• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap with lift

Jawbonz

NAXJA Forum User
I've lurked around here off/on for awhile, but seeing how I'm going from YJ/XJ to just XJ now, it's time to immerse a bit more. Last fall, I had a pinion bearing failure in my D35 (low fluid) that led to the pinion welding to the bearing race. It's not coming out without a torch and destruction.

I just so happened to have a YJ SOA built 8.8 w/ 4.88s and a Detroit, that is being modified for the XJ instead.

The friend helping me with the swap/upgrade, recommended going with Deaver springs, and following some JeepSpeed specs, but that is quickly getting to be a bit too rich right now for what I have in mind.

Rusty's and IRO are where I'm leaning right now, so I'd like some input on these two options, and if I should branch out a bit.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...kits/rustys-xj-cherokee-4-5-advanced-kit.html

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...e=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X5LK&Category_Code=PFX

Honestly, stay away from rustys.

Piecing together your own kit is really the best way to go.

Also keep in mind at 4.5 inches, you will need an sye and.driveshaft to.go.with it.

You also might consider becoming a member of NAXJA. Many sponsors offer a discount on parts, which can help when beginning a build.

Not to mention the volumes of info, and helpful members ask across the country, events, etc.

what lift height are you shooting for?

for the rear, i would recommend a 2.5-3.5" spring with shackle relocation brackets and an extended shackle. youll get the best ride and articulation out of this combination. also, stay away from rustys, your better off doing a bastard pack. but dont skimp on springs now and youll thank yourself years down the road.

I'm looking for around 5" at this point. Both get me within a half-inch, and I've already anticipated the driveshaft work. A SYE seems like a no-brainer at this point, so I'm planning those into the build.

My 98 XJ isn't bone stock, but it's a little weak right now. Both diffs had Ox Lockers, until the rear blew. I'm selling the D35 Ox now, as the grenade didn't affect it; the problem was all in the pinion. Mild 2' lift that flattened out, currently riding on 32" Cooper STTs. I want a bit more clearance and articulation being the chief reasons.

If Rusty's is out, what direction on the springs/coils would you recommend? Spend the money on the Deaver stuff for the rear and go another way for the coils, or both Deaver?

Don't think going tall is the only way to deal with lots of flex. After all key is low with lots of droop. Don't need a ton of up traval even for a DD.

Agreed. I do want clearance simply a little more altitude. That ride height looks really good to me. What are your thoughts on the droop side?

After all key is low with lots of droop. Don't need a ton of up traval even for a DD.
You need uptravel if you want to go fast.

OP: I am really happy with my deavers all the way around.
I know its a bit of coin to drop all at once.
For me deaver coils + prothanes in the front and deavers + shackle relocators in the rear have made a world.of difference for.my.originally rustys sprung rig. Like going from a bowl of.jello on a pogo stick, to a trophy truck.

Dont forget some.good.shocks.

I don't appreciate the near necessity of having to explain why I started laughing in the middle of the room at work...not cool. Jello on a pogo stick to a trophy truck, still laughing on the inside.

We don't wheel fast here anyway, so rapid response suspension isn't really a need, unless I started racing local tracks. Then, I'll need a cage and a bunch of other hardware that isn't in the budget yet.

Your baseline recommendations then, are for Deaver coils/Prothane spacers up front, with Deaver springs and shackle relocation in the rear, correct? Admittedly, I haven't dug much into coil/spring lifts since my focus has been leaf packs only up to this point.

Need to still consider:

• Budget - Maximum $3k
  • Front 4.88 ring/pinion
  • Shocks (Bilstein or RE?)
  • SYE
  • Driveshaft work (front/rear?)
  • Upper control arms
  • Lower control arms
  • Track bar
  • Sway bar disconnects
  • One of those pine tree air fresheners

Last edited:
Honestly, stay away from rustys.

Piecing together your own kit is really the best way to go.

Also keep in mind at 4.5 inches, you will need an sye and.driveshaft to.go.with it.

You also might consider becoming a member of NAXJA. Many sponsors offer a discount on parts, which can help when beginning a build.

