• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Review: Rugged Ridge XHD Off-Road Reclining Seat

USMCGunrock

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

Mods: I don't know if this is the right section, so if it's in the wrong spot, please move to the correct place.

Anywho, I would just like to make a review on this seat that I just purchased because looking into a replacement for my sagging OE seat I couldn't find anything other than two reviews from Amazon on it.

A little history why I decided to purchase this. The past few weeks I've been traveling to different work sites and spending between 2-3 hours each way on traffic was doing a number on my back. My 2001 XJ's seat wasn't cutting it so I needed a replacement. I looked into a few brands: Corbeau, Smittybilt, MasterCraft and Rugged Ridge. Wanting to get a reclining seat that would be comfortable and affordable, I decided on the RR.

The RR seat looks just like the MasterCraft and Smittybilt but about 20-50% less in cost. It also doesn't need to have a separate adapter to fit it into the XJ. It also has an adjustable lumbar support! Seeing that I took the plunge even tho there isn't much talk about it.

After receiving it today, in the process of installing it, I thought to myself..."Self...lets do a little write-up so that when the next person decides to check these seats out, they have something to read about".

So here it goes!

One thing I notice first is that this seat is heavier than the OE. It is also bigger than the OE. While installing the mounting brackets, I noticed that the base is beefy and the way it's put together was actually good.

BTW, this whole removal and installation took about 30-40 minutes. Most of the time was spent trying to figure out how to mount the year specific mounting brackets that came with this. This seat comes with mounting brackets/adapters for 03-06 TJ/LJ and 84-01 XJ.

Here are pix out of the box it came in:
20131106_162411_zpsdf2fa7cf.jpg
20131106_162406_zps55cec61b.jpg

Here are samples of the hardware that came with it. It comes with 13mm nut strips, 8 13mm bolts (4 long and 4 shorts..the shorts are the ones for the XJ) and a bunch of little washers. As you can see, the nut strip is just welded on one side..so it's not flushed on the metal strip...slags everywhere too....
20131106_202903_zpse65d3bee.jpg

I don't like the washers that came with this. They are thin and too wide..and as you can see, the stamping isn't all that great either.
20131106_202918_zpse0269fdf.jpg
20131106_202939_zps13222654.jpg

I did sat on the seat out of the box but didn't really notice much until I already had it in the jeep. Maybe because I was just too anxious to have it installed and it was getting dark. In the jeep it felt firm and didn't move. What I did finally notice was that it felt small. I'm only 5'9", 32 waist (good thing I went on a diet a few months ago and came down from a 36). So I took the tape measure out and did some measuring.

The seating area from bolster to bolster is only 13" wide. I know this is a "race/off-road" seat so I expected a seat that hugs. I'm familiar with these type of seats..I used to have Sparco and Ricaro seats before, but this felt too tight on me or just that I've been used to my saggy OE seat.
20131106_203644_zps1b33f107.jpg

My OE seats ends almost to the back of my knee and this seems to end a bit midway down the back of my thighs. Measuring it, the seat is about 17" deep.
20131106_203832_zpsbff133ad.jpg

The backrest was fine tho. It actually felt firm and hugs my back/sides the right way. The backrest is a bit taller than the OE at about 30.5". It does come with an adjustable lumbar support that's adjusted via hand pump. It has an air bladder on the backrest that you pump. The pump is similar to what they use to pump the air bladder on a blood pressure cuff...so you pump to inflate and then there is a knob you twist open to deflate. No pic of that right now.
20131106_203950_zps51bc2944.jpg

Installed, it actually looks good in it.
20131106_173631_zps0259b303.jpg

So, getting comfy and adjusting the seat, I noticed that it's hard to use the recliner nob on it because, one, the mechanism is tight, two, there isn't much room to work with since it is so close to the b-pillar.
20131106_203755_zps9cdf0ade.jpg

I didn't install the adjustment knob by the center console because..well..it won't fit!
20131106_203807_zpsd9bde8a1.jpg

Another is that the whole seat is so wide with the bolsters that it's a pain to get to the seat belt lock
20131106_203741_zps11deacbc.jpg

My jeep is only lifted 3" with 31" tires..getting off this will need some getting used to because the left side bolster catches your (_!_) and that's kinda uncomfortable. I can see that bolster wearing out pretty quickly. Hopefully by then I've saved up enough $ for a replacement and I will just switch this over to the passenger side.

