• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

project mom jeans...for all the wj haters :)

altrocker1

NAXJA Forum User
well...its going to be a slooow and ongoing project but i do have a list of plans for the wj. some of which i am actually pretty interested to get going on. right now this will be the baby hauler for the next few months, then i will be taking turns working on the xj and the wj and finishing a lot of projects with both of them. it will be great having a 2 car garage right outside again for doing all the work...having my tools on the same property as the house/apt im living in is a luxury i've never had before. i cant wait! i will also have large chunks of free time (yeah i know i will also have a baby :) at home since i am going back to freelance work

anyway...here is the beast

99 wj 4.0L, 42re and 247? (i think) t case. i can never remember if its a 247 or 249...purchased for $650 from clist with 180k.

1202131406a_zps578e37e0.jpg

1202131406_zpsb5f98e26.jpg

1202131405a_zps21152e46.jpg

1202131405_zps850574ef.jpg

known problems when purchased:
-engine running hot
-steering shot
-weird electrical issues (not sure what...but thats what i was told)
-needed new wheel bearings
-airbag light was on

brown santa came and i was able to fix everything except the airbag light. still doing some reading on it, but it sounds like i should be able to track it down.

1218131740_zpsb4194734.jpg

so for less than $1000 i now have a fully functional wj that is very driveable, but still needs some things.

here is the list of things that will be taken care of before baby arrives and after baby arrives. fortunately i have a lot of donor vehicles to choose from!:

before:
-Interior Detailing
-Front Heated Seat swap (has leather...mama wants heat too)
-Glovebox (the glovebox is missing)
-Fuse cover (po drilled holes for switches and broke the mounting tabs off)
-Remove Aux lighting (has a bunch of silly leds...thus all the extra "wiring issues)
-A/C (not working...compressor looks good...hoping for an easy fix
-Mechanical Fan install (have the clutch, just need the fan)
-hood struts...dumb...may just install a prop rod
-trunk struts...go figure a jeep with worn out hatch struts
-power locks...seems to just be loose wires. they work now.
-power windows...same as the locks
-sticky hatch...latch sticks...probably similar issue to the xj latches

after baby (this is where the fun starts :):

most of this work will happen once this becomes my vehicle primarily...
-242 swap

-overland/special edition/ or limited grille to replace the chrome (may just paint)

-mild lift...not sure how big yet

-jk moabs with either 31's or 32's

-axle re-gearing and d44a swap...these should be plenty strong for that tire size

-aw4 swap. i've spoken with several people who have made it work and i have a few leads on how to do it without a cel. it will be complicated, but not having to worry about the 42re will make it all worth it. i already have the tranny and the tcu...mostly it will be moving the crossmember and drilling it for an aw4 mount, fabbing shifter linkages, and tapping wires for the aw4 tcu. the rest will involve computer stuff that is out of my league...that will be handled by others smarter than me!

-4.6 or 4.7l stroker build/install. melissa's cousins' fiancee is into building motors...i told him i wanted to build a stroker over christmas. i provide beer and parts and he helps me build it (okay...so maybe he just builds it with me watching).

after all this...who knows. i had to abandon the j10 project when we moved here and it broke my heart, so i'm really chomping at the bit to get going on something soon. step one will be making sure this wj is baby ready, then step 2 will be finding melissa a new dd after we move into the house.

i want the end result to be something like this:

WJ002.jpg

couple more pics...

its pretty astounding to me that the po left this stereo in for the sale price...

1228131320_zpsf3f386f3.jpg

interior is pretty clean

1228131321_zpsf0c01ea0.jpg

i need to check my fuses...supposedly the airbag fuse can blow hooking up a new battery. they also have clockspring issues, but i have cruise and my horn works, so i think my clockspring is fine

1228131321a_zps75c8c386.jpg

Nice.. I bought our WJ cheap needing an engine..

Why the mechanical fan swap? The windows and locks are most certainly the wiring in drivers door jamb.

I'll be amazed if you get the AW-4 and no CEL.

mechanical fan won't be a swap...just an add on. mine only has an e-fan right now, would like to have a little extra insurance in case the efan goes out. plus it will be towing a small boat occasionally. the mechanical fans really don't rob any engine power until they are locked up...at that point i would rather cool the engine down and save the head if the stupid relay dies again.

i won't believe the aw4 cel thing until i see it...i've been told by a computer guru that it can be done, its just beyond my level of comprehension.

Lookin good Craig, can't wait for progress!

Here's what mine looked like before I sold it. 3" OME HD springs on all 4 corners, matching 5100 Billies, JKS front trackbar, Moog steering stabalizer. JK Hyper silver wheels with 265/70/17 Nitto All terrains. Those tires did not like to be turned when backing up, they hit the front bumper on level ground. May I suggest a slightly smaller overall diameter tire than i did if you are going the JK wheel route. Drove like a dream though! 4.7L with Magnaflow muffler, sounded amazing! Gobs of power.

Back