Not to mention the volumes of info, and helpful members ask across the country, events, etc.

I've had rustys adjustable upper and lower short arms for 5 years with 0 complaints. And I've heard their leaf springs are made by a well known supplier. But saying all this i will never use anything trackbar or steering related they sell as I've seen and heard the issues.

Rustys makes a pretty slick 4 link long arm kit for the front thats very reasonable think it was sub 1k last i looked with arms brackets and everything needed ( no springs or anything else it's a upgrade kit )

Or check poly performance , or hd offroad for a nice starting point for a 3 link kit for the front that will provide good flex for reasonable price.

As for rear leafs I'm using a bastard pack i put togather with junkyard stuff not great works ok. But planing to buy deavers for the rear in the near future.

when i was swapping my 9", i looked at TMRs website and thought, "i can make those." so i did:

TMRs'
leaf_spring_perch_3.jpg

mine:
1017738_624510824270004_1102927995_n.jpg

i made them a little longer on one side as to help with axle wrap. does it work? i dont know... but its on there. and i also made them wider and added a center rib that is keyed.

i couldnt stand to put this garbage on my jeep:
1506493_635036996550720_2458643873887317032_n.jpg

final product:
1277786_643809479006805_1961672337194663637_o.jpg

and some bling:
10348701_643809919006761_5798868660278749480_o.jpg

10257070_643809482340138_5699377033615835799_o.jpg

RE 3.5" springs, RE 1" shackle, HDOR relocation brackets... ~5" lift, 35s:
10300289_643810419006711_6104046176470906691_n.jpg

front was addressed later... i still need to make a turtle shell to help protect the 9". but in all honesty, i wouldnt do UBEs again. not that i question my welds, but i dont like the idea of relying solely on them to retain my axle. when has anyone ever said, "i got hung up on my dang Ubolts!"

That setup looks great. 33s or 35s are the next upgrade, but I should probably look at doing something else with the front by that point. Going to have to stick to 32s for now with a wedding/honeymoon coming up in a few months.

I've settled on Deaver 5.5" coils up front and 3.5" springs in the back, with boomerang shackles to get it leveled, at the suggestion of Deaver. I'll call to confirm tomorrow, but it seems that is all they have for XJ now.

Shocks - Starting to settle on Bilstein 5125s, but looking at maybe holding off on ordering until everything else is setup and I can measure. Although, the 5.5-6.5" package *should* work in theory. Input appreciated.

Control arms - Really struggling with direction to take here, but BDS is starting to look good.

Track bar - Really struggling with direction to take here.

3-link may be a future option, but not right now. I'd prefer to get her rolling again, as she's been down since fall. Winter here sucked.

SYE - Either Teraflex or Rugged Ridge, are what seem to strike me right now.

Sway bar discos - Leaning heavily toward JKS Quicker Disconnects.

Thanks for the recommendations/suggestions so far.

Last edited:
I've used both the RE1600 and Clayton trackbar so far. The RE was adequate once I got everything tight and not coming loose. Clayton's is pure beef. The joint is almost twice the size as RE. I'm also currently using the bilstein 5125. They're great, no complaints so far. Ride better than my old rancho 9000 adjustables, but that could be due to better control arm angels as well. For control arms: maybe ask your local chapter if anyone has used ones for sale to save a few bucks?

So, I may not be going the Deaver route now. Keeping within a $3k budget is leaving me with not much wiggle room on anything, and I haven't included things like extended brake lines yet, either.

Just when I think I have my plan, reality comes with a left hook, and holding to budgets sucks.

A major issue that I could use recommendations on...

- Wrong bolts used by previous owner/shop to drop skid plate/cross member, so the holes are pretty well stripped on the passenger side, and the self tapping bolt on the driver side. I found out when trying to torque them to spec for the new cross member/LA bracket. I need to fix them.
Heli coils? Cutting holes from the top to get nuts on?

Cutting holes in the side for some sort of custom nutsert isn't really an option, as I have a side bracket that reinforces the support for the LA setup, and need the bolts that hold both pieces together, to remain that way.

Back