Would I recommend this seat? Maybe, but only if you are small enough to be comfortable in it or looking for more inexpensive alternatives. Well, if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

-Ed

Why did you not just get some comfy bolt-in WJ seats? Haha.
I too have been looking for a replacement seat. Your post pretty much has answered all my questions.
Big question.. how much did you pay? Did you actually purchase from amazon, or just get reviews from there?

Big question.. how much did you pay? Did you actually purchase from amazon, or just get reviews from there?

AMAZON! hehehehe

Everywhere else you are looking at about $300 plus shipping. On Amazon I got it for $270 (I got taxed cuz of NJ:smsoap:) but it came with a 2 day shipping (Prime). Right now it's $246 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045EAIDQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will update more when I get home. So far so good when it comes to comfort.

Update:

I just got home not too long ago and spent close to 5 hours to and from work, in traffic 80 miles round trip. All I can say is...my back didn't bother me! On something like that, I'd be squirming in my seat about half an hour into the ride, trying to get a good position. A few pumps on the lumbar support and I'm good to go. One thing I did notice is that the lumbar support air bladder deflates some after an hour..a few squeeze on the pump and it's good again.

This is the lumbar pump. As you can see it's just like those pumps on blood pressure monitor cuffs. I have mine placed on the right side but you can also switch it to be held on the left side. In front of each bolster is a velcro hoop strap for use of the pump placement.
DSC08684_zps5f21e500.jpg

Another thing is that this seat goes back further than OE. I usually have my seat all the way back but with this I have to have it a quarter up. I guess that's a good thing so you can push it all back when you get off your jeep..giving you room to get off and back on. If you leave it the way it is, getting in is a pain. I hit my head the first time because I was going over the bolster.

The crotch strap slit on the seat I think is placed too far back...excuse me for the lack of better words, but when I'm sitting on the seat, the slit is right behind my nutsack. I don't think you'd like to have a strap going through there unless you like that strap pressing onto you down there.

When I get some time, I'll take the seat back out and change/readjust some stuff. First would be to change the bolts that came with it. Second would be to readjust the bracket position on the base...It doesn't sit straight forward and points a bit towards the right side. Third would be to adjust the seat belt lock..I can't reach the damn thing with the high and stiff bolster in the way.

Other than those, it was very comfy to ride. After settling in the seat, it was really comfortable. Now, only time will tell how long this will last.

-Ed

This is a great review.

the nut strap is there on purpose, trust me youd much rather be forced aganst it in a head on crash than slip forward in your harness and slam into it at whatever mph you were travelling. Comfy? not so much, good idea. Yes.

This is a great review.

the nut strap is there on purpose, trust me youd much rather be forced aganst it in a head on crash than slip forward in your harness and slam into it at whatever mph you were travelling. Comfy? not so much, good idea. Yes.

What I was trying to say was that yes, nutstraps are good idea specially for a racing/off-road seat. It's just that the seat is made "small" or "shallow" that the nutstrap slit is too far back that you'll be on top of it the entire time you use it. That will be like having a frontal wedgie which will be so uncomfortable that you can't even focus on anything else..LOL If it's moved about another 3 inches forward, it be fine.

OK...So I got to work on fixing this seat belt issue I'm having and kinda got it adjusted a bit so now it slides back and forth smoother. Took about 30 minutes to do and an improvement.

This is the original location of the seat belt lock. It's on the bottom of the seat bracket.
39449e202acd0131a94222000ae848a8_zps8dbc9a0b.jpg

3200afb02acd0131a94222000ae848a8_zps90f8080d.jpg

What I did was look back at the installation manual and decipher what they had in it. I found that on the TJ/LJ the seat belt lock is installed on the side of the seat.
4dd616d02acd0131a94322000ae848a8_zpse5fe757b.jpg

52ecde602acd0131a94322000ae848a8_zpsb0043570.jpg

Having it installed this way it was so much easier buckling up instead of having to dig through the side of the seat trying to wedge in the seat belt.
5c090d102acd0131a94322000ae848a8_zpsb6598ff0.jpg

5ff4ce402acd0131a94322000ae848a8_zpse6ee79bb.jpg

-Ed

Back