• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap with lift

Someone in a local club suggested that maybe the tacked nuts inside the unibody broke free, and to try buzzing it with an impact to see if it will suck down first. I'll give that a shot, then probably go larger. Can anyone confirm there are nuts in there, or do the bolts just thread right into the unibody and that's it? Friggin' jackholes. I always worried about what would happen when I pulled those bolts out, long before the LA kit. They weren't flush, looked to be cross threaded, and when they finally were pulled out, it was coarse thread bolts rather than fine, and about a half-inch too long in every case.

I ran into this. I used a plasma to cut the nutsert out from the bottom, then cut a hole in the floor from the interior to weld a new nut in place. PITA

A major issue that I could use recommendations on...

- Wrong bolts used by previous owner/shop to drop skid plate/cross member, so the holes are pretty well stripped on the passenger side, and the self tapping bolt on the driver side. I found out when trying to torque them to spec for the new cross member/LA bracket. I need to fix them.
Heli coils? Cutting holes from the top to get nuts on?

Cutting holes in the side for some sort of custom nutsert isn't really an option, as I have a side bracket that reinforces the support for the LA setup, and need the bolts that hold both pieces together, to remain that way.

If you are speaking of the tranny mount cross member:

While swapping a transmission mount trying to find the reason for my vibes, I found that I had one of the cross member bolts broken off and one stripped.

I read over the various forums and saw that this nutsert deal is an inferior way of fastening a high stress area like the cross member. I am surprised there are not more issues with them.

If you drill and tap to a bigger size you essentially weaken the nut sert even more as they are basically a thin walled steel sleeve with threads.

Here is what I did:
I bought some 1/2x13 bolts and nyloc nuts 2" long due to my TC drop
Took out the seat and lower door molding
pulled back carpet
took a punch and drove out the existing nutserts. Easy peasy
punched up through the existing hole underneath to dent the floor board
drilled down through the floor board from the top with a 1 1/4" hole saw

installed bolts from the top down through the tc drop and cross member.

Now no vibes and I doubt they will ever need anything else.

I debated on welding them in place. I felt like the heat on the bolt or nut might weaken it.

If I ever do need to remove the cross member and the bolts spin, I will simply remove the seats and go in from the top with a ratchet and extension.

Back