

JonsXjProjekt said:
wow it did excuse me.. thx again for the lesson PROfessor Hobo!

No, you are linking to a Members Only area of a site. We cannot see it. :jester:

I really think Toyota cars are the way of the future. Toyota has advanced further and quicker then Honduhh did especially in the 80s. Camrys and Corollas are the best Toyota has to offer economy and luxury wise. Those sport edition corollas has some pull to them. Since then Honda has caught up significantly. Like the accords with their stylish V6 badges. As for other economy cars Nissan isnt a big leader but the altima maxima sentra are all great vehicles if you dont mind stiff seats but i like the altima handling but my 86 cressida can still walk all over it power wise.

That pretty much takes care of imports. As for domestics well Im not much of a fan of domestic cars so not much comment. I will say all neons are a blast to drive once you get wider tire but feel tipsy with skinnies.

XJoshua said:
I really think Toyota cars are the way of the future. Toyota has advanced further and quicker then Honduhh did especially in the 80s. Camrys and Corollas are the best Toyota has to offer economy and luxury wise. Those sport edition corollas has some pull to them. Since then Honda has caught up significantly. Like the accords with their stylish V6 badges. As for other economy cars Nissan isnt a big leader but the altima maxima sentra are all great vehicles if you dont mind stiff seats but i like the altima handling but my 86 cressida can still walk all over it power wise.

That pretty much takes care of imports. As for domestics well Im not much of a fan of domestic cars so not much comment. I will say all neons are a blast to drive once you get wider tire but feel tipsy with skinnies.

For what it's worth the corolla S has the same engine as the celica, although it may be detuned Im not sure. 180hp 1.8 liter in a 2500lb car...

Kawasaki EX250F... my last tankful got 59 MPG, Cheap on the used market @ $1200-$1800, reliable as the sunrise, parts & upgrades are cheap, ability to safely carry passengers, run all day @ highway speeds... what's not to like?

53guy said:
If I were using it for gas mileage, I'd get the 1.8T.

No, no, no. If you want mileage, you go TDI. If you want mileage + fast, get a TDI and chip it.

to try to bring this on track

any comments on the mitsubishi lancer?
im hopefully going towards a 5 speed OZ rally edition

cas

ps i drove a 5speed jetta yesterday and it was nice but trying to get use to the bubble look.

Your best bet is to drive as many of the suggested cars as you can. You might be surprised. As far as the lancer goes, I haven't heard much good about mitsubishi reliability. I don't have any first hand experience, but from looking at eclipses, not something I would want as a worry free DD. Not sure if the lancer is like the others, but I would research.

Also to consider is if you do want a reliable DD on a college students budget, don't plan on going FI on a NA vehicle. The setup, downtime, and tinker time will add up. Just like building a big XJ, it becomes a great vehicle but not cheap DD material. Maybe you have time, tools, and cash. I don't know. But in general, highly modified, cheap, and reliable don't happen together. But if you pick up a car that picks up the pace with tuning, bolt ons, psi increase, it isn't as likely to be a unreliable DD.

Just a few thoughts, I think you are definately on the right track in looking for AWD, great year round, and faster off the line.

srimes said:
Dodge neon. Cheap, reliable, great fuel economy, and fast. One of the best handling cars out there and lots of options to make big power. That's what I want to get. Show them rice boys how it's done.

I'd second the Neon, those things did so well in SCCA competition that the rules were re-written to so the Neon wasn't competitive anymore (this was after Chrysler Corp funded/sponsored the class the cars competed in as well as sponsored SCCA in general)

98XJSport said:
Your best bet is to drive as many of the suggested cars...

Start with the one in post #4. That way you save all that time you'd waste test driving all those puny little rollerskate cars :D

Oh, and Aparke4...

aparke4 said:
...and man it is nice to drive a car!

Sacrilege!

XJ Dreamin' said:
Oh, and Aparke4...

Sacrilege!
you know. I just had that same thought today. Now that the POS civic has 4 working brakes, it's kinda nice to drive something that I don't have to shift, will do 70 without any shakes/shimmys/wandering.
and when I hit train tracks my kidneys stay in place.
Getting a DD might be the best thing ever for the Jeep as well. Cause now you can wrench on it and do major projects without freaking out if it's done to drive to work on Monday.

1992-1995 Honda Civic VX Hatchback (yes, VX). It was ahead of it's time, kind of a technology demonstrator rated at 55 MPG (yes, 55). Comes with factory alloys, a/c, seats 5 and damn near drives itself. I found out about these while researching Geo Metros for what was then a daily 90 mile round trip to work. They're scarce but I finally came across one at a decent price about 8 years ago. I put a zillion miles on it as a commuter, my teenage son is the main driver of it these days and it's never had any serious problems.

ford svt contour. fun as hell and kinda fast but it handles really good. theres a turbo kit in the works for 3k thatll give it bone stock 275whp up from its current output of 195

alsodon said:
1992-1995 Honda Civic VX Hatchback (yes, VX). It was ahead of it's time, kind of a technology demonstrator rated at 55 MPG (yes, 55). Comes with factory alloys, a/c, seats 5 and damn near drives itself. I found out about these while researching Geo Metros for what was then a daily 90 mile round trip to work. They're scarce but I finally came across one at a decent price about 8 years ago. I put a zillion miles on it as a commuter, my teenage son is the main driver of it these days and it's never had any serious problems.

good car, i dont know why they dont make something like it again ... everyone "SAYS" they care about milage, it wasnt funky looking (i prefer civic's in the hatchback style) i think they only had about 64 hp but cant have everything. My dads mazda 323 when i was little had like 80 hp and i remeber cramming like 6 people in it on one trip through the hills of penn. Never seemed like it would not make it up a hill/mountain.

My recomendations would be a civic si hatchback. Hatchbacks rule, you can fit anything in them. The si isnt as much hp as the integra but its still plenty fun.

Why do you like the lancer? I like the suburu impreza wrx better in every way. You can get an older 2002 ish wrx pretty cheap these days.

Last edited:
Personally, I never have liked the jap. imports (with the exception of about 3 of them)....but thats just me, and I have my reasons.

My vote is for the V-dub. Can't beat a good TDI, but even the gassers have come a long long way in reliability lately.

Back