• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes officer, my bumpers ARE legal....

Your bumper would have a hard time reaching the front windshield of a small vehicle, unless it was a very high speed impact. Sure the other vehicle would go right under, but it’s not too far before they impact the rear axle. I had an RX7 go under mine a few days ago and my bumper was about half way up his hood and his bumper was only inches from my rear axle. (No damage to my rig, but man was his hood ugly!)

Neil said:
Your bumper would have a hard time reaching the front windshield of a small vehicle, unless it was a very high speed impact. Sure the other vehicle would go right under, but it’s not too far before they impact the rear axle. I had an RX7 go under mine a few days ago and my bumper was about half way up his hood and his bumper was only inches from my rear axle. (No damage to my rig, but man was his hood ugly!)

Your up kinda early, :sunshine:

When did this acccident happen?

Day before yesterday, the guy was kind of retarded. I don't think he had insurance. I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it. I do kind of see the need for a gas tank skid though, that's what did most of the damage to his hood, although the hole that the recever made was kind of cool :shhh:

By Mgolden
People DO have a choice as to their chosen career, though. People also have a moral obligation to think for themselves and not blindly follow what the "authority" say they should do

I think what Mgolden is trying to say is, question authority. That I agree with... That is what this country is founded on. This country is a melting pot of opinions. Opinons are like a$$ holes, everybody has one, some just stink more than others.
Neil

Ya know, I hear this debated over and over every summer here where I work.

I have been a police officer since 1992, and I have written alot of tickets. And the only time I have ever written a ticket to someone for a "modification" (lift, exhaust...etc) is if they were doing some thing really stupid. After all just because I'm a cop, doesnt mean that I dont like "cool" stuff too. My XJ is setting on 35s with 5" lift front and rear. My previous vehicle was an 88 bronco with 33s and 3 inches of lift (NO MUFFLERS... :shhh: ).

So dont judge all cops by one officer that takes stuff like that more serious than others.

Last edited:
My buddy and I did. Its a rock stomper hinge, an industrial latch, and some square stock. Nothin fancy, we welded three lug nuts onto a cut out circle to hold the tire on.

Incredible Hulk said:
My buddy and I did. Its a rock stomper hinge, an industrial latch, and some square stock. Nothin fancy, we welded three lug nuts onto a cut out circle to hold the tire on.

Where did you get the latch? And is Rock Stomper a company name or a kind of hinge? I'd like to build my own, but I want to make sure that I've got a strong hinge that won't sag over time. Any close-ups that you might have of the hinge and latch mechanism would be grealy appreciated.

Robert

The latch is made by by J& Industrial. It was called the Destaco 344. I know that carr lnae makes latchess too. We foudn it in the industrial parts catalog at my buddies work.
Rock stomper is a compane for beefy parts. Heres a link:
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm
And heres some pics of my bumper (Minus the extension)
7de592c9.jpg

latch.JPG

hinge.JPG

carrier2.JPG

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions I can try to answer.
josh

Up here in Minnesota I have friends that are state toopers. On his computer he can punch up stock vehicle measurements in his squad. If the front or rear bumpers are not within allowable spec. He can write you. Guess I am glad there my friends. He said he normally will not bother unless the person starts getting an attitude. I have 4.5" of lift 31" tires with high clearance front and rear bumpers. They said that they could have a lot of fun with me if they got out the tape measure. They also are not very impressed with my off road lights mounted above the hood line. If you do you better have them covered. Lets just say I would not have a beer and try to sneak home with my rolling violation. Good thing I do not have a serious lift and tire combo!

Joe

Looked up the "HTA" - Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario and this is what it says:

Regulations re bumpers

81. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations requiring any type or class of commercial motor vehicle or trailer to be equipped with rear bumpers and prescribing the location and means of attachment of the bumpers and prescribing the specifications for the bumpers. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 81.

Sounds confusing to me, however talking with a MTO officer, they say you must have bumpers on your ride, as for the location and heights, well that is not part of the law in Ontario Canada.....guess I will be sticking North of the Boarder for now.....and then its off to the NWT for real driving pleasure!!lol

Jeff

Being a fellow LE Officer, I have to say this... I've have never written anybody that showed respect for me and my profession.... Now... If this person ever became an a$$, then all bets are off... I myself like fast cars, bikes, lifted 4x4's etc. etc....

I once stopped a guy on a bike... 80 in a 55.... he was a cool guy... no problems at all.... he let me ride his brand new 502hp BOSS HOSS.... He didn't get a ticket....

Back