• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance tail pipe section selection

The 2.5" is $100 plus $30 shipping on eBay for stainless, guy said 2.25" would be same price. I'm local-ish so shipping no issue for me. Only thing I don't like is no rod welded on for hanger.

Magnaflow, or other "straight thru" type muffler is best for little to no drone. Depending on the muffler it will have a slight "tune" to it. I like how mine sounds with the Maggy 14" 4x9oval and turn down.
If you want quieter, I would go with the 16 or 18. I picked my muffler up on amazon for around 50$. For "stock replacement" you will want center in, offset out.
A good local exhaust shop, with mandrel bender should be able to do something for you for a good price.

if you look around you can get the dynomax catback for under $75 to your door from some amazon vendors (and Prime) I just sold the xj I put one on 6 years ago and there were no rust issues, and I live in a salt the roads to death state

I installed the Rusty's Cat-Back using the Flowmaster 50. The system is rugged and has taken a real pounding on the 4x4 trails.

The Flowmaster 50 does have a noticeable drone at highway rpms. Not disagraeeable, but noticeable.

I think the Iron Rock baffled is a clone "Flowmaster like" muffler.

I elected to go to a muffler shop and get a mild performance muffler for my XJ with a new tail pipe where everything was high and tight with no rattles. I have always preferred a custom bent tailpipe for any off road use at all. With the 4.0 engine the cost of any higher priced cat-back system IMHO is a total waste of money. On my race cars that require mufflers (over 5-600 hp) then I spend the money after checking them on a dyno for results, only then.

The cost out the door was under $100 for everything including all new mounts and lifetime warranty on the muffler/tailpipe. I know I left nothing on the table this way including extra cash.

I decided to keep the factory sized pipe (2.25) and go with an 18" (stock sized) magnaflow. It sounds great.. just a little louder than stock. I have a tunderbolt cat going on next.

I don't know if its true but I didn't want to loose any low end torque by going to a larger 2.5 pipe, plus I didn't want it very loud.

I decided to keep the factory sized pipe (2.25) and go with an 18" (stock sized) magnaflow. It sounds great.. just a little louder than stock. I have a tunderbolt cat going on next.

I don't know if its true but I didn't want to loose any low end torque by going to a larger 2.5 pipe, plus I didn't want it very loud.

Were do you get a factory size 2.25 tail pipe? any one have anything to back up the argument between 2.25 and 2.5? does it really make any difference?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-17340...sr=8-1&keywords=dynomax+catback+jeep+cherokee

Here you go. My roommate put this on. It's hardly louder and is supposed to be one of the best catbacks for a Cherokee as far as increasing power goes.

I had that catback installed originally and it had a nice rumble to it. I wanted something louder, so I switched out the dynomax super turbo for a Aero Turbine muffler AT2525. I'm still running that same dynomax tail pipe but it has a 2.5 inch pipe adapted to it from the outlet of the aero muffler. I actually felt a gain in torque switching to that muffler. Got it from ebay. I definitely recommend it.

Back