• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys In Cab Cage...

Thats just a rollbar, not a cage. And it used to be 180.

I used it for the starting point to mine. That was when there were no other alternatives to a 1 off cage, nowadays...there are better choices.

HTH

Rev

BrettM said:
so it's a single tube of 2" (probably HREW) with a few mounting brackets, and they want $220 plus truck freight?!?! :rolleyes:

and they don't even know what they're talking about; it says "mandrel bent", that's a load of BS.

Ya never know, it could've been bent by Barbara Mandrel at her newly completed off-road shop in Malibu.

barbara01.jpg

Not really a big deal, but I wouldn't start with it because it's 2". I think 1 3/4" is perfect for cage work. If you're planning on adding on, why not start by building the hoop yourself. It should cost less than half the cost of the Rollbar and would be a perfect starter project.

"NOTE: This product is designed to help protect in case of a roll over or side impact but is sold as a show bar"

I would agree with them, it is a show bar..... which is pointless IMO.

nitrogt101 said:
"NOTE: This product is designed to help protect in case of a roll over or side impact but is sold as a show bar"

I would agree with them, it is a show bar..... which is pointless IMO.

That note is no different than the common "sport cage" designation on many other sites. Just a CYA in this age of rampant litigation.

There's no reason to assume this rollbar wouldn't add some strength to the roof for some added roll over protection. You want more, you pay more.

thisfirstlove said:
PS i dont want to hear about how much you personally dont like rustys stuff...i want to hear from ppl that have experance with this product...Thanks
OK so you know that many people on this site hate Rustys junk but you are still thinking of buying his stuff anyway? Now after seeing a few responces you decide to go with someone elses stuff.
Not flaming you but I always wonder...If I was looking for something he or someone else sold that had that bad of reputation I think I would have looked somewhere else before even starting a thread like this one.

DrMoab said:
OK so you know that many people on this site hate Rustys junk but you are still thinking of buying his stuff anyway? Now after seeing a few responces you decide to go with someone elses stuff.
Not flaming you but I always wonder...If I was looking for something he or someone else sold that had that bad of reputation I think I would have looked somewhere else before even starting a thread like this one.

I have never had a problem with rustys stuff, everything i have ever ordered and used from him has been great. i was just wondering if anyone had used this "roll cage" I decided to go with the D&C cage just because it is infact a full cage that would mimimize on my fabrication...since my fab skills are pretty limited

BrettM said:
so it's a single tube of 2" (probably HREW) with a few mounting brackets, and they want $220 plus truck freight?!?! :rolleyes:

and they don't even know what they're talking about; it says "mandrel bent", that's a load of BS.

Why is the "mandrel bent" statement deemed a load of BS? Just about every aftermarket show/roll bar is mandrel bent...so why wouldn't this one be? From my understanding....Mandrel bent is just a term/statement that says the tubing was bent with either a high dollar mandrel bender (very rarely other than in high number production by big name brand shops/factories) .... or a nice and acceptable bend that keeps the original diameter throughout the bend and is done with a following style dye...also known as "mandrel bending". At least to all the chassis makers and roll-cage/nerf/stinger fabricators....and to all the exhaust shops that I've ever known and/or dealt with. I'd just about bet that D & C's and the bar sold by Rusty's are/were bent on a very similar bender by both. I do think that D & C's would be the better deal for what you get for your money though.

A friend or two and myself are just thinking about pitching in and getting a good Tubing Bender and then I'll just bend/weld up my own. The only thing about D & C's that I didn't like is....I think...that they used to be 1 1/2" tubing and I'd rather have 1 3/4" tubing myself....or maybe even 2". But it's all in personal preference and I'm sure their's is plenty strong enough for the job it's sold to do.
Aron

BigDawgz said:
Why is the "mandrel bent" statement deemed a load of BS? Just about every aftermarket show/roll bar is mandrel bent...so why wouldn't this one be? From my understanding....Mandrel bent is just a term/statement that says the tubing was bent with either a high dollar mandrel bender (very rarely other than in high number production by big name brand shops/factories) .... or a nice and acceptable bend that keeps the original diameter throughout the bend and is done with a following style dye...also known as "mandrel bending". At least to all the chassis makers and roll-cage/nerf/stinger fabricators....and to all the exhaust shops that I've ever known and/or dealt with. I'd just about bet that D & C's and the bar sold by Rusty's are/were bent on a very similar bender by both. I do think that D & C's would be the better deal for what you get for your money though.

A friend or two and myself are just thinking about pitching in and getting a good Tubing Bender and then I'll just bend/weld up my own. The only thing about D & C's that I didn't like is....I think...that they used to be 1 1/2" tubing and I'd rather have 1 3/4" tubing myself....or maybe even 2". But it's all in personal preference and I'm sure their's is plenty strong enough for the job it's sold to do.
Aron

If they didn't use a mandrel it is not mandrel bent.

mandrel:

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Man"drel\, n. [F. mandrin, prob. through (assumed) LL.
mamphurinum, fr. L. mamphur a bow drill.] (Mach.)
(a) A bar of metal inserted in the work to shape it, or to
hold it, as in a lathe, during the process of
manufacture; an arbor.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

mandrel

SYLLABICATION: man·drel
PRONUNCIATION: mndrl
VARIANT FORMS: or man·dril
NOUN: 1. A spindle or an axle used to secure or support material being machined or milled. 2. A metal rod or bar around which material, such as metal or glass, may be shaped. 3. A shaft on which a working tool is mounted, as in a dental drill.

ALSO....according to American Heritage dictionary, Encarta dictionary and other construction terminology dictionaries and the National Contractor Referrals and License Bureau's glossary of contruction terminology.

Mandrel.

1. A tapered axle inserted into a hole in a piece of work to support it during machining.

2. A metal bar used as a core around which material may be cast, molded, forged, BENT, or otherwise formed.

3. The shaft and bearings on which a tool is mounted, as in a drill or circular saw.
Aron

Last edited:
Back